SASS Wire Forum

Why so many locked threads?

Totes Magoats

Why are threads being locked so quickly lately?  I had to go to the 10th page of posts before there was a page without a thread being locked.  I don’t recall it being this frequent since I’ve been here. 

I can see if it were derogatory comments or something, but what’s the harm is spirited debate or additional views on things these days?

Totes

Reckon when a question has been asked.. and answered in a professional manner.. it’s done.. it gets locked..

I have seen threads that have been answered correctly on this old wire that goes completely off topic as I am sure others have seen.. or.. there’s already a thread answering the same question asked..

Hence.. lock it up..

18 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

Why are threads being locked so quickly lately?  I had to go to the 10th page of posts before there was a page without a thread being locked.  I don’t recall it being this frequent since I’ve been here. 

I can see if it were derogatory comments or something, but what’s the harm is spirited debate or additional views on things these days?

The majority of the locked threads are related to rule/equipment questions that have been "asked & answered".

No further comments necessary.

AND..... to add to PWB's post (the blue ink bandit),  a good many threads are locked at the request of the originator of the thread topic.

I've requested on numerous occasions that threads of mine be locked before the conversations drifted into never-never land.

..........Widder

2 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The majority of the locked threads are related to rule/equipment questons that have been "asked & answered".

No further comments necessary.

What if we want to question the current answers?  How can we get a fresh look a the current rules if threads are locked once a ref. to the SHB has been made 1 or two replies into the thread?

There have been a number of new rules proposed by shooters questioning rules or looking at them from a different angle.   I get and respect the BLUE ink, but I am also inclined to read other opinions and ponder the possibilities.

Totes

17 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

What if we want to question the current answers?  How can we get a fresh look a the current rules if threads are locked once a ref. to the SHB has been made 1 or two replies into the thread?

There have been a number of new rules proposed by shooters questioning rules or looking at them from a different angle.   I get and respect the BLUE ink, but I am also inclined to read other opinions and ponder the possibilities.

Totes

No pondering allowed on the Blue Ink.

There has been more than one occasion where I as a new shooter would like to have clarification of threads and was unable, even within a few hours of the original posting. Thereby, slowing down my and other new shooters learning curve. When new to the wire, I didn't want to open a new thread about a closed thread even when I did not understand something!

If closed by OP, that is fine but a comment to that effect would be appropriate in many cases.

51 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

AND..... to add to PWB's post (the blue ink bandit),  a good many threads are locked at the request of the originator of the thread topic.

I've requested on numerous occasions that threads of mine be locked before the conversations drifted into never-never land.

..........Widder

Yeah but in fairness to the rest of us you drift the conversation! (well maybe I drift one or two) :D

Kajun

1 hour ago, Totes Magoats said:

Totes

Rabble-Rouser!! 

15 minutes ago, watab kid said:

what does that hurt - might be something useful come from it , but i guess it reduces the time i spend here and opens it up for other venues 

It also reduces the time I spend here repeating and/or explaining rule references that can be found in the SHB or RO Courses using the "search" function. :P

7 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Often overlooked, BUT its possible that the moderators don't like some of us.

I know they don't like Krazy Cajun or TN Williams........... :lol:

..........Widder

That's just common sense :lol:

14 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Funny you should mention that...I have a notebook that I carry in my vest pocket :ph34r:

THE LIST (wire).jpg

12 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

You got that right!

I know some of the powers that be don’t like me!

But at least Palewolf will answer questions!

11 minutes ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Could be :huh: the blue ink guy might think the shooter asking the question.. could learn more about the subject of the question by reading the shooter’s handbook..:rolleyes:

just sayin’ :wacko:

I well remember when PWB would post RT-*M and that was without the -. :lol:

11 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Totes

You will assimilate, now go to your room!!:lol:

12 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Totes

I would think if you want to discuss a rule then start a new thread with that subject. If someone starts a thread asking for a specific ruling then that is where the asked and answered applies.

10 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

It also reduces the time I spend here repeating and/or explaining rule references that can be found in the SHB or RO Courses using the "search" function

^^^ This I fully understand!  its got to be both time-consuming and frustrating at times.

On my side on the computer monitor, when I hop on the wire and I read a new post topic and see 1 or 2 replies and a lock, it just seems like we are being told to accept it and move on with no room for debate.

There have been examples where a well-rounded discussion/debate on rules or proposed rules would have prevented a ton of confusion.  i.e. coming to the line with a cocked hammer.  There are still people out there that think you can correct this issue after staging.  

Another recent example is the 'tape' around the saddle ring.  To me, "tape" is a piece of vinyl or similar material with an adhesive backing, similar to a sticker/decal.  Why can we cover an entire firearm in a sticker, but not just a part of a firearm (saddle ring) with the same/similar material?

Lastly, there is no doubt, posts that need to be locked, deleted, and censored quickly.  I am just pointing out that the locking seems to have increased in both speed and quantity recently.

Totes

22 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

Yea, but USFA Rodeos are better than Colts! (I own both)

image.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

BTW - PWB do you ever get off the list?

My initials are on the cover...does that tell you anything??  :ph34r:

BTW...

WYATT'S STAR.jpg  :P

34 minutes ago, La Sombra said:

In a striking fit of pique, @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L ought to lock this thread. @Totes Magoats would understand!:D

La Sombra

And why not?  Question was asked and answered. :)

46 minutes ago, La Sombra said:

In a striking fit of pique, @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L ought to lock this thread. @Totes Magoats would understand!:D

La Sombra

pillow fight.jpg

5 hours ago, Wyatt said:

Yea, but USFA Rodeos are better than Colts! (I own both)

BTW - PWB do you ever get off the list?

No way Jose! Colts rule the roost!!;)

2 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

image.jpeg

So, this is a little off-topic (BWAAHAAA!) - I have the version of that poster with the white grips.  The text says "The Original Peacemaker Since 1871"  Huh?  Some ad maker saw the 1871 patent date on the gun and decided that's when it came out :huh:

I guess Colt didn't notice or care as long as they got their licensing fee.

20230301_134933 crop.jpg

Archived