SASS Wire Forum

Leave the breeding female fish alone, just catch the male fish

Buckshot Bear

That’s hilarious! :lol:

What would be even better? If they turned out to be really good bass lures. Can you imagine men flocking to outfitters and sporting goods stores to buy these up? Then the feminist groups and gender nazis flip out. There are protests and panel discussions on news shows and all the while fishermen everywhere are having a blast catching fish, buying them up like crazy before they’re banned. Fishing lure companies concede to the screechy and a compromise is agreed upon…

IMG_4190.thumb.jpeg.e388f36353af129d499d219116b24bc1.jpeg

A real opportunity here.

And if you have any doubts, just remember the Pet Rock craze! 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What would be even better? If they turned out to be really good bass lures. Can you imagine men flocking to outfitters and sporting goods stores to buy these up? Then the feminist groups and gender nazis flip out. There are protests and panel discussions on news shows and all the while fishermen everywhere are having a blast catching fish, buying them up like crazy before they’re banned. Fishing lure companies concede to the screechy and a compromise is agreed upon…

"Free the nipple"

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hahahahahahaha :) :) :) 

50 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Actually, with bass at least, it is the male who guards the fry school.  

46 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

LOL you'd be fun at parties :)

In reality @Dusty Devil Dale is correct. The female only guards the best a short while. The males guard the nests and fan the eggs to keep them oxygenated. Once the eggs hatch they’re guarded by the make for a time then they all go their separate ways. 

It’s still a darn funny joke though. Lures with boobs. :lol: They would catch a lot of humans. 

im big on catch/release , we [meaning my opening walleye weekend friends ] only keep the slot fish and eat them , its not all about the meat - its about the fun , we all turn loose the trophy fish , just photo/measure and call it good ....they are the breeders' if you will , 

ive always been a bass fisherman first - always release both the small mouth and large mouth i catch , when i moved north i started fishing northern and musky i release all of those as well , the walleyes came later , 

now when you talk crappie and brim [bluegills] or sunnys we eat them - they populate quick and grow fast 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

In reality @Dusty Devil Dale is correct. The female only guards the best a short while. The males guard the nests and fan the eggs to keep them oxygenated. Once the eggs hatch they’re guarded by the make for a time then they all go their separate ways. 

It’s still a darn funny joke though. Lures with boobs. :lol: They would catch a lot of humans. 

Yep a lot of fish species do..... But it's an Aussie tradition to say to a joke killer or joke overthinker "You'd be fun at parties" :)

Once the male makes the nest and is showing it off in hopes of a female accepting it if you drop a naked jig head into the nest he will pick it up and move it out of the nest area with his mouth to keep the nest area clean.

Set the hook and hang on.

Most lures catch more fishermen then fish

Actually, I was a State of Ca fishery biologist, doing research on black bass populations for the first fifteen years of my career.  I've spent hundreds of hours lying on the bottom of reservoirs with a SCUBA, observing bass nesting behavior and egg/ fry survival factors.  

Our agency regulated fishing tournaments, so some of the research was focused on increasing survival of released fish.  

One factor that greatly affected bass fry survival was the continuous presence of the male bass to guard the redd (nest) and emergent fry.   When a bluegill school located the nest, the male could not chase one of them very far, or in his absence, the other BG quickly devoured the reproductive products -- either eggs or fry.  So a big factor affecting  bass population maintenance is fishing during their nesting season (which also happens to be the best fishing season when many of the really large fish are caught).

If a male fish is released immediately, they can often return to the fry school before predators locate them.  But if they are held in a live well for more than a few minutes, while the angler tries to catch larger fish and cull the smaller ones, then the fry school is lost.  

So the individual adult fish caught by anglers are saved by being released at times of culling or weigh-in, but the tens of thousands of their progeny will certainly be lost.  

So catch and release during spawning times is not the panacea it is touted to be.  

13 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Most lures catch more fishermen then fish

All lures are designed to catch fishermen. If they also catch fish consider yourself lucky. 

22 hours ago, watab kid said:

im big on catch/release , we [meaning my opening walleye weekend friends ] only keep the slot fish and eat them , its not all about the meat - its about the fun , we all turn loose the trophy fish , just photo/measure and call it good ....they are the breeders' if you will , 

ive always been a bass fisherman first - always release both the small mouth and large mouth i catch , when i moved north i started fishing northern and musky i release all of those as well , the walleyes came later , 

now when you talk crappie and brim [bluegills] or sunnys we eat them - they populate quick and grow fast 

Same here. The only time I keep bass is when my lure hooks have hurt it so bad I probably will not make it if I release it. I also remove multiple treble hooks from some lures because of this. 

Bream, panfish, bluegill, sunfish, if plentiful in the area, I will keep some for food. These are actually my favorite fish to catch. Ounce for ounce the fightin’est fish in the country. Tough little devils. :D

Trout are also a favorite of mine to catch and keep on occasion. Most of the time I catch and release. If fishing is really good I will take a couple home to cook up for dinner for me and my wife.  

On 4/2/2023 at 10:27 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Same here. The only time I keep bass is when my lure hooks have hurt it so bad I probably will not make it if I release it. I also remove multiple treble hooks from some lures because of this. 

Bream, panfish, bluegill, sunfish, if plentiful in the area, I will keep some for food. These are actually my favorite fish to catch. Ounce for ounce the fightin’est fish in the country. Tough little devils. :D

Trout are also a favorite of mine to catch and keep on occasion. Most of the time I catch and release. If fishing is really good I will take a couple home to cook up for dinner for me and my wife.  

we are coming up on our fishing opener in about a month , i have a group i do that annual trip with , we will catch a limit of walleyes and we will keep them , my wife loves fish and we generally consume them shortly after , i enjoy both the trip and sharing with my wife what we caught , the rest of the year i seldom keep anything unless she says she wants them , 

i love the fishing and the catching but im not real big on the cleaning - i was raised to believe if you kill it you are responsible to clean it and eat it , otherwise dont kill it , much like you , i also believe if you catch it and it wont survive you are going to clean it and eat it , so i do , 

I bought some lures a guy and his kids made from bottle caps years ago. They were raising money for the scouts, boy and girl. I actually caught quite a few bass with the Budweiser cap lure. :D

I have no idea what became of those lures…oh, and I hate to admit it, but bass seem to order Coke over Pepsi 4 to 1 by bottle cap color, that is. ;)

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I bought some lures a guy and his kids made from bottle caps years ago. They were raising money for the scouts, boy and girl. I actually caught quite a few bass with the Budweiser cap lure. :D

I have no idea what became of those lures…oh, and I hate to admit it, but bass seem to order Coke over Pepsi 4 to 1 by bottle cap color, that is. ;)

....... it's good to know that the bass are more likely to leave my Pepsi alone and steal everyone elses Cokes  :blush:

Archived