SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder load for the 38-55 using GOEX fffg

Frontier Lone Rider

Rule of thumb on BP cartridge loading:   hold the bullet so the top of the case is where the crimp groove or where you've selected you seating depth to be, mark a line... fill case with BP of choice to 1/8" over that line... seat bullet...  Caveat included:  reduce charge height by the thickness of whatever wad, grease cookie or overpowder cards you choose.  This is exactly the method I used to shoot a brand new to me cartridge rifle I bought a month or so ago... ended up with a load that shot to POA and settled in @ 1.25 MOA.  If you want it more complicated...  weight that charge column and viola, you have your powder charge.  Or, tax yourself, instead of me and others... read some books.  There are several out to teach about BP loading.  I'd recommend "Down Range Data: A Guide to Extreme Long Range Shooting with your Buffalo Rifle (Standard Color Edition)" by William T Falin, Jr.  (you'll even see my picture in there)..., then there's always Mike Venturino's "SPG Lubricants BP Cartridge Reloading Primer", loads of data on rifle cartridges (some of which you might never have heard of)... then, there's always Lyman's Black Powder Handbook, (which deals mostly with cap & ball arms, but if you understand that loading, the principles apply to cartridges also).  

BTW, I've not mastered any of this stuff, and I've been shooting BP in muzzleloaders & cartridge guns for nigh on 50 years.  I haven't blown myself or a gun up... yet... there's always tomorrow!

Archived