SASS Wire Forum

Cylinder spin?

Dark Horse Charlie

Really just curious, why is at half cock when loading 1 revolver the cylinder spins smooth and free with no drag. But when I do the same with another one it is stiff and needs to be manipulated? 

What is that causes the cylinders to spin and what prevents them from spinning? I have this happen on Uberti and USFA SAA's, uberti outlaw 1875, and pietta BP 60 and 51s.

Does not effect shooting, just curious. 

Thanks

Dark Horse

Another consideration is how much pressure the hand is pushing on the cylinder.  If the hand spring is a strong one, the cylinder won't rotate quickly.  If the hand spring is a light one, the cylinder is more apt to spin freely, in my personal experience.

7 minutes ago, Dusty Sights, SASS # 2782 said:

Another consideration is how much pressure the hand is pushing on the cylinder.  If the hand spring is a strong one, the cylinder won't rotate quickly.  If the hand spring is a light one, the cylinder is more apt to spin freely, in my personal experience.

+1

All of those guns you mentioned other than the Uberti (unless it is pretty old) have a leaf hand spring.  The Uberti probably has a coil hand spring.  The thickness and shape of the spring determines the strength and can vary a lot.  The original design has them being pretty strong.  If they are weaker, so that the cylinder spins longer, it can contribute to over-rotation or "throw-by" of the cylinder when cocked fast.  The spring acts like a brake for the cylinder.  Most action jobs lighten that spring but everything else needs to be just right to avoid the over-rotation.  If the Uberti has a coil spring, removing the tiny setscrew that secures it, behind the backstrap ears, will remove some tension and lighten it.  To lessen tension with leaf springs, they need to be bent and there is some art to that.

Archived