SASS Wire Forum

has anyone been shot while wearing a bulletproof vest?

Alpo

Several years ago - late 70s, maybe early 80s - I'm reading this article. It's about Kevlar body armor. Brand new thing.

Playing a tape recording of a cop and a after action report. He said the suspect shot him just above the breastbone with a 357. He drew his gun and put the suspect down for good and all. And they stopped the tape. And most of the class - I probably should have mentioned this was taking place in a police academy classroom - is saying that that's impossible. Shot in the chest with a 357 he's not going to return fire. And then one guy in the classroom asked what kind of vest he was wearing. The instructor smiled and turned the tape recorder back on and you heard the interviewer ask that exact question - what kind of vest were you wearing?

This implies that if you got shot while wearing Kevlar you could continue what you were doing. The officer that was shot said that it felt like he had been hit in the chest with a baseball bat. But it didn't put him down and he was able to draw his gun and shoot the bad guy.

Every cop show that I can recall, where somebody is wearing a vest and gets shot, they always go down. Several seconds at least. Maybe even a couple of minutes. Before they return to the land of the  living.

That could very easily be done for dramatic effect.

It happened just now in the show I was watching. Takes three to the chest. Lying on the ground not moving. Then after about a minute and a half he gasps, and his partner unzips his jacket and we see --- he's wearing a vest, with three bullets stuck in it. Golly.

Whenever someone uses a taser in a cop show, they get hit and stand there and shake while you hear the taser going ZZZZZZZZ. But I saw an  aggressive dog get shot with a taser once, and he just dropped like a sack of wet cement. Like the taser had turned off all of his voluntary muscle control. Which, I understand, is pretty much what it does.

So they do things with tasers that aren't the way it really works, to make the show more exciting. Just curious as to whether they do things with vests, that aren't the way they really work, just to make the show more exciting.

And unlike my experience with the aggressive dog, I've never seen anyone wearing a vest get shot. So I don't know how they really react.

Anyone have some real life experience?

I haven't but am friends with two cops who have survived. Both were able to continue the fight, even though it hurt. The developer, Rich Davis used to shoot himself in the chest with a .44 magnum to demonstrate the vests until his Doctor told him to knock it off after many years of this.

Took a SKS round in the chest after it had gone through two metal window frame and the windshield they held, and some rubber molding on an M-151 Mutt.  It then hit the right chest pocket of my "bulletproof" vest and blew my $40.00 Irish pipe and a pouch of tobacco all to pieces, busted the ceramic plate in the vest and stopped just under the skin on the right side of my rib cage.

It left a spectacular bruise and a few days of pain, but nothing more.  A soldier with a  M-79 in a following vehicle got the sniper and I brought her rifle home with me.  Of all the guns I have gotten rid of that one is the most regretted.  I also lost the bullet that they took out of me. 

I never reported it to the right people and don't even have a Purple Heart to show for it.

I've known several officers that have taken a shot to the vest but I wasn't present and I don't know how they initially reacted.  None of them went unconscious as far as I know.  I'm pretty sure that's Hollywood.  The reaction to the taser can vary from person to person.  As a general rule, they will lock up and hit the ground making all kinds of horrible noises.  

Oh, forgot to mention, I have been hit with a Taser. Dropped me to my knees, but at least it quits hurting once the trigger lets up.

I've seen a lot of tv shows where when someone gets tasered they twitch a bit followed by unconsciousness.  But as pointed out, the effects normally end when the voltage is stopped. 

I worked as a correctional officer and we went through the training several times. At a party with others from work the wives and girlfriends were hilariously entertained watching videos.

3 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Rich Davis used to shoot himself in the chest with a .44 magnum to demonstrate the vests.

This was the impetus for the Second Chance Bowling Pin competition. Davis would load a Model 29 with standard .44 Mag ammo, spin the cylinder, close it, shoot himself with it and immediately turn the gun around and shoot 5 bowling pins off of a table to prove that all the rounds were full power rounds. This shows him doing it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rich+davis+second+chance&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5q7rzrIX-AhUXHkQIHbaXDIUQ0pQJegQIBxAE&biw=1396&bih=657&dpr=1.38#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:4a6436f5,vid:IwBLL7Z3OvU

I have multiple friends who have been shot while wearing a vest. One was shot at point-blank range with a .357.  The bullet went through his left hand (he was in the process of drawing his pistol, and a proper draw has the support hand coming up to the chest when the strong hand is grabbing the gun).  After passing through his hand, it stopped on his vest.  He was able to return fire one-handed immediately.  He did not go down.

My other friends who were shot in the vest did not go down, either.

Archived