SASS Wire Forum

I can't get my Schofield thumb latch back on the revolver.

I took my Schofield apart to clean it - down to removing the side plate. I left the trigger and all other parts in place. Now, in trying to put it together again, I cannot get the thumb latch back in place. I can't get the little notch on the right  side of the thumb latch (in line with the screw hole)  to slide over the tiny metal piece on the frame.  The latch slid right off when I was dissembling it and it should slide right back on - but it isn't.

Any suggestions? Anyone else had this problem with the Uberti .45 Schofield?

I am tempted to try to span the opening of the latch a tiny bit (if that is even possible), or try filing away the little piece of metal on the frame in hopes  that the latch screw will hold it right.

15 minutes ago, Carolina Clint, SASS #76965 said:

I am tempted to try to span the opening of the latch a tiny bit (if that is even possible), or try filing away the little piece of metal on the frame in hopes  that the latch screw will hold it right.

YIKES!  No do not file away anything.  You did not post a good CLEAR photo of what you are talking about but it sounds like the tail of the spring that tensions the latch.  If that is what it is you have to depress the spring enough to get the latch back on.

Found this.  Go to 7:45 and it shows removing the latch spring.  It is the tail of this spring that has to fit into the notch on the latch.  Unfortunately the guy does not show how to put the latch back in.  File that spring and your latch will not work.

Hope it works

Expand opening

Filing

Three things that should never enter your mind when assembling your guns.   The factory got them together.  Resist trying to shortcut their process for assembly and possibly destroying your firearm.

Dremel

One tool to certainly avoid until your have your shade-tree gunsmithing graduation certificate.  And perhaps even after that point.

good luck, GJ

Thanks for the "Don't do it!" advice. I'll keep trying to figure out why this latch won't go back where it is supposed to go.

I do not have a Schofield in my hands right now.  My recollection is that when you remove the screw it pops up just a bit releasing the spring tension and will come out very easily.  When you put it back you have to make sure the tail of the spring is in the notch and you have to push down on the latch to compress the spring and line up the screw holes.  As I recall sometimes it is a little difficult as the spring is stiff.

After getting in some strong light , I was finally  able to see both the notch and the spring and able to push the latch back into place. Thanks to all advice.

53 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Next time someone has a question about an odd gun problem, my suggestion is to just skip the Wire post and send a PM to Pettifogger. :)  

Good idea, but then the rest of don't get to learn from someone else's pain and grump.:lol:

Archived