SASS Wire Forum

FFg vs FFFg for 12 gauge?

Lone Rider SASS#32091

I've been using FFFg in my shot shells. 3.1 cc, pink wad 1oz. #8 or 7.5. Mostly Goex, but Shutzen and Graf's as well. 

I guess that didn't really answer your question did it? If you stay at your 2.8cc, I don't think it will be a major difference, but will be a tad hotter. Try a few and see what ya think!

I use 60gr, a tad under 4.3cc, with red wad and 1 oz shot, FFFg, FFg, whatever I had more of, and now Fg (more flame! :)). (That was the go-to load for lots of folks for a long time before people started wimping out :lol:)   When the buzzer goes off, I never really feel any difference.

I use a load found on the Dave Harper website. Just under 4.3 cc of whatever powder, pink wad and 7/8oz of shot in a AA hull.

Sounds like the load Abilene described.

La Sombra

10 minutes ago, La Sombra said:

I use a load found on the Dave Harper website. Just under 4.3 cc of whatever powder, pink wad and 7/8oz of shot in a AA hull.

Sounds like the load Abilene described.

La Sombra

Uhh, I think you must have improvised.  There are no pink wads and no 7/8 oz BP loads in that article. ;)

Abilene would accuse me of wimping out (too true),  :rolleyes: but I load APP.   With the same same load, 2f has a bit milder recoil and a bit MORE smoke.  3F a bit more recoil and bit less smoke. :)

I prefer 2F for the shotgun as I shoot All Brass hulls and scoop.  3F for suppositories as I load suppositories on a DILLON and the 3F meters nicely.  

I have 2 loads.

For monthly matches 

Primer of choice

Remington Gun Club hulls

Clay Buster CB0178-12 Wad

3 CC of APP, Black MZ, or Shooters World Black

7/8 oz of shot

For Big matches I use this load for the nice BOOM and the flames. :)

Primer of choice

AA Hull (Only use them 1 time)

WAA12R Wad

4 cc of real BP. FFg or FFFg. Note that you can also use renactor grade powder. It provides a lot more flame. 

1 oz of shot

Photo of this load ( FFg ) shot mid morning in full sun

TrailHead2023.thumb.jpg.27ccceed4b6b91326e764ba02413308d.jpg

Thanks APiercephototx for the awesome pic.

9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have 2 loads.

For monthly matches 

Primer of choice

Remington Gun Club hulls

Clay Buster CB0178-12 Wad

3 CC of APP, Black MZ, or Shooters World Black

7/8 oz of shot

For Big matches I use this load for the nice BOOM and the flames. :)

Primer of choice

AA Hull (Only use them 1 time)

WAA12R Wad

4 cc of real BP. FFg or FFFg. Note that you can also use renactor grade powder. It provides a lot more flame. 

1 oz of shot

Photo of this load ( FFg ) shot mid morning in full sun

TrailHead2023.thumb.jpg.27ccceed4b6b91326e764ba02413308d.jpg

Thanks APiercephototx for the awesome pic.

Awesome picture

Coffinmaker’s analysis is the same for real BP. Use the same volume as you do for 2f. my loads these days are 38gr equivalent of 3f, a pink wad and 1 ounce #8 shot. I’ve forgotten how many CCs that is as it now comes out of a Mec bushing. It’s plenty for any knockdowns I’ve encountered.

I like the flame only real BP can produce. I don’t remember if this was 2f or 3f.:)

image.jpeg.6b2f021179071a70a1604a447b34f3fa.jpeg

What's with all of the light loads?  :P  I use a Spanish 10 gauge and I use  1 1/2 oz of shot and 120 grs of powder.  I've used cannon powder, reenactor's, 1F and 2F.  I like 1F the best, lots of flame & smoke.  Cannon powder is boring, no recoil.

And to answer the OP's question, using 3F won't make much of a difference. 

14 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Uhh, I think you must have improvised.  There are no pink wads and no 7/8 oz BP loads in that article. ;)

He has been hitting the tequila again I see. LOL 

TM

4 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

He has been hitting the tequila again I see. LOL 

TM

TM,

Bourbon. I've told you bourbon. Garrison Brothers actually!

La Sombra

11 minutes ago, La Sombra said:

TM,

Bourbon. I've told you bourbon. Garrison Brothers actually!

La Sombra

Sad because all your Texican pards down there all want Tequila and you are disappointing them. LOL

TM

I interchange between 2f and 3f , no changes whatsoever. Cartridge and shotshell… no problems to report. Usually running goex or schutzen

3F burns faster than 2F producing less fire. 1F burns slowest of all, lots of fire. If you want to put on a show use 1F. If you are trying to be completive less flash form 3F might be an advantage (less flashbulb effect on your eyes).

2022 ESFC National Champion  

Archived