SASS Wire Forum

Why so many locked threads?

Totes Magoats

19 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Often overlooked, BUT its possible that the moderators don't like some of us.

I know they don't like Krazy Cajun or TN Williams........... :lol:

..........Widder

Don't forget about Wyatt:wacko:. WWWD

6 hours ago, Wyatt said:

Yea, but USFA Rodeos are better than Colts! (I own both)

BTW - PWB do you ever get off the list?

See:ph34r:

17 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

So, this is a little off-topic (BWAAHAAA!) - I have the version of that poster with the white grips.  The text says "The Original Peacemaker Since 1871"  Huh?  Some ad maker saw the 1871 patent date on the gun and decided that's when it came out :huh:

I guess Colt didn't notice or care as long as they got their licensing fee.

20230301_134933 crop.jpg

Patent date is when it was patented. Not hard to figure that out! They went out for sale in 1873. So what????

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Patent date is when it was patented. Not hard to figure that out! They went out for sale in 1873. So what????

Because that patent was for other things that pre-dated the SAA such as the ejector tube on the Opentop.  It was used on the SAA as well, thus the patent date marked on the frame.

4 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Because that patent was for other things that pre-dated the SAA such as the ejector tube on the Opentop.  It was used on the SAA as well, thus the patent date marked on the frame.

There wasn't anything about the SA Army that deserves it's own patent.  Colt had already produced a revolver with a top strap (Root model pocket pistol), and as noted the ejector rod & housing on the 1871 Open Top.  And the basic lockwork had been in use since the Walker.  It would have been just as true if the advertisement had used 1836!  Maybe moreso! 

2 hours ago, Griff said:

There wasn't anything about the SA Army that deserves it's own patent.  Colt had already produced a revolver with a top strap (Root model pocket pistol), and as noted the ejector rod & housing on the 1871 Open Top.  And the basic lockwork had been in use since the Walker.  It would have been just as true if the advertisement had used 1836!  Maybe moreso! 

Yeah, but it says "Peacemaker".  Now if it had said "Equalizer" then sure. :)

edit: I would just add, it would be like advertising that the 1911 had been around since 1897, which is the earliest patent date on the slide. ;)

And ya wonder why threads get locked up:lol::lol:

this’n kinda went a smite off topic:huh:

but hey:o things happen;)

Oh yeah.. Ruger is the best..but the tang on the ‘73 bolt

is sure to break off :rolleyes: right along with the

loading gate tab on-a ‘66:angry:

just sayin’.. :mellow:

14 hours ago, Griff said:

Well Almost.

In 1871 the double tooth hand was patented as was the little notch in the ejector tube slot that allows the head of the ejector rod to rest against the barrel when not in use. Both of these patents are what the 1871 date is referring to. 

However there are patents that first appeared on the SAA. They include the way the elector tube was attached to the pistol, how the loading gate functioned, and the shape of the loading gate and frame. These patents were awarded in 1875

Colt Revolver’s patents

I have occasionally seen threads. and in fact have started one or two, that essentially begin with, "The Shooter's Handbook says this about that.  I don't understand what that means.   Can I ask for clarification?"

Sometimes those threads get a quick and simple answer and lock up quickly.   Sometimes they have led to lengthy and interesting discussions before they peter out n their own.   What causes a thread to lock, or die, very much depends on the context of the discussion, it seems.

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

image.jpeg

Pale Wolf, I think you might need to use the track plan for the Gorre & Daphetid for some of these threads!

Just now, Wyatt said:

I’m sorry…….

SQUIRREL !!!

Where?

oh where wolf?

it does seem like a lot of threads get locked very early in their life , im not saying the moniters are doing a bad job but it would be useful to fully understand why ? 

47 minutes ago, watab kid said:

it does seem like a lot of threads get locked very early in their life , im not saying the moniters are doing a bad job but it would be useful to fully understand why ? 

On 4/2/2023 at 5:50 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The majority of the locked threads are related to rule/equipment questions that have been "asked & answered".

No further comments necessary.

On 4/2/2023 at 5:53 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

AND..... to add to PWB's post (the blue ink bandit),  a good many threads are locked at the request of the originator of the thread topic.

I've requested on numerous occasions that threads of mine be locked before the conversations drifted into never-never land.

..........Widder

Archived