Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Rain Slickers and Such


Tennessee River

Recommended Posts

On 4/8/2023 at 4:12 PM, Tennessee River said:

Thanks to everyone for your experience and advice. I bought a pommel slicker and it did ok. No matter what was worn, we all got cold-soaked to the bone today at the SC Bushwhack (you can see what this weather did at the Masters, 90 miles to our South). It was a Carolina Frog Strangler. 

Worst weather I’ve shot in so far, but best State match finish yet. My Outback duster was up to the challenge (needs a fresh coat of wax though) but my hat was not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Nor will several of your shooting buddies.

I always wonder do they love me for who I am or do they love me for my hat?

 

Imis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Worst weather I’ve shot in so far, but best State match finish yet. My Outback duster was up to the challenge (needs a fresh coat of wax though) but my hat was not.

  My 15 year old yellow slicker has seen better days.  I just ordered a fancy new one from Wyoming Outfitters.  I'll be ready for Ambush, where it always rains on me.

As tall as Iron Cowboy is getting, we could put a big hat on him and keep the whole posse dry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

  My 15 year old yellow slicker has seen better days.  I just ordered a fancy new one from Wyoming Outfitters.  I'll be ready for Ambush, where it always rains on me.

As tall as Iron Cowboy is getting, we could put a big hat on him and keep the whole posse dry.

I'm re-waxing my duster.  If Sharyn is nice I'll do hers too.  The rest of them are on their own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I'm re-waxing my duster.  If Sharyn is nice I'll do hers too.  The rest of them are on their own.

Do you use the wax or the spray?  I haven't had to retreat mine but figure I should after Saturday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

ill be interested in hearing how it works out , mine is a few years old and i might need to do it up one day soon , 

I heated the wax up with a hair dryer to soften it, then spread it with a sponge. I did - back, then front, then sides, then shoulders and arms. Once I covered an area I hit that area with the dryer until it changed from looking shiny and wet to matte. A few spots with a lot of wax required a little more wiping and dryer time. Seams got extra wax.

 

It took about a third of the container. Right now it’s hanging up, not touching other clothes. Later today I’ll make sure I didn’t miss any spots and maybe hit it with the hair dryer again if I see any shiny patches I missed. 
 

It seemed straightforward but is a slow process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks , that does seem a process but if it works i think it would be worth it , 

 

the last time i waterproofed was back in the ninety's but i used an aerosol on microfiber fabric , worked great but had to be done outdoors and in good weather , i still have that shell and pants and the still shed water great , but its not cowboy gear , 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.