SASS Wire Forum

38/357 loading data

Nawlins Kid  SASS #36107

Has anyone seen written ( book or website) loading data for a 38/357  "rife" ? It seems there is only data for pistols and the longest barrel I seen is 7 1/2 in. What I'm looking for is a listing of powder type with a starting load speed and maximum load and speed.

Thanks

Nawlins

First what is a rife?  If you are looking for rifle data go to Hodgdon or other sites and they show rifle data.  Hodgden uses a 18.5" barrel for their rifle data.  Many sites only have "pistol" data because the .357 is a pistol cartridge.  Just click the rifle box and scroll down to .357.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com

Thanks Larson. I miss spoke in that I would like to see  data for a 38 lead bullet in a 38 sp cal rife only

I have never seen .38 rifle data as other than CAS type rifles there are no .38 rifles.  I just use the .38 handgun data and if I am curious about my rifle velocities I take the loads out and chrono them.  We are firing low intensity rounds so the variation won't be as much as a high velocity round and the variation also depends on the type of powder.  Yesterday I chrono'd some loads (using Titegroup) and the rifle was about 150 fps faster than the pistol or about 15 fps per inch added extra rifle barrel length.

15 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have never seen .38 rifle data as other than CAS type rifles there are no .38 rifles.  I just use the .38 handgun data and if I am curious about my rifle velocities I take the loads out and chrono them.  We are firing low intensity rounds so the variation won't be as much as a high velocity round and the variation also depends on the type of powder.  Yesterday I chrono'd some loads (using Titegroup) and the rifle was about 150 fps faster than the pistol or about 15 fps per inch added extra rifle barrel length.

Thank You Larson. You helped me greatly with your info.

Nawlins

I happen to have done some ladder testing a few days ago using TiteGroup powder and 130g RNFP bullets in 357 Magnum, using a Labradar to capture the muzzle velocities at the different load levels, for each of both the rifle and the revolver.

The rifle is a Uberti Competition with 20" barrel with no mods.

The revolver is a Cimarron Model P with a 4.75" barrel with no mods, and .005" cylinder gap.

Grains   Firearm   FPS

3.6          Revolver  705

Rifle           993

3.8          Revolver   750

Rifle         1041

4.0         Revolver   775

Rifle         1070

4.2         Revolver   821

Rifle          1112

4.4         Revolver   857

Rifle          1156

Note that the rifle's muzzle velocity appears to be pretty close to exactly 300 fps higher than the revolver's, at every powder load level, likely being this large due to the short 4.75" barrel on the handgun.

I think every individual firearm, unlike a standardized test firing barrel, might be a bit different in its velocity results, especially on a revolver where cylinder gap varies and is significant, and where barrel length differences are also relatively significant.

Archived