SASS Wire Forum

What would you do?

Alpo

I'm out walking the dog the other night, and this vehicle comes driving along. It is a very distinctive vehicle - like the wienermobile, or the batmobile - and I recognize it immediately. I know the truck and I know where he lives, though I don't know him.

He stops at the stop sign. When he takes his foot off the brake to drive through the sign, all the lights on the back of the truck go out. He still has headlights, and when he gets to the stop sign at the end of the next block, I can see that he has brake lights. But he has no tail lights.

And I bet that he is unaware of this, because truthfully how many people know when your back-end lights are on or not? Do you do a walk around before you drive off at night?

So the next day while walking the dog, we take a little side trip and head up towards this guy's house to tell him. He has two aggressive dogs tied to his front stoop, and I don't believe they would let me go ring his bell. Especially as I had my dog with me at the time.

I stand there a while, hoping that he might look out the window to see what his dogs are raising hell about, but he never comes to the door, so I start home.

I stop at the house next door, and ask him if he is friendly with his neighbor - so he could pass on the word about the defective tail lights. But he tells me that he does not like the man and the man does not like him, and the dogs are very mean. So I go home.

I saw him just a little bit ago, while draining the dog before bedtime, and he still has no tail lights.

Would you just say - oh well, I tried? Or would you try something else to try to inform him that he had no tail lights?

I did that the next night. I saw him coming, at about the same time, so I waved him down. Amazingly he stopped - I don't know if I would stop for somebody standing out in the road waving at me. But it wasn't him. I apologized for stopping him and told him to have a nice time. I guess that guy drove off shaking his head.

This is a pickup truck with a very distinctive camper top. From the side or from the back there is no question who it is. But from the front, at night with headlights on, it looks exactly like a van, and that was a van that I waved down. :P

I've told a few driver's. Most say thank you, one told me to mind my own business! F em.:ph34r: Then there's the card with lights on if the ignition is on, but no tail lights unless they turn them on. You'd think they would notice that they have no dash lights. I've flashed mine to no avail. Just like the morons that drive in rain or snow with no lights, including our State Police.:wacko:

all you can do is try to let him know - its a ground issue im guessing , you dont put your well being or your dogs on the line over what could end up as a traffic ticket for him , most of us wont hit him as we see the reflectors built into the lenses , as well as recognize the shape and size of the vehicle ahead of us even without lights  , you did your good deed 

Went by the house again today, on our walk. The dogs again were raising hell, and this time he came outside to tell them to shut up. And I waved him over and told him he didn't have any tail lights. And he thanked me.

Actually said, "thank you sir", which is so nice to hear these days. Sir.

And then as I walked on down the street I saw him headed for the cab of the truck. I presume he was going to turn the lights on and then go look in the back and see if I was messing with him. Which is an intelligent thing to do. Just because I said it's so don't make it so.

Archived