SASS Wire Forum

Pump Rifles in SASS

Waimea

The only part that I’ve had to change on any of my numerous Pedersoli Lightnings was the firing pin on a .357 model. I bored out the firing pin channel and installed the larger more robust firing pin for a 44-40/.45 model and have never had another one break. I’ve got a stock pile of parts, just in case, but I’ve never had to use them. Lassiter gave me back one of my Pedersoli at EOT that he did the slam fire mod on and he came across a broken receiver side screw that he replaced. 

8 hours ago, Waimea said:

Haha!

In the opening scene of the Rifleman what they don't show is Chuck Connors dodging spent shells. I had one hit me in the front tooth. 

It isn't all glamour being an Outlaw!:lol:

At my first Black Gold it was pretty hot so I slid my glasses down my nose a bit to keep them from fogging up.  On one stage 6 cases fell behind my glasses. 3 behind each lens stacked sideways on top of each other resting on my cheeks. It wasn't the first time I had a case do that and they usually just leave a red mark. They alternated between left and right and as the 3rd case stacked on both sides the top row was just below my pupils. I remember thinking "one more and I'll have to reach up and let them out". I finished with the rifle(no misses) , turned to head for the shotgun and reached up with my thumb and pushed out my glasses to release the brass. As they dropped out I heard one of my posse members gasp. Lol.

4 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

As they dropped out I heard one of my posse members gasp. Lol.

The price you have to pay for being an Ultimate Outlaw.

I'm surprised all of them didn't gasp.

17 hours ago, Waimea said:

Looking to shake it up a bit.

I picked up a single shot 12 gauge. It's an H&R replica. Pretty easy to operate from the hip. The lightning would be way faster if it ran well.

Last time I ran mine, I was challenged to shoot Rifleman (all from the hip) I showed up with the lighting. I had forgotten how fun it was to shoot from the hip especially if there were multi taps. Give me a dump target and I go wild. Mine is set up to slam fire so no jacking one out. However it does move with each rack. 

26 minutes ago, Tn Tombstone said:

Last time I ran mine, I was challenged to shoot Rifleman (all from the hip) I showed up with the lighting. I had forgotten how fun it was to shoot from the hip especially if there were multi taps. Give me a dump target and I go wild. Mine is set up to slam fire so no jacking one out. However it does move with each rack. 

I like the 10 on 3 and Lawrence Welk sweep with my Lightnings. Someone once told me he saw all 10 empties in the air at the same time  after a 10 on 3.

Are the Uberti's junk too? Been trying to work a trade for a like new one in 45C. Tried it and it seemed to cycle okay, but I didn't try to race it. Don't believe anything has been done to it as it looked like new and the owner has only shot it a little and never at a match.

2 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Are the Uberti's junk too? Been trying to work a trade for a like new one in 45C. Tried it and it seemed to cycle okay, but I didn't try to race it. Don't believe anything has been done to it as it looked like new and the owner has only shot it a little and never at a match.

You might give Lassiter a call, he gave me an education at EOT about .45 in a pump action rifle. Elrod gave me nearly the same education about 10-12 years ago and Lassiter reenforced it. Both of the .45 lightnings that I had gave you shots of burned and unburned powder right in the face during a string AND it got down in the action too. Keeping the action clean especially down around the cartridge stop lever is a must to keep the rifle running. If the cartridge stop lever fails to rise because it’s dirty and all gunked  up a cartridge will more than likely feed under the lifter or elevator and freeze up the rifle. It then has to be disassembled to clear the jam and that’s a real hard thing to accomplish when you’re at a match and it’s distracting to other shooters, been there done that.  When a jam like that occurs you also have the possibility of a live round in the chamber to deal with while you’re disassembling the rifle. Don’t get me wrong on this being only a .45 caliber rifle problem. It has happened on rare occasions on my 44-40 match guns when I don’t clean them for long periods of time, I’m kinda lazy that way and it bites me on the ass on occasion. Really all you have to do to keep the action running smooth is remove the butt stock and spray gun cleaner, I use Gun Scrubber into the action and really get it down into the area where the cartridge stop lever is and spray it good and work the action and then used compressed air to blow out the grit and excess solvent/cleaner. Stand it up and let it drain for an hour or so and then spray the action with lubricant and let is stand over night to let the excess run out and reattach the stock in the morning and you’re all set. About once a year I’ll tear my match lightnings down and do a deep cleaning and lubrication.

I have an AWA in 44-40 using it mainly for WB.  But, I don't race.  Runs smoother than glass empty, but firing... no mods, it does hiccup every once in a while. Or I haven't got the muscle memory down pat yet.  

Thinking maybe I should just be happy with my Marlin that runs flawless. :)

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

I don’t know, owning a Lightning is kinda like a love affair with a stripper, nice to look at but making her happy can be a challenge.:D

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

I don’t know, owning a Lightning is kinda like a love affair with a stripper, nice to look at but making her happy can be a challenge.:D

That's pretty much the gist I've been hearing.:D

I notice no one has mentioned how hard they are to re-assemble after a full cleaning, or at least the AWA is a pill to get the linkage back together the first try.

4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Maybe you're just not pumping it right. 

The Lightning...you dirty minded so-n-so's!:o:ph34r::P

2 minutes ago, Tn Tombstone said:

I notice no one has mentioned how hard they are to re-assemble after a full cleaning, or at least the AWA is a pill to get the linkage back together the first try.

I’ve worked on a couple of AWA’s and they are much harder to reassemble than a Pedersoli Lightning. I can almost reassemble the Pedersoli with my eyes closed. 

Maybe I should trying that, closing my eyes. That is the reason my stays in my safe most of the time. I will keep my eyes out for a Pedesoil.

Like I said before, keeping the .45 version of the Lightning is very important.  I never had a round go under the carrier though.  Mine is an AWA. 

I DID have a round go under the carrier with my AWA .44-40 though.  It was also very difficult to load round 8-10 into the magazine.  When the round got stuck under the carrier and I took it apart, I discovered that there was some kind of a plug in there that limited the magazine to 10 rounds.   Since its removal, it has never again repeated any of these problems.  It also in general stays cleaner too.  :)

I guess I am in the minority here, but I think the AWA's are good guns.  I am 2 for 2 with excellent results.

44 minutes ago, Tn Tombstone said:

I've been already warned about that fun!

1 hour ago, Tn Tombstone said:

Not really that hard.  Many guns have quirks in how they come apart or go back together.  Lightnings are really quite simple in design.  As far as the "linkage" issue I can use the same photo I used earlier in this thread and just move the arrow.  The pump has a rectangular slot in it.  The tail of the locking lugs has to go into this slot.  (Arrow.)  The upper receiver contains the bolt and the lower receiver has the pump.  The usual way to put them together is to put the pump at the half-way mark and move the bolt to the middle of its travel.  Then as you press the two parts of the receiver together you wiggle the bolt a little until you feel the parts mate.  The first couple of times it seems hard but after you have done it a couple of times no big deal.

P1020880.thumb.jpeg.657538c9d132b04c04b21d058c4c337a.jpeg

9 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Ah...on the Hollywood Boulevard of pump rifles.

Yup, just like The Kinks sing in Celluloid Heroes.......'Everybody's a dreamer, everybody's a star.....'

Some lines from that song can be easily rewritten to 'People who worked and suffered and struggled to finish the stage, Some who succeeded, and some who suffered in vain'

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I tried to amputate my trigger finger with a Marlin trigger once.:lol:

Might have been why I sold it and bought a '73.

1 hour ago, Waimea said:

You’ll never have that problem with a Lightning rifle.

10 hours ago, Waimea said:

I went with the one piece straight trigger. :rolleyes:

Archived