SASS Wire Forum

Reverse Shoulder Replacement

Kid Drover

Hey, Hey Fellow Shooters,

I am asking for some feedback.  I have been told by two Docs I have to have a reverse shoulder replacement.  If you have had one done, would you, please, let me know how it affected your shooting after rehabilitation?....would you do it again?......how long did it take to get back to whatever 100% will be?........other than the obvious facts of having a major joint replacement, is there any downside to having it done?....and finally, any other information you think would help me?

All information would be appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by,

Kid Drover

My mom had it done, and she was better within 2 hours of the surgery, more motion and less pain. Wish she had done it years ago, but doesn’t shoot competitively.

I had my right shoulder replaced 4 years ago. It changes the geometry of motion in your shoulder. As the move the joint in and away from the original socket. I can't tuck my shirt in, in the middle of my back. I have great range of motion. I shoot dualist and I still need to use my left hand to lift the pistol in place to shoot. Doc says this is normal.

You need to adjust where you mount your rifle and shotgun on your shoulder. Again since the joint is now closer to your head.

Had my right shoulder reverse total replacement last Oct 31, Doc said no shooting for 6 months. He did say I could shoot .22 rifle benchrest after 3. My first SASS shoot will be end of this month. PT wasn't bad, but still have pain with some sudden movements, but it's way better than before the surgery. I've been lifting light weights daily and I think that's helped, I was and still am doing lots of PT. I definitely would do it again.Like previously stated I can't tuck my shirt in the back of my pants, but then I couldn't before.He said no restrictions after 6 months and full recovery after a year. It involves removing rotator cuff, so there is a movement involving bringing my hand behind my head where when it gets to a certain spot wants to fall backwards.  I stretch it out daily and that keeps the pain at a minimum. 

shoulder.png

Both of mine have been done and I now live with no shoulder pain and no negative effect on my shooting. The negative on my shooting is age related not shoulder related.

J.M.

It is my understanding that the reverse joint replacement is primarily done when one has rotor cuff problems as well.  Because of rotor cuff issues, the reverse implant may not yield as good of a result as the normal implant and I'd would want to get a second opinion before going this route.  I'm not saying this won't work for you, but I would want to totally understand why it would be better than the normal implant before going that route.  Anyway, joint replacement surgery is different for each individual as to what is needed and what the final results may be.  All in all, you should be better off either way, especially if your shoulder is giving you the kind of pain that I had prior to replacement.  To try to more directly answer your questions, I too was told that I could not shoot anything with recoil again for at least 6 months after the surgery.  I can now shoot my 12 gauge shotgun with light loads without issues.  However, my 45/70 seems to be a different story as my regular loads hurt after just a few shots and even downloading to lighter loads didn't seem to help a whole lot.  Maybe this has something to do with the fit of the rifle, etc. I really don't know.  In any case, I do believe that I am a bit more sensitive to recoil than I was prior to the replacement, but it was worth it in the long run.  Good luck and good shooting to you and yours!

It has been my experience that the standard replacement doesn't have the success rate of the reverse and also is more invasive of a process with a lot longer recovery time.

I spent a lot of time researching this before my two replacements and have compared the outcome with many friends that have had the standard replacement.

J.M.

Thank you all!   This has made feel much more positive about having this done.  I am hoping it iwill be similar to the fellow talking to his doctor about having surgery done on his knees.  He asked the doctor "will I be able to play golf at a competitive level after the operation".  The doctor said "sure!"   The fellow said "That's great, cus, I never could before"!

Thanks again!

KD

i had a right reverse Feb last year & am supposed to get the left done after the next hand surgery. - Other than working to run belt through middle loop in back the shirt tucking thing no other issues.  Per surgeon you are limited in amount of weight you should lift (for rest of life).  I have had no issues shooting once I was told I could.  I did buy 1 each of LimbSaver Protective Shooting Pad & Caldwell Recoil Shields with Adjustable Fit and Padding for Shotgun and Rifle Recoil Reduction as a just in case.  It is a bit more recoil sensitive but not enough to need the pads, but I enjoy shooting more with them on & wish I would have got them long ago.  You'll be moving the lower arm by the next day.  I got rid of the tie down almost immediately after getting home & only worn it for sleeping for about 10 days (that doesn't mean you should).  Each person reacts differently & I tend to push myself very hard.  It takes about 3 months for the surgical pain to go away & a bit longer to work the stiffness out but it's worth it & yes I will get the other done.

Archived