SASS Wire Forum

Why can’t Toyota make a Prius Pickup Truck?

Pat Riot

14 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

It was reported in the broadcast media.  It is explained that the battery module is an important structural component.  If the model S was designed to replace the battery module easily it wouldn't be uni-body design.  It would use body on frame which would weight a lot more which significantly reduces range.  Range is an important sales feature.  The quality control & derating the capacity insure that an extremely infinitesimal risk of under warranty battery pack failures; so, Tesla has a low probability of having to replace it under warranty.  So, it's consumers & insurance co's that have to pay for the 315 hr's to replace it.  The cost of the battery pack wo/a core plus the 42k$ labor makes it a no brainier to by a used or new EV when the battery pack is damaged in a collision.

I’m not a fan of plug-in EVs, but that claim seems really off base, not that I’m any expert. I read an article within the past 6-9 months of a Tesla owner upset with the $25,000 cost of replacing his battery. Here’s something I found on the net that seems more in line with his story:

Tesla’s Model S is the distinguished grandfather of electric cars. Because there are so many model years and battery sizes, it’s really difficult to pin down one cost for a battery replacement. Here’s what we found after scouring the internet and forums. 

Battery Cost: $12,000 - $15,000

Labor Cost: Varies

Total Cost: $20,000 - 22,000

Source: https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/tesla-battery-replacement-costs

10 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’m not a fan of plug-in EVs, but that claim seems really off base, not that I’m any expert. I read an article within the past 6-9 months of a Tesla owner upset with the $25,000 cost of replacing his battery. Here’s something I found on the net that seems more in line with his story:

Tesla’s Model S is the distinguished grandfather of electric cars. Because there are so many model years and battery sizes, it’s really difficult to pin down one cost for a battery replacement. Here’s what we found after scouring the internet and forums. 

Battery Cost: $12,000 - $15,000

Labor Cost: Varies

Total Cost: $20,000 - 22,000

Source: https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/tesla-battery-replacement-costs

The cost has to be higher than that otherwise insurance co's wouldn't be totaling 100% of collision damaged EV's involving the battery pack.  Vehicle recycling yards are filling up with totaled EV's.  The problem is that the battery packs aren't being recycled because the critical mass of EV's required to invest in LiIon battery recycling plant hasn't been reached.  LiIon battery packs that have reached their EV end of life can be repurposed.  Physically damaged battery packs have to have the metals separated.  The is on facility in the US in the North East that separates the materials.

6 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

The cost has to be higher than that otherwise insurance co's wouldn't be totaling 100% of collision damaged EV's involving the battery pack.  Vehicle recycling yards are filling up with totaled EV's.  The problem is that the battery packs aren't being recycled because the critical mass of EV's required to invest in LiIon battery recycling plant hasn't been reached.  LiIon battery packs that have reached their EV end of life can be repurposed.  Physically damaged battery packs have to have the metals separated.  The is on facility in the US in the North East that separates the materials.

All true. What many people don’t know is insurance companies total vehicles when the repair costs hit 60 percent of the car’s value. If batteries cost $25,000 and you add the cost of all repairs and car depreciation from new, it doesn’t take long to reach 60 percent. 

So does this mean that EV's are more expensive to insure than ICE vehicles?

Or are those of us who drive the ICE-mobiles ("Piston Heads") subsidizing the EV drivers ("Sparkies")?  :huh:

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So does this mean that EV's are more expensive to insure than ICE vehicles?

Or are those of us who drive the ICE-mobiles ("Piston Heads") subsidizing the EV drivers ("Sparkies")?  :huh:

Ooooh, I see a trend here.

The “enlightened” hate the Immigration & Customs Enforcement - ICE. Internal Combustion Engines - ICE…. :D

Love the nicknames, Hardpan and I would like to sign up as a Piston Head. Can we get jackets and is there a tattoo design? Also, what weapons do we bring to the rumbles? :D

image.jpeg.a2d3a35c4b8398149b0abc0cdb5ef09b.jpeg

14 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Link to Industrial Equipment News article on the subject. https://www.ien.com/video/video/22780183/evs-not-as-sustainable-as-advertised

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Love the nicknames, Hardpan and I would like to sign up as a Piston Head. Can we get jackets and is there a tattoo design? Also, what weapons do we bring to the rumbles? :D

Wrenches & screwdrivers. The other side gets extension cords. :D

28 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

You ever been hit by an extension cord?

I think you're betting on the wrong team.

21 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Yup, but if I ran toward him fast enough I could punch or tackle him before he got off another lick.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:43 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

Our fire dept says if it's an Ev they just secure the area and let it burn.

Which is really what should be done for ICE vehicles unless they need to do an extraction or there is danger of explosion.  Except for the most minor of fires it's going to be totalled anyway.

16 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

It was reported in the broadcast media. 

Which we all know is always 100% accurate in everything.  That's why I get all my information about firearms from CNN and MSNBC.

https://www.findmyelectric.com/blog/tesla-battery-replacement-cost-explained/

"Finally, depending on whether there is damage to be repaired or a complication in the replacement, battery replacement is reportedly taking anywhere from 3 to 13 hours.   As labor costs at the Tesla Service center have been reported around $175-$200 per hour, that’s an additional $525-$2,600."

That 315 hours is like the moron who looked at how much it cost per minute at a Level 3 commercial charger and applied that rate to the charge time for a Level 1, at home, 120 volt charger and proclaimed that to fully charge the ordinary family EV it really cost several thousand dollars.  Which naturally got passed around as Gospel.

On 4/2/2023 at 9:06 AM, DocWard said:

It would meet the needs of the suburban dweller who just needs light hauling of mulch and bicycles as opposed to actually doing work with them. With the cost of body-on-frame trucks approaching new house territory, literally, they would be much cheaper as well.

Bingo! Very few people need to haul around a 15,000 pound trailer, 20 bags of cement, or a yard of dirt.

You see hundreds of 4WD almost-monster trucks that you know will never carry more than a few bags of groceries or a big screen television.  

Archived