SASS Wire Forum

Shotshell Reloading Cost - am I looking at this right?

Bearfoot Tracker

I was thinking of getting into reloading my shotshells, but it does not seem like it was save me much money based on my calculations.

Given the current going price of things today, this is what I came up with:

Hull:                    $  0.00

Primer:               $  0.10  (Remington or Winchester)

Powder:             $  0.16  (13-14 grains)

Wad:                   $  0.03 (CB0178-12)

Shot:                   $  0.18  (#8 lead)

$  0.47 / Shotshell

I can get a box of low recoil shotshells for $  0.50 / shot.

Where am I going wrong in my calculations. Or, am I close to what it cost to reload.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bearfoot,

Your calculations seem reasonable, cost may vary by the area that you're in, but just finding factory low recoil ammunition may be a large factor.

Personally, I haven't seen Remington LNLR on the shelf in a long time. I started reloading shotshells for CAS so that I could tailor my loads to fit my needs, not necessarily for saving money.

Choctaw Jack 

I like the shear convenience of just walking downstairs and loading them when I need them. With increased cost of components, I probably don't save much, but then I don't have to drive around trying to find them either. I've got a few years worth of SG components, so I'm still at the $5+ a box for while.

Thanks everyone for their response.

I have enough shells to get my wife and I through the end of the year (shooting once a month), but that is it.

I will start buying the powder & primers for reloading whenever they come available. I can buy everything else (wads, shots, reloader) once I have those.

In the mean time, I will continue looking for shells to hit the shelf.

You did not put down your actual costs.  If you calculate the cost based on your powder cost and shot cost you are looking at $80 a pound for powder and $72 for 25 pounds of shot.  Even in this day and age that seems high.  Use this calculator and plug in your actual numbers.

https://www.losttarget.com/costcal.htm

I use 3/4 oz of shot   That helps bring cost down     Shot here is $65/ bag so 0.12 per shell  if I figured right.      GW

I calculated mine at about $7.50/box for 7/8 oz loads.  Cheddite primers are $60/K at Ballistic products, or $289/5K.  If you have to buy powder and primers online, try to get both together to save on hazmat and shipping.

16 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I calculated mine at about $7.50/box for 7/8 oz loads.  Cheddite primers are $60/K at Ballistic products, or $289/5K.  If you have to buy powder and primers online, try to get both together to save on hazmat and shipping.

I think that is the biggest thing .... shipping and hazemat. This drives up the cost of reloading if you have to buy online as I have had to do for my pistol and rifle reloading. There are only a few local stores near me, and they never have primers or powder. When I drive out of town and pass a gun shop, I will stop to see what they have. Only had luck once that way with primers and they still were charging 100-120 per thousand before tax.

When the time comes, I will consider buying in larger quantities to bring the cost down. Thanks.

Remington and Winchester shotgun primers have not been available the last few years.  Cheddites have been.  Alliant publishes some shotgun loads using Cheddite primers, Extra Lite and the Claybuster wads you mentioned.  Consider those.  I recommend buying shot locally and powder and primers online.  Wait until an online merchant has the powder you choose and then place a big order for both powder and primers.  I save money reloading low recoil shotgun shells but more importantly I always have them available even when they disappear from local retailer's shelves.

Right now a lot of shotshell loadings are still scarce and they are far more expensive than before the pandemic.  Reloading components are also more expensive and often hard to find.  The one thing with reloading is you can load what you want when you want.

I still have pre-pandemic primers and powder.  My 12-ga smokeless 7/8 ounce loads are about $5.75/25 with recycled shot and $7.00/25 with virgin shot.  My 97s were made in 1908, 1914 and 1928, and I prefer to shoot my light loads.

I also load bp in 20-ga loads.

It is just another enjoyable part of The Game for me.

No one SAVES money loading (smokeless) 12 gauge, especially writing off the cost of a reloader and hulls.  Even now.  But you can make much lighter shells which are totally effective for CAS which the factory would not dream of making.   Lighter than the Low Noise Low Recoil loads.  Plus, you can arrange to always have shells to shoot, if you plan ahead, when you reload.  Two really good reasons for me.

If every thing in a hobby comes down to "can I save a buck here?" - you may never get off the couch and out to enjoy life!  I never run a calculator anymore on my shooting costs.  It takes resources, whatever I want to go do!

good luck, GJ

For me it was never about cost savings, it's the availability that gets me. I bought LNLR at Wally World for $7.87 a box (yes, that was a while ago; $10+ now) and the cheapie (relative) Winchester/Remington/Federal there as well for $20-$22 a case. Now, most of the time they are out and I'm not paying LGS or Bass or Academy prices so... I load my own. Started with a cheap Lee Load-All and moved up to a MEC. Do I save $$? maybe a little but at least I have some when I need em.

I don't reload SG to save money I reload because I can make whatever load I need. My CAS loads, Shyster's mouse fart 12ga loads, 3 gun, clays loads etc. I also buy my components in large bulk so I always have them even when the stores are out. Peace of mind. 

JEL

I'm with Eyesa Horg on this one. For cowboy right now I'm using reclaimed shot, grey claybusters, Red Dot, and cheddite primers. It's a little less than $5.00 / box. That's figuring $256 for the last jug of Red Dot I bought, Cheddites at $61 and $25 for 25 lbs reclaimed shot. 

I pick up AAs at the range = free

25 # bag of #8 shot              = $48

500 CB1138-12 wads              = $13

Primers W209                        = $65

Goex                                         = $13

$7.58/box

I know that cost will go up when I have to replace my current powder inventory... but the other components were all bought in the last year.  It'll still be a go to load my own as, besides the fact that I couldn't afford to buy BP shotshells, I can load them or smokeless, as needed.  The equipment was amortized long, long ago.  I bought the MEC in 1975 and shot skeet in a league for several seasons, usually 4 boxes a week.  

it all depends on what you already own in components - how much of it you own and your access to free components , the next part is how much you like doing it , 

i can get all the hulls i want once fired and in nearly any brand out there , i can get reclaimed lead , i have some powder and primes that would be costly to buy , i can get wads fast and cheap from ballistic products - so yes i can do it for that , and yes i do , but today i dont think most shotgun reloading pays back except when you ;load your own "special loads" you cannot buy on the open market , 

if your hulls cost you a few cents you could buy factory - just sayin , 

On 3/28/2023 at 6:02 PM, Bearfoot Tracker said:

I was thinking of getting into reloading my shotshells, but it does not seem like it was save me much money based on my calculations.

$  0.47 / Shotshell

Where am I going wrong in my calculations. Or, am I close to what it cost to reload.

You can buy primed Cheddite hulls, there is no Hazmat charge for primed hulls:  http://www.ballisticproducts.com

You can also buy shotgun shells online:  https://ammoseek.com/ammo/12-gauge  there is no Hazmat for loaded smokeless ammo.  Last I heard the cheapest retail shotgun ammo was Herter's at Cabela's for $85.00 and tax if it applies in your state.  I've ordered some shotgun ammo for $105 shipped to the door.  It's worth it to me to pay an extra $20 or so for a case then spend the time in front of a shotgun press.  (I hate reloading period, but reload because to buy factory rifle/pistol is way too expensive)

If you are going to buy powder and primers online, try and find some others and do a group buy to split up the Hazmat charges.

For me, cost was never the issue.  I went to black powder shooting Frontier Cartridge and there are absolutely no stores around here that sells black powder shotgun shells or anything black powder for that matter.

I have a young friend who reloads my black powder shotgun shells and I provide the components.  I also provide whatever he may want to load for himself, as I have bunches of all of the components.

I am happy and I hope he is still happy.

10 hours ago, Chantry said:

You can buy primed Cheddite hulls, there is no Hazmat charge for primed hulls:  http://www.ballisticproducts.com

You can also buy shotgun shells online:  https://ammoseek.com/ammo/12-gauge  there is no Hazmat for loaded smokeless ammo.  Last I heard the cheapest retail shotgun ammo was Herter's at Cabela's for $85.00 and tax if it applies in your state.  I've ordered some shotgun ammo for $105 shipped to the door.  It's worth it to me to pay an extra $20 or so for a case then spend the time in front of a shotgun press.  (I hate reloading period, but reload because to buy factory rifle/pistol is way too expensive)

If you are going to buy powder and primers online, try and find some others and do a group buy to split up the Hazmat charges.

Chantry,

I agree! If I could find the low recoil loads, I would rather buy them than reload myself. I also agree with many above that it is not as much an issue of cost but having what you need when you need it.

I started SASS during the first year of the pandemic. I had to get all my guns, leather, clothes and ammo during that time. I have never experienced low prices and endless supply of anything since starting. I envy all of you who comment about the large supply you had on hand before the pandemic started.

After reading all the comments above, investing in some reloading equipment and supplies will be my way to go here soon, and just hope I can find the powder and primers I want to get started.

I would like to begin my 12 gauge reloading with a 7/8 oz load with either Alliant Extra-Lite or Clays powder.

I would like to begin my wife's 20 gauge reloading with a 3/4 oz load and either Unique or Green Dot powder.

I have now decided to wait on buying the reloading equipment until I have all the supplies in hand. The reloading equipment is much easier to find.

Again, Thanks everyone for their input on the subject.

I reload shotgun shells because I shoot Black Powder, plus I don't care about cost, 95% of the time I have everything I need to reload shotgun shells

My Lee LoadAll paid for itself after about the first half-dozen boxes of BP shells I loaded years ago (I still dip the powder).  Went ahead and bought another when I started loading smokeless in the last year or so to keep from having to change bushings.   Didn't take too long for that one to pay for itself, either.  I shoot every weekend, but have no other family to load for so it is "fast enough" at 15 min. per box.

For me, it's not about the cost.

It's the ability to make shells the way that works best for you.

As others have said, I shoot black powder, so that's what I load for me.

And I load very light 12 smokeless shells for my wife, lighter than the Winchester Featherlights.

So, for me it's a no-brainer.

--Dawg 

Thanks everyone for your comments on my questions about cost to start reloading shotshells.

I traveled 2 hours today to pick up a case of Winchester AA Low Recoil 12 gauge I found at a small reloading shop. It was their last case. They do not publish any availability of primers or powder, and they do not ship those. I was surprised to find both primers and powder there for a decent price. I bought: 2 lbs of Alliant Extra-Light powder to use in the 12 gauge reloads $40/lb; 2 boxes of 209 primers for $65/box; 25 lb. new lead #8 shot for $50/bag; and of course wads. No Hazemat and no shipping .... just a half tank of gas. So you can reload for cheaper if you are not buying everything online and find a place that has everything.

They did not have any Unique or Green dot powder I wanted to reload my wife's 20 gauge shotshells, but they did have a powder (N340) with some older load data for 20 gauge .... so I bought a pound of that at $42/lb. The load data for the 20 gauge was from an older catalog and was as follows:

7/8 oz. load

17 gr. N340

Win 209 primer

WAA20 Wad

1187 FPS

9,700 psi pressure

Does anyone have any experience with the N340 powder reloading shotshells .... good? bad? Do you think I could test a little below those grains to get less recoil?

On 3/28/2023 at 5:02 PM, Bearfoot Tracker said:

$  0.47 / Shotshell

The only two reasons to reload shotshell in my opinion are pure luxury. 

first you have the luxury of making shotshells as you need them, as many as you need. 

secondly you have the luxury of loading a shell to your liking, with your preferred amount of recoil, your preferred amount of shot in your preferred shell…

I started shooting low recoil low noise off the shelf Win AA’s… now i reload my shells slightly lighter for monthly club shoots and learned the hard way to shoot off the shelf for big matches! Just one less variable that can go wrong.  

1 hour ago, El Catorce said:

The only two reasons to reload shotshell in my opinion are pure luxury. 

first you have the luxury of making shotshells as you need them, as many as you need. 

secondly you have the luxury of loading a shell to your liking, with your preferred amount of recoil, your preferred amount of shot in your preferred shell…

I started shooting low recoil low noise off the shelf Win AA’s… now i reload my shells slightly lighter for monthly club shoots and learned the hard way to shoot off the shelf for big matches! Just one less variable that can go wrong.  

Depends on what you shoot. Buffalo Arms sells 12ga BP for between $49-53 a box.  My cost to reload them is around $12/box.... more of a necessity than a luxury when you shoot in the neighborhood or 1.2k a cowboy season, not counting side matches. 

59 minutes ago, Wagon Box Willy said:

Depends on what you shoot. Buffalo Arms sells 12ga BP for between $49-53 a box.  My cost to reload them is around $12/box.... more of a necessity than a luxury when you shoot in the neighborhood or 1.2k a cowboy season, not counting side matches. 

Yup bp is a whole other reason 

ive revisited this thread a couple times , i had one more thought to add to my post - there is a certain amount of satisfaction in loading your own up , the experience adds to the enjoyment of the sport , even if the cost exceeds the cost of factory loads i will load my own - its not about the cost or any savings to me its all about the fun , i do have a 3/4 oz load that i cannot buy , so thats an incentive as well 

Archived