SASS Wire Forum

Better to match Brakes?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I had the rear brakes wear out on my Honda.

I shopped around and decided to get the best grade of napa parts.

The front pads have around 30 % left so it could be a while for the front.

I wonder if I should buy matching parts for the front now and have them 

installed whenever needed???

Any brake expertsz??

Should I just go with the best at that time????

Thanks aheadotime.

Best

CR

This is for a grocery getter NOT a competition car at all.

No stops from 150 mph....

• Chili Ron changed the title to Better to match Brakes?

Brakes aren't like many other auto parts. the front brakes do about 70-80% of the stopping, so even if you were to match the parts, they won't wear evenly. That's why many vehicles still have drum brakes in the rear, and discs in the front. I'm guessing that you replaced the fronts some time ago, but not the rear because they didn't need it. As long as you go with a decent part, and break them in properly, you'll be fine.

Curious as to the wear on your pads. As Sgt. stated, the fronts provide the majority of stopping power, got to wonder why the rears have worn out before the fronts. Have you had the fronts replaced without replacing the rears? Also wondering if you are a left foot braker.

Regardless, if the fronts only have 30% left, replace both sets at the same time IMO.

48 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Curious as to the wear on your pads. As Sgt. stated, the fronts provide the majority of stopping power, got to wonder why the rears have worn out before the fronts. Have you had the fronts replaced without replacing the rears? Also wondering if you are a left foot braker.

Regardless, if the fronts only have 30% left, replace both sets at the same time IMO.

I was curious about the breaks wearing out on the rear of my wife’s Subaru before the fronts and was told by the mechanic doing the break job that many of the manufacturers have re proportioned the rear brakes to do much more of the work than in the past. Her car has 150,000 on it and the rears have worn out first each time . I drive a dodge 1500 and the rears just wore out for the first time at 75,000 . I go to the same place for a rotation and oil change every 5,000 the mechanic said drive it til the fronts are ready. So far no issues doing this 

Howdy,

I bought the crv a few years back.

There was plenty of time for the orig owner to wear  out the fronts.

I was tempted to do all but when a third is left......

Best

CR

different proportioning...hmmm...interesting  verrrry interistink.....

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I was curious about the breaks wearing out on the rear of my wife’s Subaru before the fronts and was told by the mechanic doing the break job that many of the manufacturers have re proportioned the rear brakes to do much more of the work than in the past. Her car has 150,000 on it and the rears have worn out first each time . I drive a dodge 1500 and the rears just wore out for the first time at 75,000 . I go to the same place for a rotation and oil change every 5,000 the mechanic said drive it til the fronts are ready. So far no issues doing this 

I’ve never heard of that. If the rear brakes are doing that much work, they’ll be more prone to locking up under heavy braking. Sounds to me like the Subaru has a dragging parking brake or other problem. That’s not normal in my experience. How many miles are you getting out of a set of brakes?

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’ve never heard of that. If the rear brakes are doing that much work, they’ll be more prone to locking up under heavy braking. Sounds to me like the Subaru has a dragging parking brake or other problem. That’s not normal in my experience. How many miles are you getting out of a set of brakes?

It also happens on Ram brand trucks , my 17 a buddies 16 , I’ve asked quite a few people about it and my understanding is it’s a pretty common thing anymore 

70 to 75,000 out of the rears , I haven’t replaced the factory fronts on my truck , my wife’s Subaru was at about 90,000 if I remember right 

Subaru is a 13 

Howdy,

Turning rotors was always an iffy thing.  

If they werent spot on parallellell they were not good.

Just bolt on decent quality new and go.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

It also happens on Ram brand trucks 

Medium duty trucks do the same thing. my international 4700 and gmc 6500 wear out rears  far faster than front

Should you buy the fronts now so the brakes match?  While you want the physical material of your brake pads to match on all four discs, you do not need to buy them now.  Pad material for a commuter car does not advance yearly.  The price of the pads will go up so a sale now may be better than paying full price when you need them.

Do you need to replace the front brakes with the rears?  No.  You do have to replace all brakes on the axle at the same time.  Left and right need to match, front and rear do not.  

Is something wrong with your brakes because they're wore out at X miles or the rears wore out first?  Not necessarily.  Older cars with fixed proportioning wore out front brakes first, newer cars wear out rears first.  The rate at which the rears wear vs the fronts wear depends on your vehicle and driving.  True, the rear brakes do less of the stopping load, as such the rears are smaller and thinner.  Electronics account for the rest of the wear.  Modern ride quality, drive train, ESC, ETC, ABS, LSD included on newer vehicles all wear the rear brakes more.

Are "top of the line" brake pads right for you?  Not necessarily, more expensive does not mean the material is a better fit for your driving.  More expensive generally does mean more miles between pad changes.

Front vs rear wear is due to fixed brake proportioning although I have seen a few Toyota pickups that adjust front/rear bias dynamically.   Usually cars are biased to the front for panic stops as weight transfer moves a lot of weight to the front and not much to the rear.   Worst case of this was a Kia we drove up pikes peak.  Front brakes were over 400, rears were almost cold.   Safer to have the fronts lock first.  You do lose steering, but don’t spin out.  

I do not worry about matching pads or rotors.  On recent cars I have found the pads are so hard that rotors are needed with every pad change.  Rears being worse as they are often part of the hub on front wheel drive cars.  Fronts are easy, just slap on new rotors and pads.  Rears, it’s a whole bearing change to swap hubs.   Just replace as needed. 

Howdy,

Now that I think about it ABS might have something to do wiith it.

Finally I just fix what is broke.

The car could get totalled tomorrow. 

Ya never know.

Best

CR

Archived