SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1866

Ace Hanlon

Has anyone installed a main spring tension screw on a 1866 rifle? If yes, what problems were encountered. Thanks Ace

I have done it a couple of times.... Had no problems, there is plenty of meat on the lower tang where the screw needs to go

Just a simple drill & tap and installed a short allen screw....   EazyPeazy!

38 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

I have done it a couple of times.... Had no problems, there is plenty of meat on the lower tang where the screw needs to go

Just a simple drill & tap and installed a short allen screw....   EazyPeazy!

Sam, did you install the tension screw in the same place as in a 73? Ace

2 minutes ago, Ace Hanlon said:

Sam, did you install the tension screw in the same place as in a 73? Ace

Yes.

When I have had my 66s short stroked & an action job done, I have always asked the gunsmith to install a mainspring tension screw.
They are always in about the same location as on my 73s, and I have never experienced any problems.

--Dawg

7 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

What does that newly installed screw actually do? (Forgive my ignorance on this - I know almost nothing about the 1873 innards).

It allows you to increase pressure on the mainspring in the event of light strikes. 

17 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

Ah, ok. Does it affect trigger pull weight though as well?

There is a separate spring for the trigger.

1 hour ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

Ah, ok. Does it affect trigger pull weight though as well?

Basically, changing the hammer spring tension does always affect the trigger pull weight, but while you will notice a change in trigger pull when replacing the stock Uberti main spring by a light main spring, the fine adjusting of the tension screw affects the trigger pull rather theoretically. Btw, other factors for trigger pull weight are sear angle, friction (surfaces), and trigger spring.

1 hour ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Basically, changing the hammer spring tension does always affect the trigger pull weight, but while you will notice a change in trigger pull when replacing the stock Uberti main spring by a light main spring, the fine adjusting of the tension screw affects the trigger pull rather theoretically. Btw, other factors for trigger pull weight are sear angle, friction (surfaces), and trigger spring.

I am beginning to see why "tuning up" am 1873 replica rifle requires knowledge and experience.

44 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

I am beginning to see why "tuning up" am 1873 replica rifle requires knowledge and experience.

Most important thing is to know what to touch and what to leave to your gunsmith ;)

Easy things to do yourself if you buy a stock Uberti: replace springs (hammer, lifter, lever, trigger safety block, magazine), magazine follower, soft screws by hardened ones, and polish carrier, lifter arm, and lever a bit (good videos on youtube)

I usually did this job on the 1866 and the Henry with a #8 Set Screw.  Drill, Tap, Install.  Once the screw is threaded in place it isn't visible at all except for the hole in the bottom of the lower tang.

Older 1866's came with the screw, so I don't see how it could be dis-allowed. JMHO

Archived