SASS Wire Forum

Lots of Eagles

Subdeacon Joe

https://prestonhollow.advocatemag.com/2023/04/05/cistercian-eagle-scout-rank/

Screenshot_20230406-113034-522.thumb.png.82e84202431193214525443935a55270.png

"11 out of 47 seniors at Cistercian have achieved this honor. Senior Vincent Micheli has earned all 139 merit badges. Micheli became an Eagle at the age of 13.

“Every merit badge topic involved learning from someone who cared and had passion for the subject. Because of this, earning all 139 merit badges really has been an enjoyable and inimitable experience,” said Micheli."

Screenshot_20230406-112900-834.thumb.png.01ca99f9b9bd82e84874f24f8544c6e3.png

Too Cool!  ^_^

Not surprisingly, this brings to mind a BUNCH of Eagle stories.  But two stand out....

First, the young man whose Eagle Board of Review I chaired five years or so ago.  When I say 'young man,' I meant that literally - he was fourteen!  As I read his written statement, I thought to myself that this was NOT written by a fourteen-year-old.  Indeed, it read like something written by a grad student.  When the youngster sat for his interview, I was fairly astonished to find that he spoke at the same level at which he had written - despite the crackling of his changing voice.  When finished, I turned to the person seated next to me and announced "We have just met Doogie Scouter!"

The youngster is now nineteen and will graduate from Fresno State University at the end of this semester; he expects to have his MBA at 21.  For the past year he has served well and successfully as Executive Director of the Chowchilla Chamber of Commerce.

His younger sister didn't earn her Eagle until she was fifteen - but then, there was that pandemic stuff that kinda bogged things down a mite.  She's now sixteen, has earned around sixty merit badges (so far), but she's been busy - 4H and FFA, volunteering at the local library, Cheer Squad, maintaining a 4.+ GPA, and more.  Oh... by the way, even though she's a high school sophomore, but she already has an AA.  :rolleyes:

Needless to say, not all Eagles are this successful, but all are exceptional youngsters.  Once again, if any of y'all ever get a chance to participate on an Eagle Board, I encourage you to do it - and you do NOT have to be affiliated with Scouting.  You'll leave with a smile and a good feeling about the youth of America.  ;)

WOW all 139, I only earned 17 and never made Eagle.  Was life when I turned 18, so many moons ago.  But I am still registered and later this month will hit 60 years of continuous registration since I joined at age 8.  My alias comes from being a Scout and living in Fort Worth (Cowtown).

I, like Cowtown Scout never made to Eagle but continued an active roll in Scouting for 55 years. I let my registration lapse several years ago as my wife and I shoot every weekend and I was not active at all with the troop. Both of my sons are Eagle Scouts and I got to spend a lot of time with them as Scouts. I still have my first registration card from 1963.

Archived