SASS Wire Forum

Transportation Costs

Subdeacon Joe

My inflation calculator only goes back to 1913, but here are the results

$8 in 1913 equals $243.10 in 2023

$12 in 1913 equals $364.65 in 2023

Using current NYC taxi rates:  $2.50 initial charge and $2.50 each additional mile a taxi ride for the same distance would cost $152.50.

Boy were they charging a lot for a 60 mile ride.

23 minutes ago, Chantry said:

My inflation calculator only goes back to 1913, but here are the results

$8 in 1913 equals $243.10 in 2023

$12 in 1913 equals $364.65 in 2023

Using current NYC taxi rates:  $2.50 initial charge and $2.50 each additional mile a taxi ride for the same distance would cost $152.50.

Boy were they charging a lot for a 60 mile ride.

Try this one. 
https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1908?amount=100

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

11 mph? Woo-Weee that’s flyin’!

Got to remember there were no paved roads back then and no gas stations.  Actually quite a trip.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Got to remember there were no paved roads back then and no gas stations.  Actually quite a trip.

Yep. For some reason I had it in my head this was from the 1920’s when I wrote that. 

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Yup. The first coast to coast car trip took 63 days, $8,000 and 600 gallons of gas in 1903. I saw a documentary on it that I’m sure is on YouTube. It was grueling. 

https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/coast-to-coast-road-trip/

6 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

30 years before I was born, there were no intercity paved highways in Montana, cars just used the existing wagon trails as best they could. I can remember I-15 between Helena and Great Falls being built in the early 60's, mostly following the path of the old two lane paved road. It was quite an adventure before that, winding and twisting, up and down, narrow bridges, with a vertical drop to the creek on one side and a sheer wall of rock on the other.

When I was a kid news of the progress on the construction of Interstate 79 was a major topic of discussion in my hometown of Waynesburg PA. When I was little to get to Morgantown WV one had route 19 from Waynesburg to Morgantown or if something was wrong on 19 one could add a whopping 15 miles to that trip and take route 21 to rte 88 to get to Morgantown. 
We went to Morgantown a lot in the 60’s. My Dad had an Auction Barn in Morgantown and he did a lot of general contracting there. 
I can recall my very first trip down I-79 from Waynesburg to Morgantown being very boring and I didn’t get to see the giant pile of tires that one could see when entering Morgantown on Rte 19. That in itself was aggravating because I loved seeing how high the pile was and imagining how many tires it took to make a pile of tires hundreds of feet tall - the pile at its highest was probably 100 feet, but a kid can dream… I think there was a company that ground up discarded tires for some other use. Besides, on Rte 19 just down the road from my magic tire mountain was an A&W Drive In eatery. They brought the food to you and you ate in your car and the mugs of root beer were glass and they were frosted icy cold. :) Man, that was livin’!
Even then the interstate ended at what is now exit 155 as the bridges over the Monongahela River took construction up into the ‘70’s. 

My aunt told me that when they drove to Marquette ( about 60 mi) probably back in the 20's, the women would pack a lunch so when ,not if, they got a flat they would lay out a blanket for lunch. The men would go out in the woods to cut down a proper size tree for a lever and fulcrum ( cars didn't come with jacks yet) take off the wheel, take the tire off the wheel, patch the tube pump it up with a hand pump put it all back together eat lunch continue on trip.

Archived