SASS Wire Forum

Non sass? Reloading 9mm, bullet dia.

Eyesa Horg

Started looking to get supplies and found some mfg have .355 in FMJ and others .356 in FMJ. Figured I'd start with FMJ and get the hang of it and then go with cast HyTech coated for cost savings. I was under the impression that FMJ were .355 and cast would be .356, but found both are available in both diameters. Which is the better. I will be launching them from a Kimber Micro 9 for practice. My EDC factory loads are 147gr. Thought I'd go with 115gr or 124 gr. for these practice rounds.

Whatcha all think?

EH

It is normally best to use the same weight as your every day carry loads for many reasons.

As to diameter, it may make a little difference according to what gun/barrel you use but either .355 or .356 is perfectly acceptable.

Personally, I would stick with .355” in FMJ.
I might use .356” in a copper plated bullet if .355 wasn’t available. 

28 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Personally, I would stick with .355” in FMJ.
I might use .356” in a copper plated bullet if .355 wasn’t available. 

Would you go 356 for cast?

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

Would you go 356 for cast?

Yes, no problem with cast. 

The reason I don’t like plated in .356” is because I caught some plating shrapnel in the face when firing my Glocks. Kind like if you over crimp a plated revolver round. It may have been a bad batch of bullets but since then I only use .355” in plated 9mm bullets. 

No cast bullets in early generation Glocks, unless you don't believe their strong warnings..

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

No cast bullets in early generation Glocks, unless you don't believe their strong warnings..

good luck, GJ

Good point. Only in my Gen 5. 

Just as a general rule I use .355 plated or jacketed and .356 lead or polycoated. Mostly I shoot .355 124gr copper plated as they are the cheapest and shoot fine in all my 9mm guns.

I use 124gr HST+P for carry ammo so I want something that I can duplicate the feel and poi with.

I’ve shot allot of these, guess I like them be they punch a neat hole in paper and look like a mini 45acp with a 200 hr H&G cast boolet 

https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=207&category=5&secondary=8&keywords=

13 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I use 124gr HST+P for carry ammo so I want something that I can duplicate the feel and poi with.

I’ve shot allot of these, guess I like them be they punch a neat hole in paper and look like a mini 45acp with a 200 hr H&G cast boolet 

https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=207&category=5&secondary=8&keywords=

You don't have any issues with swc bullets chambering? I've never had them work reliably in an automatic. 

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

You don't have any issues with swc bullets chambering? I've never had them work reliably in an automatic. 

No problem, I shoot them out of a couple of Staccato’s and Glock like pistols with Barsto and Wilson barrels . They also work fine in my P365 and CZ . And I can’t even imagine how many 200gr 45 in this style I’ve shot out of a 1911. If it worries you everyone sells the cone bullets and traditional round nose . Missouri bullets has always done right by me but I know a few people that love blue bullets , supposedly they have their own coating , I think they claim theirs smoke the least , never tried them but I always hear good things about them.

https://thebluebullets.com

37 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

No problem, I shoot them out of a couple of Staccato’s and Glock like pistols with Barsto and Wilson barrels . They also work fine in my P365 and CZ . And I can’t even imagine how many 200gr 45 in this style I’ve shot out of a 1911. If it worries you everyone sells the cone bullets and traditional round nose . Missouri bullets has always done right by me but I know a few people that love blue bullets , supposedly they have their own coating , I think they claim theirs smoke the least , never tried them but I always hear good things about them.

https://thebluebullets.com

I've had good luck with Missouri as well. Thanks for your input.

Archived