SASS Wire Forum

Anybody been to Ireland

Irish Pat

Do it on a Motorcycle ...

The sights are really great...

And there are some really neat places to put up for the night...

Jabez Cowboy

Bunratty Castle and Folk Park.  My wife asked if it was for sale and a lady guide told her to ask at the local pub.  She did and never paid for anything.  I personally never got a cent out of it.

Don't kiss the Blarney Stone.  A guide told my wife the locals pee on it.   

Cliffs of Moher, Carrickfergus Bridge, Giant's Causeway, Connemara Mtns, Merrion Square, St James Gate, Book of Kells, Trinity Castle, Nassua St. and pubs, lotsa pubs........

Several years back my son traveled in several countries "over there". Ireland was by far his favorite.

Everyone I know who has been to Ireland has loved it.

I'm sure you will as well.

What to do? Go slow and enjoy it all. B)

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Several years back my son traveled in several countries "over there". Ireland was by far his favorite.

Everyone I know who has been to Ireland has loved it.

I'm sure you will as well.

What to do? Go slow and enjoy it all. B)

You have to go slow.  The roads are very narrow and nothing moves over for you.

we rented an air bub or whatever they are called, stayed out of motels/hotels. It was located southwest of central Ireland. We had a full three bedroom house fully furnished. Heated by peat burning stove. Cheaper and better than any hotel/motel.

We rented a car for the time there. Every day we took a day trip to some part of the country. Our location allowed us to reach the ocean and we stopped at anyplace that looked interesting. NO TOURS. I will second the "don't kiss the blarney stone" comment.

Eat at the pubs, excellent food and reasonalble prices, and lots of beverages. Rock Shore beer is excellent. Sea food is best ever, oysters have the salty flavor. We also stayed at a bed and breakfast, which there were many in the southern part of the country. For breakfast we were treated to an amazing spread. A full Irish breakfast served on china.

My suggestion, because it worked for us, is to stay away from the tourist traps, go your own speed, see what interests you, and enjoy a beautiful country.

Sat on the runway there Twice in the last 10 years, once was kind of boring just waiting for a few passengers to board on the way back to Calgary...

Once we landed, then we taxied way fair piece away from any buildings or planes and waited ... Then the Front door were opened and it was announced that all male passengers between the age of 17 and 35 were to make their way to the door. They were told not to take any personal items with them... Several had to be encouraged to do that...

Then two officers dressed in body armor with M-16s came down each side of the plane lead by a Dog... Closer attention was given to the areas close to the vacated seats...

After about a hour the male passengers filed back on, I don't know if any were detained or not... As we were not allowed to get out of our seats and the fasten seatbelts sign remained on...

Then we taxied over and loaded a few more passengers and of to Canada...

Jabez Cowboy  

We went last September. Four of us and a service dog. Spent most nights in bnb, one in Ballyseede castle in Tralee. Took the “Wild Atlantic Way” around the isle. Roads are skinny, no shoulders, steering wheel on the wrong side, you are driving on the wrong side and these big a$$ tractor’s have at least one wheel in your lane even when they are as far over as they can get. Speed limits mostly 80 kph sometimes up to 100 kph. Saw lots of cars missing mirrors and creases in the side. As we were there as photographers our only disappointment was the no shoulder/no pullout thing, if you saw something to photograph you simply stopped in the middle of the road and hoped no one was coming. 
If you like history, cemeteries and green vegetation you will love it. 
Beautiful country and terrific people. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

image.thumb.jpeg.e761a8d1105c8227b27974a7e21cecc4.jpeg

Hey.  I have been to Ireland eight times over the years.  I am going again on May 10th thru the 28th. I chose those dates because on the 25th of May in 1921 my grandfather along with many of his other comrades in arms burned Custom House in Dublin.  There is a commemoration ceremony on May 25th at Custom House.  Send me your email address and phone number.  I will email you some good travel info, and answer any questions you might have on the phone.

I've been to Bushmills (in Norn Irlun) but there's nothing wrong with Mr Jameson's fine whiskey.

Don't know where you're headed.  They say the west is the REAL Ireland, but I've never been there.  I have been to the east, North from Giant's Causeway down South to Waterford. I love Dublin.  I love County Meath.  Newgrange is not to  be missed - predates the pyramids. 

Go to public houses daily - have yer tea there.  Good food, reasonable prices, properly pulled pints.

Ask any Irishperson for directions.  Even small children.  NEVER ask TWO Irishpersons for directions - you'll never get there.

All Irish directions start with "Ye go up hyere & tarn" and they all end with "Ye can't go wrong."  You can, but it won't matter.

In Ireland, sex is the nomber after five.

NOBODY says top of the mornin.  In fine weather, it's "Lovely day"  the response is "God be thanked for it."  If it's raining, it's "Soft marning" and the response is "God bless it." 

Learn this:  Thank you in Irish is Go raibh ma agut (say ga rev ma agut).  The Irish can't spell for s#*t.

Stay in B&B's.  No exception.

Have the time of yer life, wherever yer at.

Tyrconnell Single malt Irish Whiskey is made at Cooley Distillery in Athlone.  They give tours and have a tasting room as well as a store.  It is on the main road from Dublin to Galway.

On 3/30/2023 at 2:53 PM, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

We went last September. Four of us and a service dog. Spent most nights in bnb, one in Ballyseede castle in Tralee. Took the “Wild Atlantic Way” around the isle. Roads are skinny, no shoulders, steering wheel on the wrong side, you are driving on the wrong side and these big a$$ tractor’s have at least one wheel in your lane even when they are as far over as they can get. Speed limits mostly 80 kph sometimes up to 100 kph. Saw lots of cars missing mirrors and creases in the side. As we were there as photographers our only disappointment was the no shoulder/no pullout thing, if you saw something to photograph you simply stopped in the middle of the road and hoped no one was coming. 
If you like history, cemeteries and green vegetation you will love it. 
Beautiful country and terrific people. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

image.thumb.jpeg.e761a8d1105c8227b27974a7e21cecc4.jpeg

Sounds like Antigua (except for the tractors). Do they have those $#% English roundy round things? :lol:

JHC

Years ago, yes. Dublin and Belfast. Train ride north was amazingly green. Everyone was beyond friendly. Pubs are great. Ask to try some poitín (pot-cheen); Irish moonshine. You won’t find it anywhere else and it’s light years beyond what is sold commercially. Other than that, get away from the major cities as quickly as possible. They’re generally super touristy as compared to the towns. 

Walk. Go to pubs.  Listen to the songs, and the stories.  Let it fill your senses.  Visit the West; the Ring of Kerry, and the Ring of Dingle. Cliffs of Moher. Visit Donegal. And Cork. 

I almost hesitate to say this, but don't be an Ugly American.

Slàinte, (that's "Cheers," in Gaelic)

FJT

Spent a year and a half inn N. Ireland in the mid-70s. Derry and that area. Giant's Causeway, Bushmill's distillery, northern coast. Probably changed a lot since then.  

Archived