SASS Wire Forum

Smith 317 Lightweight .22?

Dantankerous

I just discovered this little revolver today and it certainly piqued my interest. Anyone have any time behind one of these? I’d like to hear your comments on it. Thanks!

The 317 and 43c are pretty cool revolvers. I have the old school 63 no dash 2" snub but these are airweight versions with more shots. Fun little revolvers but tend to be less forgiving trigger wise then center-fire for weight needed to ingite carts. 

Don't carry it in your pocket. The finish is paint. And the sweat that goes through the pocket - at least my sweat that goes through the pocket - take that paint right off.

The day I bought it

31722LRAirlite.jpg.ee5e29280f836336b655446bade8bc0b.jpg

Currently

317AirLite22LRright.thumb.jpg.b38980338ff478b897d587bafab0028f.jpg

317AirLite22LRleft.thumb.jpg.8f092f154df5c6bbcddb637086a191d1.jpg

Also, on mine the crane is made of aluminum. Now maybe new ones make the crane out of stainless - I don't know. But where the crane rubs against the steel parts inside the frame...

317cranewear1.thumb.jpg.cb4b4e1909df6ecf978051e2f1f5d4f9.jpg

317cranewear2.thumb.jpg.14a08adc8d712581bfd673d080b861c2.jpg

Sort of putting a groove in that.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love the hell out of that gun. And every time I step out the back door that gun goes in my pocket.

I've been thinking about touching it up with some krylon. B)

I have a model 63. Same dimensions as the 317. I bought the 63 because of Alpo’s photos in the past and reports of 317s locking up when they get hot. The cure for that is having S&W install a 63 stainless cylinder and crane. But I think that issue is the exception rather than the rule. 

IMG_9633.thumb.jpeg.ad1595ae4739de3521e4399c156bf94f.jpeg

Currently S&W only makes the 317 with a 3" barrel with adjustable sights.  It is an aluminum frame and aluminum 8 round cylinder.  It weighs 11.9oz empty.  Lightest weight J-Frame revolver S&W makes.  I have owned one for several years but only carry it in a lined leather holster.  Never had any wear marks on frame or cylinder.  Likes every 22LR ammo whether standard velocity or high velocity that I have  shot thru it except CCI Stingers.  Fired 2 rounds and it would lock up.  Open cylinder and emptied fired rounds and put in 2 more, close and fire 2 more and it would lock up.   By locking up I mean I could not cock hammer or even try to double action the gun.

Great lightweight 22LR for backpacking or camping.

If you want one of the older 1&7/8 " fixed sight like in the picture you will have to search around for a used one.

@Alpo I love your gun! The little beast deserves some cerakote or NP3!

Lone Spur Jake is spot on about the current production model. Very lightweight. 8 shot, hi viz front sight, under 12 oz, etc. Feels very good in the hand. I imagine .22 recoil is almost nothing in this.

Street price is a tad over $700 which ain't cheap... hence my query.

The 617 caught my eye as it's a solid K frame size, 10 shot .22 but this little gun is something else entirely  IF the quality and reliability is there.

Pic lifted from somewhere else.

20230407_212024.jpg

@Dantankerous when I bought my model 63 in 2020 I paid $763.00. A model 317 was available for the same price. I decided to go with the stainless model. 
The couple of guys that I have talked to at ranges that own a 317 really likes them. One gent did say that his got sticky when it got dirty, but a quick cleaning remedied the problem. His barrel to cylinder gap was very tight. Buildup on the cylinder face would cause lockup. 

Shot mine today, it rather liked norma ecospeed . We were on 10" plates at 20 yards. The all stainless is about 22oz. 

Needing to be clean clean is common especially if recessed cyl.  On 617 honing cyl is common for steel challenge rimfire

Archived