SASS Wire Forum

Moonshine

Subdeacon Joe

Moonshine is illegal, a bunch of marketers are selling legal and taxed distilled spirits around here and calling it moonshine. It just isn't right!

Fortunately, I still come across sweet southern tea or lemonade every now and then.

Good shine is smooth and “beads” when you shake it, making tiny globes of liquid that bounce across the surface of the liquor.

Good moonshine can be one of the safest alcoholic beverages. The good stuff will “take your legs” first.  If ya’ can’t get up, it’s hard to get into trouble! :lol:

A winter Ski-Doo party at a winterized cottage in Quebec: SWMBO and I were warned by our friends, "Bring your own booze, Don't leave your drink and don't drink anything you're offered!"

We followed the advice and watched partiers get absolutely hammered on three drinks; arguing, passing out and fighting.

Sherron , Bill, Eileen and I left very early, snowmobiled back to our place and built up the fire in the wood stove.

The hostess had bought moonshine (Wiskey Blanc) in a case of 24 stubby beer bottles, then decanted some of it into normal booze bottles still containing some good booze and added some food colouring and flavouring.

We never accepted a drink at Jeanine's, summer or winter!

In my career I have destroyed a number of illegal stills in the Georgia national forest.  One of the worst ones had old car batteries and dead possums  floating in the mash tank.  The neatest one was actually underneath a concrete pad dog lot.  To enter, we had to tilt the hinged doghouse back, exposing a set of concrete steps down to the underground still.  After getting dirty dealing in the dog lot, went to the back porch of the house and turned on the faucet to wash my hands, and discovered that the faucet dispensed clear moonshine.  The guy literally would pump direct from the still to fill up milk jugs for customers from his back porch faucet.    During WW2 when sugar was rationed, a family in North Georgia was literally receiving tractor trailer loads of sugar direct from the port in Savannah, Ga.  They became immensely wealthy.

When I moved to Tennessee, I found out it is perfectly legal to distill alcohol here for personal use as a motor fuel for off-road use.

Every now and then, I have thought about setting a leaf blower up to run on alcohol.

Probably should not say more about it :ph34r:

These are delightful.

20230412_142628.jpg

3 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

When I moved to Tennessee, I found out it is perfectly legal to distill alcohol here for personal use as a motor fuel for off-road use.

Every now and then, I have thought about setting a leaf blower up to run on alcohol.

Probably should not say more about it :ph34r:

Only if you get a federal fuel permit and then you still can’t drink it.   If you want to make it for consumption, don’t share, don’t tell.   Homedistiller.org is a good place to find everything you need to know.    Btw I used to be a professional distiller, dsp co-20051.  

15 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

Only if you get a federal fuel permit and then you still can’t drink it.   If you want to make it for consumption, don’t share, don’t tell.   Homedistiller.org is a good place to find everything you need to know.    Btw I used to be a professional distiller, dsp co-20051.  

True, but there are differences between state and federal law.

I hear Kentucky (at the state level) allows several gallons of personal spirits per year. Tennessee will prosecute personal spirits, but not limited motor fuel production.

Residents of both states are still subject to all federal requirements, the state just does not seem to care in these specific limited applications. But I would look deeper and more carefully at any applicable requirements and comply with them; I also like keeping my gun, voting, liberty, and other rights.

But at some point in the future... Maybe I could do some private label product; it just would not be authentic moonshine if all the taxes were paid.

If I drink 'shine it's the 2nd time (another day) it's offered after I see the person who distilled drinks his own hooch. And I dont drink shine from people with messed up eyes.

My wife used to run the tours the bank she worked at for their Senior clients [60 and up]. Well, one time she took them to the Maker's Mark Distillery for the tour. Several of her ladies bought chocolates there and were happily munching away. Very happily....as in lit, as the chocolates had booze in the filling! My wife said it was a very, very fun ride home for them!

Unfortunately distillation of alcohol without a permit, either drinking or fuel is prohibited at the federal level in the US.   But as many things if you don’t sell it, no one prosecutes.  The revenuers simply don’t have the manpower.  Because of this there is a vibrant community of home distillers.  Lots of vendors who can supply turn key still setups or parts to build one.  

note my icon is a still head from my 120 gallon still.  A design I worked out, a cross between a VM and a Nixon stone offset.  

12 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Unfortunately distillation of alcohol without a permit, either drinking or fuel is prohibited at the federal level in the US.   But as many things if you don’t sell it, no one prosecutes.  The revenuers simply don’t have the manpower.  Because of this there is a vibrant community of home distillers.  Lots of vendors who can supply turn key still setups or parts to build one.  

note my icon is a still head from my 120 gallon still.  A design I worked out, a cross between a VM and a Nixon stone offset.  

Too busy chasing gun owners.

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I posted this video mostly because I got a kick out of the line, "Well lick my face and call me an ice cream!"

But I like the direction it's taken.

That was a good line, wasn't it?

I've got an ancestor that was put on trial for shooting 3 men that he caught in his liquor cache. 

He was acquitted.

Reminds me of the time when Sassparilla Kid was in the eighth grade.  I received a message from his English teacher requesting a "conference."

I presented myself at said teacher's room the following morning before the start of school and introduced myself.  The issue...?  Well... there was a class assignment to write an "instructional essay,"  with the papers to be displayed at the next school 'open house.'  Kids wrote about topics including how to score a baseball game, how to change the oil on Dad's truck, how to bake a cake, and so forth.  

MY kid?  Well... his treatise was on how to make moonshine!

I was shocked - I had no idea!

"I needed to talk with you about this, Mister C, because of the 'adult nature' of his paper.  If you approve, I'll accept it.  And I gotta tell ya - I come from a long line of 'shiners, and your kid has it DOWN!" 

The Kid's paper was not displayed with the rest of the class, but he got an A+.  ^_^

image.thumb.jpeg.fcf9bf935d7cc7022f56d3fbec52f3dd.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The only Moonshine that mattes for SASS/CAS.

681e92e26dd6c20627e4c1d66bab9445.jpg.409b11df5bbccc1f743700b413f2c0e2.jpg

LARSEN!!  You’ve obviously never been to The Black Gold Shootout!!

I'm a bit surprised at their reactions.  I've tasted potcheen, an Irish form of mountain mule that will strip the chrome off your bumper, remove paint from a cinder block. and make your cows stop making milk and your hens quit laying.  It is pretty good for degreasing metal but don't let in come in physical contact and remove every trace of it almost immediately.

Some of it comes in at about 150 proof.  I doesn't taste all that good but you won't notice after the first taste because your taste buds will be paralyzed, as will your tongue and the roof of your mouth.  It makes a good mouth wash because no form of germ cam survive it.

It's Irish "hedge row likker" and can be made from almost anything you can imagine.

One of my neighbors from before I was married, hauled top quality untaxed liquor for year!  He was stopped many times and threatened with jail time, but the never actually got him with any product.

He drove an old Chevrolet 3/4 ton pickup with a diamond plate floor in the bed.  There were one inch holes drilled in the diamond plate, all over, about a foot apart. He refused to haul anything but glass jars and bottles and always drove fairly slowly.

If the cops, (revenuers) got after him he’d just take off across a field or down a rough country road and drive until all the bottles were broken.

”All they ever caught me with was busted glass and the smell!” He used to say!:lol: :lol:

Back in the old days in the little farming town in Virginia we lived in the local shine was nick named Charter Keg.  It was all purpose stuff.  You could drink it, thin paint with it or use it in your outboard motor.

On 4/12/2023 at 11:29 PM, Still hand Bill said:

Not usually enforced federally Bill, most states differ but I have helped, at least in ohio, liquor agents. Ohio Investigative unit are the "revenuers" at least in ohio,ohio ruling .....The general assembly hereby finds that the Twenty-first Amendment to the United States Constitution confers upon the state of Ohio sole and exclusive authority to regulate the sale and distribution of beer and intoxicating liquor in this state...I worked vice for a few years and we helped state agents quite a bit. Interesting stuff.

Archived