SASS Wire Forum

New Henry Revover

Rip Snorter

23 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I have one Henry, a single shot 45-70 carbine.  I won first choice at an event and picked it.  Well made and excellent as was their customer service.  I respect Made in USA and their charitable expenditures.  They don't watch a lot of TV or Movies.

I have one of those as well. It’s great with 405 grain bullets loaded to 1300 fps. I shot 2 modern 360 hunting rounds in it. WOW! What a kick. I gave the other 18 rounds in the box to my neighbor. ;)

While I do subscribe to function over form in many wepons I own.

Not really true for revolvers...and IMHO, this isn't even on the bottom of a list of good lookin guns.

Kinda looks like a hodgepodge of parts and that ejecter design with barrel cut and no shroud is just ugly.

Probably a fine gun, but at anywhere north of $700 there are many much better looking options that also WORK

I always reserve judgement on something new, I commend Henry from creating a new product and pursuing a niche crowd.  I am a revolver person 1st and always welcome more revolvers.  I recently shot a new TAURUS 856 EXECUTIVE GRADE, 38 Spl +P Hand-polished satin concealed hammer 3 inch.  Henry has some real competition.....because the Taurus is a quality shooter for sub $700.

Better buy one now and keep it in the safe.  Your great grandchildren will have a valuable and rare firearm, not many are going to be made.

37 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I always reserve judgement on something new, I commend Henry from creating a new product and pursuing a niche crowd.  I am a revolver person 1st and always welcome more revolvers.  I recently shot a new TAURUS 856 EXECUTIVE GRADE, 38 Spl +P Hand-polished satin concealed hammer 3 inch.  Henry has some real competition.....because the Taurus is a quality shooter for sub $700.

Thanks for the report on that Taurus. I saw one last week and it was a fine looking revolver. 

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

When they first came out with the Golden Boy or the Big Boy, or whatever the hell it was that they called that gun they flat out lied about and said it was SASS legal even though it wasn't, I looked at one in the  gun store. I took it down and held that heavy ass awkward feeling gun for a couple of minutes, and then put it back on the wall.

I have never shot one. I also have never shot a Rhino or a Nagant or a Nambu revolver.

With so many pretty guns around, life is too short to shoot an ugly gun.

Atta boy, Alpo!

53 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I just have to ask: if this is the answer, what was the  question?

What can we make based on a 150 year old design that while functional, looks as bad as it can and costs more than anything else that could be considered in its class?

I don’t know what market is being served, but they sure sold a lot of Big Boy rifles to people who aren’t CAS shooters. Likely their customers are unaware of Colts, S&W and Ruger revolvers et al and will think these are cool because it reminds them of some old Hollywood production. 

23 hours ago, Alpo said:

I have never shot one. I also have never shot a Rhino or a Nagant or a Nambu revolver.

With so many pretty guns around, life is too short to shoot an ugly gun.

If you are referring to the Henry Big Boy as the one you have never shot, well. here's my comment on that,  While I have never liked the look of the HBB, I did have occasion to shoot one at a match once.  The 92 I had brought that week had a problem, and a fellow on the posse mentioned that he had a Henry with him that I could finish the match with.  I assumed he meant an 1860, but then he brought out the HBB.  Well, since my only alternative was shoot or go home, I graciously picked up the HBB and shot the rest of the match with it.  I found it to be a nice, smooth shooter that served me well.   The only knock I can direct at the gun was that, being a southpaw, hot gasses were spewing out the ejection port on my right wrist in an annoying manner.  Never got hit by any brass though.  Anyway, while it's not my cup of tea, I have to admit that it seems to be a well made gun.

Don't know what a Rhino is, so I can't comment.

I have a pair of Nagants.  They are actually fun gun to shoot SA style.  While far from "the best" guns for our game, I like the fact that I have them.

Isn't the Nambu an autoloader?

And finally, there is something to be said for weird looking or ugly guns.  Assuming they are serviceable, they are often fun, or at least interesting, to shoot, and can make for fascinating conversation pieces.  I have more than a couple of strange things in my collection, some SASS legal, and some not, but I do enjoy taking them out and shooting them from time to time, even if it is just for the novelty.

25 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I don’t know what market is being served, but they sure sold a lot of Big Boy rifles to people who aren’t CAS shooters. Likely their customers are unaware of Colts, S&W and Ruger revolvers et al and will think these are cool because it reminds them of some old Hollywood production. 

It gives people a double action revolver in a sort of single action style.  Maybe those Big Boy buyers want something to cosmetically match.  A 686 or GP100 don't look the best next to the Big Boy or Golden Boy.  We won't  know the ergonomics or function until it is in hand.

51 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

It gives people a double action revolver in a sort of single action style.  Maybe those Big Boy buyers want something to cosmetically match.  A 686 or GP100 don't look the best next to the Big Boy or Golden Boy.  We won't  know the ergonomics or function until it is in hand.

I don’t believe their potential market has anything to do with the Big Boy and companion revolvers. My comparison is that I think Henry knows it’s business better than we do. That is, they’ll make money on a gun that doesn’t appeal to us. 

On 4/13/2023 at 12:20 PM, sassnetguy50 said:

It is a .358 cal 30-30, 180 & 200gr at 2350 & 2200fps.  Recommended for out to 200yd straight wall hunting.  To retailer shelves this spring from Remington.   

The firearm we were discussing is chambered in 357mag/38sp.  https://www.henryusa.com/handguns/big-boy-revolver/

I assume Remington came out with the 360 Buckhammer to provide lever action fanboys who hunt in the 3 straight wall max, 1.8" case cartridge w/equal or great ballistics to 30-30.  I wonder if Winchester's 2023 introduction of the 400 Legend to one up the 360 Buckhammer for AR-15 fanboys. 

I saw this video on another forum. A quick release cylinder and 3 front sights just made this revolver a lot more interesting to me. 

The designer ain’t much of a salesman, but here’s the video anyway. 

36 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

I assume Remington came out with the 360 Buckhammer to provide lever action fanboys who hunt in the 3 straight wall max, 1.8" case cartridge w/equal or great ballistics to 30-30.  I wonder if Winchester's 2023 introduction of the 400 Legend to one up the 360 Buckhammer for AR-15 fanboys. 

Ever since the 350 came out AR guys have wanted a 400.  450 Bushmaster is too hard, 350 Legend is too soft, 400 Legend is just right.  Kind of 9mm, 40sw, 45acp argument in AR.  It was SAAMI approved a few months back, timing it to upstage the 360 is plausible. The 400 will gain tactical market the 360 won't. 

Here’s another video about the Henry revolver 

Interesting comments from Truth About Guns here. The gent in the video really likes it, but I haven’t seen any reports anywhere about how they shoot. 
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/henry-big-boy-revolvers-at-nra-show-2023-video/

Archived