SASS Wire Forum

I might need new boots

The two pairs of "period correct" boots I have for SASS were both purchased used here on the SASS wire forum for well within your budget.  If you aren't opposed to a used pair you might try posting a WTB ad here on the classifieds.  

thanks fellas,

Tell makes a good point. My idea of "period correct" boots is tall shafts, riding heels, ideally with a spur shelf. Round, square or pointed toes are not important to me as long as they are brown and comfortable. Not "buckaroo" style with the holes at the top of the shaft.

July made a good suggestion, however since I wear a size 8 they rarely come up on the forum. I have had mixed success with used boots hence the decision to go for new.

Any retailer suggestions are appreciated.

Rev. Chase 

Was going to ask size but saw it. Sorry

Got these a few years ago. Look good and very comfortable. Spur shelf and no lugs on the bottom. Search Abilene shooter boot. Well worth the money i have a black pair as well. They came up on Amazon but i got them a elsewhere. Screenshot_20230411-144744_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.bba1f06239af1ffd77d932f2b6e0fcef.jpg

1 hour ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

thanks fellas,

Tell makes a good point. My idea of "period correct" boots is tall shafts, riding heels, ideally with a spur shelf. Round, square or pointed toes are not important to me as long as they are brown and comfortable. Not "buckaroo" style with the holes at the top of the shaft.

July made a good suggestion, however since I wear a size 8 they rarely come up on the forum. I have had mixed success with used boots hence the decision to go for new.

Any retailer suggestions are appreciated.

Rev. Chase 

Amazon has size 8. 

While they may not meet the price requirement, check out Alberta Boot Company in Calgary Alberta Canada. They will custom make almost anything and you can order any size and width from a whole list of options. They custom make boots for the film industry ( lots of Westerns have been filmed in the foothills around Calgary). They also make the Strathcona boots for the RCMP.

While not cheap, I have been wearing their boots for over 40 years and can attest they do great work.

https://www.albertaboot.ca/

Do some research the ones I bought looked good till we had rain the day before a shoot and found out the hard way the heels where made out of some kind of paper made to look like leather or wood . Two shoots is all I got out of them money wasted. Can’t get up with the company they will not answer the phone or return my message 

buyer beware

Wild West Mercantile have sales on Boulet boots that are very comfortable. I have worn mine about 5 years and very comfortable from the start. They are a SASS merchant. DC

Several years ago I was struggling with a pair of boots that were coming apart. Thought I could get one more match out of them. But alas. 

After taping and retaping for most of the day on the last stage I ditched the shoes and went barefoot. Now it's tradition.

Stage 10 at Ides.

Posse 8 059.JPG

On 4/11/2023 at 11:13 AM, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Boot Wearers,

My supply of period correct boots is rapidly dwindling. I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of stovepipe boots in the $250 - $300 range. I realize that this is on the low size, but what can I say? I'm frugal. 

Rev. Chase

I've very rarely worn out a set of boot uppers... and the soles & heels are easily replaceable... just chose your cobbler with care.  I had one ruin a pair of custom boots by removing my spur shelf... grrr...!

On 4/11/2023 at 12:13 PM, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Boot Wearers,

My supply of period correct boots is rapidly dwindling. I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of stovepipe boots in the $250 - $300 range. I realize that this is on the low size, but what can I say? I'm frugal. 

Rev. Chase

Boot uppers wore out?

My 24 year old boots have been resoled 3 times.  Uppers will outlast me.

Archived