SASS Wire Forum

A serious PC question

Blackwater 53393

I have a number of friends who spring from a unique lineage that contains or consists of several cultures that have merged into a wonderful and storied, mostly southern culture!

More than forty years ago, I encountered the first Cajun that I ever was able to spend real time with!  He introduced me to gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee, and the delicacy that is crawfish!!!

After a few years and several adventures that shall remain unrevealed, he made me an “Honorary COONASS”!!

I had known other Cajuns, including Jimmy C Newman and his fiddle player, Rufus Thibedeaux. Jimmy had a farm outside of Murfreesboro, TN and he and Rufus often came into the tractor dealership where I worked to buy parts and get their equipment serviced! They spoke with pride of being “Coonass”!

SO! Some of y’all help me out here!!  Is it still politically correct to refer to your Cajun friends as “Coonass”?

Krazy Kajun!!  Where you at??

Well I am honored to be called that…there are few woke young Kajuns that aren’t so honorable. In your case I think you “bon mes ami” made a good call!

Kajun

In that case, I’m all the more honored!

I will take the honor and add it to my own Hillbilly status. A term that I take pride in, along with the occasional accusation of Redneck when it’s appropriate.  I’m proud of my heritage and proud to be considered a Coonass among my Cajun friends!!

What about the rest of ya’s??

Sounds like an alias;

“Howdy! Ah’m Coonass Redneck. Son of Hillbilly Coonass Redneck. You can call me Blackwater.” :D

I was raised country. I found out when I joined the Navy that I was also a Redneck and a Hillbilly. Somebody called me a Cracker. I called him a name he didn’t like. I then said “Now you know how I feel.” I wasn’t sure what a “Cracker” was but I didn’t think it wasn’t good and I didn’t like it. 
Of course those boys calling me Redneck and Hillbilly thought they were insulting me. Idiots. 

37 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

PC is totally dependent on the crowd one is with. Some (older) folks may find it endearing in the manner in which it was bestowed upon you. Others (younger) may find it vulgar. Know your audience. 

Why should I even care about my audience if I'm not offended and my friends aren't offended, and we're not aiming any insult or offense at them and we aren't breaking any laws.  When I'm on their turf I'll mind myself, but if they are on mine they'll just have to tolerate me.

My friends have better things to do than be worried about offending anyone. :D

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sounds like an alias;

“Howdy! Ah’m Coonass Redneck. Son of Hillbilly Coonass Redneck. You can call me Blackwater.” :D

I was raised country. I found out when I joined the Navy that I was also a Redneck and a Hillbilly. Somebody called me a Cracker. I called him a name he didn’t like. I then said “Now you know how I feel.” I wasn’t sure what a “Cracker” was but I didn’t think it wasn’t good and I didn’t like it. 
Of course those boys calling me Redneck and Hillbilly thought they were insulting me. Idiots. 

When you're a Floridian, being called a Cracker is a good thing and doesn't bother me at all. 

10 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

When you're a Floridian, being called a Cracker is a good thing and doesn't bother me at all. 

Interesting. I did not know what “Cracker” meant. Still don’t, actually. I do know in LA if a black person calls you Cracker it isn’t a good thing or a compliment. Even back when I first got out of the Navy and moved to LA. 

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Interesting. I did not know what “Cracker” meant. Still don’t, actually. I do know in LA if a black person calls you Cracker it isn’t a good thing or a compliment. Even back when I first got out of the Navy and moved to LA. 

Florida Cracker origins, although some meanings have been left out or omitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_cracker

Archived