SASS Wire Forum

Army Motorcycle

Subdeacon Joe

Vespa 150 TAP. French, late 50s for use in Indo China. 75mm recoilless rifle. It was meant to be removed from the bike and mounted to a 1919 machine gun tripod, but in a pinch it could be fired like a submarine firing a torpedo - point the bike where you wanted it to go.

Vespa_militare2.JPG.32c54cade58656fc33f12a6cb1e375f2.JPG

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:
US Army motorcycle with Thompson submachine gun, circa 1920′s
May be an image of 1 person, motorcycle and outdoors

Could this be defined as a Pursuit Bike?

In California in LA and Orange Counties many motor patrol officers carry a rifle mount or a scabbard mount for AR-15s. I asked a couple of different officers in each county what they would think if they saw someone with an enclosed rifle case mounted like a saddle bag mounted on their motorcycle. The Orange County officers said as long as is lockable it might attract attention but it wouldn’t be illegal. The LA county officers pretty much said the same thing except they added that I might get pulled over and checked out often. 
I opted not to go that route but I would bet if I did, the bedwetters at work would do more than wet the bed seeing my bike parked in the lot. :lol:

I was thinking something along these lines. 
IMG_4226.thumb.jpeg.a5dd9dc0bb6b07ea6de8f7209ee19f25.jpeg

I may try a rig something up this summer. 

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

In California in LA and Orange Counties many motor patrol officers carry a rifle mount or a scabbard mount for AR-15

Same here in Sonoma county.  I saw two parked outside of a Starbucks one time and spent a minute looking at the rifle mounts? racks? on them.  Not getting very closely... didn't want the officers to wonder what I was doing.  A couple of people came out and saw me looking at the motorcycles.  The shocked looks on their faces when they saw the eeevvvviilllll OHMYGAWD ASSAULT WEAPONS!!!! was priceless.

37 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Same here in Sonoma county.  I saw two parked outside of a Starbucks one time and spent a minute looking at the rifle mounts? racks? on them.  Not getting very closely... didn't want the officers to wonder what I was doing.  A couple of people came out and saw me looking at the motorcycles.  The shocked looks on their faces when they saw the eeevvvviilllll OHMYGAWD ASSAULT WEAPONS!!!! was priceless.

I saw police bikes in Oregon as well with ARs mounted on them. Also Orange County Sheriff’s motor patrol had Remington 870’s aboard. 

5 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Where is the motor? Not a motorcycle!

Friend does WWII reenacting, he built a vintage Army bike, looks pretty good. Is that army issue?

Yeah North Vietnamese army. :D

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah North Vietnamese army. :D

NVA bike, NVA helmet. NVA rifle? Hard to tell from the picture, but it would go with the other two.

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

so - did they walk their bikes to give the tires a rest ? 

pretty cool old photo , that was a long trip 

I'm pretty sure they were all standing still posing for the picture. While motion photography was possible in 1897 I doubt that it was very common. 

Archived