SASS Wire Forum

Types of AA hulls

Too Tall Bob

I am familiar with the Winchester AA-HS hulls but ran across some marked Winchester AA-NR. What's the difference?

Also, is anyone familiar with Winchester Super-Handicap, light grey hulls?  They are marked Winchester 12 ga AA on the base. Any concerns on reloading them?

12 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Also, is anyone familiar with Winchester Super-Handicap, light grey hulls?  They are marked Winchester 12 ga AA on the base. Any concerns on reloading them?

Those load the same as the red AA hulls. Winchester sometimes uses different colors on their hulls to denote the application.

21 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

NR Stands for NON-RELOADABLE.

THAT is good to know. Into the trash they go!  Thanx!

On 3/31/2023 at 8:18 PM, Too Tall Bob said:

They are the same as the red AA hulls, I just shot a box of them yesterday that I reloaded in my MEC 9000E. I am trying to get the AA hulls to reload nicely after setting up my reloader for the STS hulls. I got it tweaked pretty close and wanted to try out the AA hulls so I reloaded a box of the grey to test them out. They all ran great.

TM

6 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I did not know this either, thank you!  What color are these?

Searching the net I have found references to black and gray. Personally I have never seen one. Apparently they are from Winchester's Steel shot lineup.

do know that there are black and gray AA hulls that are reloadable so going strictly be the color will not work.

10 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Here’s the hull in question:

EDD5D0CC-571C-4861-8CF0-16114B0CAD14.thumb.jpeg.f822e33cc71550d4ba0492cc006e75d6.jpeg38FF14AB-CA48-4D12-AB0D-442A169B88B5.thumb.jpeg.23af3de5eece7e88480d29da4f062f45.jpeg

I too didn't know about the NR...there are many Aussies reloading the Win featherlites, haven't heard of any problems, don't like them myself as I couldn't get a consistent final shell that I was happy with.

They say not to reload the 6 crimp throw aways but if I'm sometimes doing a particular load [ trap etc ] & don't need a lot I will reload them once, no worries so far !

The ones marked NR were loaded with steel shot and the hulls have different interior dimensions.  All other AAs are the same as far as reloading regardless of their color.  The colors are different to help differentiate between "standard" trap loads or handicap loads or the high velicity sporting clays loads.  Same with Remington.  Their "standard" shells are green and the Nitros, i.e., handicap loads, are gold.  Same hull just a different color.

P.S.  The new top of the line Federal HOA (High Overall Average) hull is a Remington STS dyed a reddish color.  One company owns Federal and Remington so Federal is borrowing some components.  Federal's "premium" shotshells have dropped in quality the past few years so they are trying to get back in the game with the HOA.

fedhoa-shotshow4.thumb.jpg.92c8d72066452dbf0153994efd286742.jpg

Ah ...missed the steel shot bit..I checked the Featherlites here & yes they are lead so that's probably why they are being reloaded., they are marked HS'.

HS stands for High Strenght.  HS is the standard AA hull. HS has been stamped on the hulls for the past 15 years or so to differentiate them from the old AA extruded hulls.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:09 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The ones marked NR were loaded with steel shot and the hulls have different interior dimensions.  All other AAs are the same as far as reloading regardless of their color. ...

But the NR hull in question was a Featherlight.   So you are saying that some AA Featherlights were loaded with steel shot?  That seems very strange. 

On 4/2/2023 at 8:09 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

All other AAs are the same as far as reloading regardless of their color.

Kinda. Depending on age you could have the older one piece hull or the newer 2 piece. I ended up with a ton of AAs from an auction, light and dark gray mostly . 
Same components, same press they load different.  AA one piece and STS seem to load the same, AA 2 piece needs some adjustments. At least that’s been my experience. 
LF

40 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

But the NR hull in question was a Featherlight.   So you are saying that some AA Featherlights were loaded with steel shot?  That seems very strange. 

A little googling came up with posts on shotgunworld.com where one said: "NR stamps on red "low recoil" AAs are reloadable according to the response I've received from Winchester and the basewads appeared the same as any other later model AAHS hull. Why they have NR instead of HS stamped on them is a mystery..."

And a couple years earlier some folks were surmising that it was a stamping mistake at Winchester.  Someone cut open one and it was a regular lead shot hull.

10 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

And a couple years earlier some folks were surmising that it was a stamping mistake at Winchester.  Someone cut open one and it was a regular lead shot hull.

Could be.  Once the machinery is up and running a lot of rounds could be stamped before anyone noticed.

10 hours ago, Long Fingers, SASS#56813 said:

Kinda. Depending on age you could have the older one piece hull or the newer 2 piece. I ended up with a ton of AAs from an auction, light and dark gray mostly . 
Same components, same press they load different.  AA one piece and STS seem to load the same, AA 2 piece needs some adjustments. At least that’s been my experience. 

I was primarily referring to HS hulls as that is all that has been available for many, many years.  The manuals all show the same loading data for the old one piece hulls and the HS, but in actual practice they are a little different on the inside and the stack height and precrimp might need to be adjusted.  This is sort of like talking about all .45 Colt cases can be reloaded with the same data and then someone saying well that does not work well with my old baloon head cases.

I had the same thing happen.  I picked up a bunch of AAs at the swap meet at Comin at Cha one year and when I got them home found they were the old extruded hull.  It is amazing that people will keep these things in a shed for decades.  The only remaining American made extruded hull is the Remington STS style hull.  (As far as I have been able to determine it is the only extruded hull made anywhere.) I hope that with all the cost cutting they continue making this hull as it is my favorite for reloading.

On my press I load the Red AA as well as the Grey AA hulls but I also load the green Remington STS and gun club. Even more than that I load the Blue peters hulls and of all these hulls I make ZERO changes to my press. 13 Grain of Tightgroup, CB1178-12 wads and 7/8oz of #8 or #7 1/2 shot using cheddite primers currently 

Archived