SASS Wire Forum

Needed: Arizona 1866 Yellowboy gunsmith

Rawhide Rio

The loading gate ("Spoon") on '66's do have a weak point where the cartridge stop tab comes off the gate.  I'm assuming you wish to replace the gate because the cartridge stop tab has parted company.  You should be able to take down the rifle (as for cleaning) to where the right side plate is accessible.  The Spoon is it's own spring, and is held in place by one screw.

The "Interwebs" are full of DIY fixes for that weak design, but are useful only before the Spoon becomes a two-parter.  I have used JB Weld to make a little "ski ramp" at the back of the tab to support it during replacement.  It doesn't take much.

Before you go further, I'd suggest you contact Taylor's to inquire about warranty service.  They stand behind their products, and I have used their parts department many times.  If they sell a gun, they usually can supply parts for it.

2 hours ago, Beans Ahgin said:

The loading gate ("Spoon") on '66's do have a weak point where the cartridge stop tab comes off the gate.  I'm assuming you wish to replace the gate because the cartridge stop tab has parted company.  You should be able to take down the rifle (as for cleaning) to where the right side plate is accessible.  The Spoon is it's own spring, and is held in place by one screw.

The "Interwebs" are full of DIY fixes for that weak design, but are useful only before the Spoon becomes a two-parter.  I have used JB Weld to make a little "ski ramp" at the back of the tab to support it during replacement.  It doesn't take much.

Before you go further, I'd suggest you contact Taylor's to inquire about warranty service.  They stand behind their products, and I have used their parts department many times.  If they sell a gun, they usually can supply parts for it.

Shotgun Boogie is in the Phoenix area and he can take care of you, Jim Bowie at The Cowboys and Indians Store can fix you up too, he’s over on the Colorado river side somewhere.

Rio, what's wrong with it?  A 2002 model, I would think, would still have the original bulletproof ladle.  If the s/n has a W prefix then I think that's when they switched to the wimpy ladles to save a few cents.  If it was the strong ladle but somehow failed anyway, the replacement ladle will be wimpy and need reinforcment but will need the larger screw.  If the screw is boogered an you just can't get it out, you could remove the side plate and mail that to a 'smith.

I don't think Taylors will fix a 21 year old gun under warranty!  But they should stock replacements, as does VTIgunparts.com and Cimarron.

8 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Rio, what's wrong with it?  A 2002 model, I would think, would still have the original bulletproof ladle.  If the s/n has a W prefix then I think that's when they switched to the wimpy ladles to save a few cents.  If it was the strong ladle but somehow failed anyway, the replacement ladle will be wimpy and need reinforcment but will need the larger screw.  If the screw is boogered an you just can't get it out, you could remove the side plate and mail that to a 'smith.

I don't think Taylors will fix a 21 year old gun under warranty!  But they should stock replacements, as does VTIgunparts.com and Cimarron.

S/N is 92XXX.

Buy one on line and do it yourself A blind monkey could change it out in 5 min.  Plenty of videos to guide you  on how to beef it up.

Best wishes

You can do it yerself purty darn easy..

if it’s the ladle stop (little tip that holds ammo in loading tube) that

has broken off.. be sure an reinforce the new one yer putting in..

You can do this.. many videos showing how..:huh:

Just sayin’..

Archived