SASS Wire Forum

Old Piano and Pump Organ value

Sedalia Dave

Friends of mine are settling the estate of her mom. There are two Pianos and one pump organ as part of the estate.  How would one go about determining if they are worth anything?

Piano 1 is an Ellington. The cabinet needs work but it did appear all the keys were functional.

IMG_1339.thumb.jpeg.949f0e948f85cb4b64490668def4d18d.jpeg

IMG_1340.thumb.jpeg.327b2227c8dc482d7e18ec457abfdf74.jpeg

Piano 2 is a Packard / Bond Is in good condition

IMG_1341.thumb.jpeg.ae2eab42a957c9fb6d09d81fbccdad38.jpeg

IMG_1343.thumb.jpeg.5a2a887c7a2ef9106b29b650e93585b4.jpeg

I didn't find a maker on the pump organ. Didn't test it out but it appears to be in good condition.

Update. Based on pictures on the interwebs it is a Kimball Pump Organ made around 1900.

IMG_1345.thumb.jpeg.4e15fee556736036be8dd93904064075.jpeg

• Sedalia Dave changed the title to Old Piano and Pump Organ value
19 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Just hope you don't have to pay too much to have 'em hauled off....   :mellow:

I suspect they’ll be in the house when they sell it. 

So far my research shows they aren’t really worth anything. 

Sedalia Dave is correct.  If yiu could find a farmer who needs to slow down an expanding ditch, the uprights make a pretty good ditch stopper.  Each one of those babies run in the 800-900 lbs.

As for the old reed organ, we had one that a frend made into a cute, small desk.

Another possibility... if there is a college with a music department nearby, you might let them know what you have.  Some teachers and students enjoy rehabbing old instruments.  Negotiate.

33 minutes ago, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

Sedalia Dave is correct.  If yiu could find a farmer who needs to slow down an expanding ditch, the uprights make a pretty good ditch stopper.  Each one of those babies run in the 800-900 lbs.

As for the old reed organ, we had one that a frend made into a cute, small desk.

This is good advice. Call a piano mover or 1 800 GOT JUNK. It’ll cost some money to remove those maybe 400-500 if you’re lucky. I wouldn’t suggest you donate those to anyone because they’ll liable to encounter  multiple tunings and some possibly expensive repairs. Neither of those pianos are worth much at all if anything. 
The organ is not worth anything unless you find someone that wants a place to put pictures and knick knacks. Good luck! 
Maybe have them moved to your cowboy town for decoration. We have one at Firelands in our saloon, it’s not playable but it adds some ambiance and a place for mice ! :lol:

16 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Make good props for a saloon stage.

Yep we have one at Firelands , we mainly use it to put stuff on top.

24 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yep we have one at Firelands , we mainly use it to put stuff on top.

Paradise Pass also. We mostly use it to annoy people. :D

47 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Make good props for a saloon stage.

I remember Guns of August had one in their saloon. A bunch of keys were missing but it added to the atmosphere of the place.

Thanks @Rye Miles #13621 and @Dr. O. R. Vet for confirming what I thought.  After I posted I found an informative website and one thing the site stressed is that old pianos are seldom bargains even when free. Too many issues that can discourage new players.

Never thought about using one for a stage prop. That might work as a way to get rid of them.

BTW The reason for posting here is I knew I would get an honest answer. :)

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Thanks @Rye Miles #13621 and @Dr. O. R. Vet for confirming what I thought.  After I posted I found an informative website and one thing the site stressed is that old pianos are seldom bargains even when free. Too many issues that can discourage new players.

Never thought about using one for a stage prop. That might work as a way to get rid of them.

BTW The reason for posting here is I knew I would get an honest answer. :)

I get a couple calls every month from people trying to get rid of these old beasts! I tell them exactly what I told you. They can really be a money pit! Good luck!

Some of the older pianos have real ivory keys, you “ can’t sell ivory “ anymore but you will see people who are looking for them on various web sights. You just donate the keys to them and they pay you” shipping” they are neat if you want to try your hand at scrimshaw

Find a local auction house to come and get the pianos and anything else they want to sell

32 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Find a local auction house to come and get the pianos and anything else they want to sell

Yea they’ll get $5 for each piano!:lol: Old uprights are not worth anything unless it’s grandmas and the family wants to keep it!

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yea they’ll get $5 for each piano!:lol: Old uprights are not worth anything unless it’s grandmas and the family wants to keep it!

+100

When dad passed away he had an upright piano from the 50's in great shape, and an old player piano that needed some varnish, but worked.

I called schools, music stores, antique stores, etc. Most did not even return my calls. Those that did would not even come out and look at it.

We put a sign in the yard, FREE PIANO. For 2 days. Nobody stopped.

Finally a neighbor said they would take the 1950 stand up.

An old family acquaintance showed up and said my father promised her the player piano if he ever wanted to get rid of it.

I did everything I could to stay out of their way while both were moved.

6 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Some of the older pianos have real ivory keys, you “ can’t sell ivory “ anymore but you will see people who are looking for them on various web sights. You just donate the keys to them and they pay you” shipping” they are neat if you want to try your hand at scrimshaw

'Tain't much actual ivory in piano keys; it's only a thin veneer "cap."

Use of the ivory on keys was actually abandoned over sixty years ago.  Even Steinway started searching for practical alternate materials back on the 1930's.  Not so much from "environmentalist" or even cost reasons ~ although not cheap, the ivory was difficult to work with (something like 70% waste),  required extensive sun bleaching, was brittle, subject to splitting, sensitive to heat and humidity changes, and pretty much just a pain in the butt.  

Old cracked and stained ivory pistol grips are a thing of beauty; old cracked and stained piano keys not so much.  :rolleyes:

Colt 1860 Army Richards 2nd Model Revolver w/ Old Ivory Grips

main-qimg-6569cecd576f6e798cfc59a625fbde6a-lq

21 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

'Tain't much actual ivory in piano keys; it's only a thin veneer "cap."

Use of the ivory on keys was actually abandoned over sixty years ago.  Even Steinway started searching for practical alternate materials back on the 1930's.  Not so much from "environmentalist" or even cost reasons ~ although not cheap, the ivory was difficult to work with (something like 70% waste),  required extensive sun bleaching, was brittle, subject to splitting, sensitive to heat and humidity changes, and pretty much just a pain in the butt.  

Old cracked and stained ivory pistol grips are a thing of beauty; old cracked and stained piano keys not so much.  :rolleyes:

Colt 1860 Army Richards 2nd Model Revolver w/ Old Ivory Grips

main-qimg-6569cecd576f6e798cfc59a625fbde6a-lq

+1000 to Hardpan!!

Archived