SASS Wire Forum

Found a fix for the MEC Primer Feed

Sedalia Dave

Anyone who has ever used the infamous MEC primer feed has a love / hate relationship with them. The thin brass part that is supposed to keep the primers pushed towards the feed side does a poor job at best. 

Well mine broke and the primers were dribbling out the back side of the tray.  Had a cheap water bottle cap that doubles as a plug for the MEC shot and powder bottles lying on the bench. 

A little trimming with a knife and it would fit inside the tray and plug the hole. Turns out is does a 1000% better job of pushing primers to the feed side of the tray.  Now every last primer will feed correctly.

The only trick is that you cannot dump more than 60 primers in the tray at a time.   

IMG_1393.jpeg

Mine is a different style than that. But I can certainly see where they would push primers thataway. 

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Mine is a different style than that. But I can certainly see where they would push primers thataway. 

Mine (on a MEC 9000GN) also looks quite a bit different.

The only problem I have had with it is once in a while when it gets dirty the primer comes down the little tube thing very slowly and if I am in a fast rhythm case the case leaving the resizer and moving to the charging/reprime station will not have a primer. There will then be a need to clean up things. :( (now happens very rarely once I figured it out and I started to clean it after every session). Mine is loaded with 200 primers and could hold more.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

35 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

The real fix is junk the pull chain primer tray and get the new style with the arm actuator.  A much better design.  Did that on the last mec I owned.  Was well worth the $$. 

I agree but the new style doesn't work on the single stage MECs

Picture is of my old 76 Series Grabber but I did the same mod to my 600 jr.

Archived