SASS Wire Forum

For all the other old farts

Alpo

Have you gotten into the habit yet of telling people your birthday was in 19 whatever?

You know somebody asks my birthday and I tell them 11/20/55. But of course now that we're in the 2000s we're supposed to either say 1955 or 2002 or whatever.

Do you still just tell people the last 2 years, because that's the way you did it for 40 or 50 years or more?

True, but if you notice I said tell. You go to the doctor and they wish to verify that you are you so they ask you your birthday. Same at the pharmacy. And I tell them. Six numbers. I don't write it down. I tell them.

Yes every place where I have to write it they require eight digits.

28 minutes ago, Alpo said:

True, but if you notice I said tell. You go to the doctor and they wish to verify that you are you so they ask you your birthday. Same at the pharmacy. And I tell them. Six numbers. I don't write it down. I tell them.

Yes every place where I have to write it they require eight digits.

i tell them 3 numbers...month/day/two-digit year.

Never been questioned for "clarity".

24 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

i tell them 3 numbers...month/day/two-digit year.

Never been questioned for "clarity".

Same here 8/8/46 - I suppose I'll have to change my ways if I make it to 100...

CS

Usually it's MM/DD/YY.

Sometimes it's MM/DD/YYYY.

If there's nobody behind me in line, and I'm feeling my oats I'll proudly proclaim, My natal date was the DDth day of the MMth month in the year of our Lord One Thousand Nine Hundred and Fifty-seven.

Would probably cause mass confusion if I told them that it was the 20th day of November Anno Domini 1955.

By the way - I totally and completely despise "common era" and "before common era".

I tell them "The last Century and if pressed, Christmas Day, 1943

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Would probably cause mass confusion if I told them that it was the 20th day of November Anno Domini 1955.

By the way - I totally and completely despise "common era" and "before common era".

I intentionally irritate people with that, especially those who"correct" my use of BC and A.D.

"OK, I can do that.  BCE= Before Christian Era and CE = Christian Era."

MAN!!!! Do they ever sputter and spout at that!

only recently - not forever till i had a nurse at the hospital that could be my grand daughter give me a confused look , so i have begun to add the 19 to my birth date , pretty dumb in some ways as we all know the decades we are in and how they fall in the big picture but then our uneducated youth we are spending unprecedented dollars on to educate , cant seem to grasp that any better than making change these days , 

i thought my parents were nuts when they lamented the youth when i was graduating from high school --- now i think ive become my parents 

When asked my birthday I always respond “One, twenty-five, sixty-one” but I do believe I am going to start adding “AD” just to be ornery, like @Alpoand @Subdeacon Joe :D

“Christian Era”. I like that Joe. I will keep that in my pocket if someone asks what AD means. 

It just dawned on me that Raquel Welch wasn’t in One Million Years BCE, she was hot in One Million years B.C. I am sticking with that method of time identification. :D

IMG_4227.thumb.webp.f47bfbe2f206cf023c5a4b9b80319020.webp

Hubba Hubba!

I alway state the complete year.  I had to think in terms of 1800s, 1900s and 2000s because I used to do a lot of historical work with land titles where the chain of title went into the 1900s and sometimes into the 1800s.  Besides, it's kind of cool to amaze people when I tell them I was born in the mid-1900s and still have mostly black hair and no wrinkles.

I give a 2 digit year.  If the person is too incompetent to determine I’m not from the future nor nearer 200 years old, shame on the employer for assigning them the task.  That being said, 3 places asked me 18 in a clarifying voice last month so I must look over 123 years old.

If you want to confuse anyone under 40, tell them a 2 digit year then tell them “of the 20th century”

I told a young lady working at Hobby Lobby that I was born in the last century and she said she didn't believe it because I didn't look a hundred.  An older woman working there just shook her head and said to me "Don't worry, sir.  I'll explain it to her."

1 hour ago, Tom Bullweed said:

MCMLXIV

I am definitely using this. Mine, not yours. :D

MCMLXI…maybe I should use yours. It’ll knock 3 years off my age. :lol:

On 4/3/2023 at 7:39 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When asked my birthday I always respond “One, twenty-five, sixty-one” but I do believe I am going to start adding “AD” just to be ornery, like @Alpoand @Subdeacon Joe :D

“Christian Era”. I like that Joe. I will keep that in my pocket if someone asks what AD means. 

It just dawned on me that Raquel Welch wasn’t in One Million Years BCE, she was hot in One Million years B.C. I am sticking with that method of time identification. :D

IMG_4227.thumb.webp.f47bfbe2f206cf023c5a4b9b80319020.webp

Hubba Hubba!

Raquel Welch was hot in any era.

it appears we all have had our thoughts changed in recent years for one reason or another , it says a lot about the age we find ourselves living in , they might one day try to change the dating system - they are changing history and erasing facts , one day we might find we never existed , 

i dont see us needing to use the 19 till we get into the 30s tho , at this point , when folks are living longer , we could well see the need to distinguish on the phone or other not in person situations , but right now anyone that sees me in person can add the 19 without much effort - the only place ive een carded to buy beer in recent years is at the renaissance festival - they are required to see an ID there , mostly the servers could be my child 

On 4/3/2023 at 6:48 AM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

For all the other old farts

................ who are you callin' olde ????  :angry:

....... I'm waiting ..........  :(:angry:

4 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

who are you callin' olde

I don't believe I called anyone OLDE.

I know how to spell. :P

Archived