SASS Wire Forum

SASS Colt limited revolver

I'm looking for information on a limited run of Colt revolver. The  pair is Nickle, .45lc, 5.5 barrel,  white grips, and the serial numbers SASSXXXX AND XXXXSASS. SAME Numbers just reversed. 

Any information would be greatly appreciated,  especially what the pair might be worth. 

Thanks 

What I have heard is that the serial number was the SASS members membership number.  This was a special for SASS members who wanted to get a personalized pair of Colts. My copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values (a few years old) does not mention anything about SASS serial numbers, but that doesn't mean a lot.  

If you want to invest a little money you could get a letter from Colt for each of the revolvers.

You may want to add the caliber to your description.

Good luck,

Barry Sloe

I have a nickeled pair, 4 3/4 .45's I purchased back when they were available and have used them a lot. They have my SASS number as part of the serial numbers. One of them I used in Cowboy Fast Draw competition for several years. 

Diego

As indicated above the SASS Colts were available with the owner's SASS number as serial numbers.  They had a long lead time, as I recall since Colt was including them in regular production.  They were expensive compared to other revolvers so I don't think they sold that many.  They were replaced by Rugers.  Without knowing condition and owner's alias ( which you might b able to obtain from the SASS office ) they are probably worth in the $ 2,000-2,500 range.  If the SASS no. comes back to a well recognized shooter they might be worth more, but probably only to another SASS member.  As far as the grips are concerned they may be replacements since the SASS Colts came with the standard black grips.

They were advertised in the Chronicle.  The Chronicle inventory on the SASS website only goes back to 2005.  Here is a screen shot of the ad.  I had to make it in two pieces as you cannot scroll while making a screen shot.  The old Chronicles were newspaper style dot matrix so this is how it appears on the SASS website.  The original newspaper was readable.  Having the alias engraved probably detracts from value.  Just having the SSAS serial number does nothing as far as value.

Screenshot2023-04-10at8_06_43AM.thumb.png.257c2c61a09fc87a34b514a22a3d6658.png

Screenshot2023-04-10at8_08_41AM.thumb.png.9bdeed5b093d015b8bdd2c746df9aaf1.png

Have one I bought back then. Blue, 4 3/4 in 38-40.  The serial is the SASS Number.  If you bought a pair, the numbers were SASS 12345  and 12345 SASS.  The numbers just a placeholder here.  I was regretting that I couldn't see my way clear to buy a pair, but that turned out well as I later got a USFA to match, and they too, have greatly appreciated in value.

Archived