SASS Wire Forum

Computer Technology

Subdeacon Joe

I remember them in Dasco Disk Packs, when they were State of the Art.

IBM Mainframes. I think the 4381 was the last one I bought.

Wow! My iPhone is a 256 GB. :lol:

I remember in 1983 Hughes Aircraft bought 2 state of the art HP personal type computers for $50,000 each. They had 50 MB hard drives and the very first color monitors that HP put out. We also got a 16 pen plotter for making graphic displays. I never learned what was paid for that. It wasn’t cheap. 

RK08s were hot stuff at one time.

The first computer I worked with had Ampex tape drives for storage. My s mart watch has more memory!

it seems weird but yes - i went from a slide rule to a calculator in college - the computers back then took up a room , a good sized one when i started my first job in contracting , and the data was limited , 

today we have way more in our daily phone than what put us on the moon , and we can wear t on our wrist if we want to go retro look , 

i thought my grandmothers life was remarkable going from horses to cars and learning [licensed]  to drive [as well as vote] seeing us fly cross country to intercontinental regularly , seeing two world wars as well as witnessing the span am war as a teenager , knowing relatives that fought in our civil war , 

wonder what our kids will reflect on in these melancholy moments ?

Archived