SASS Wire Forum

School Shootings

Subdeacon Joe

The local rag ran an article about the subject, subhead 

Mass school shootings kill 175 from Columbine to Nashville

A look at school shootings since 1999

My response on the FB page:

An average of 121 kids are killed every year in school bus crashes. 
For.     2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
Total 130  123  131  130

So, in that same time period almost 2800 have died in state sponsored death machines.  That's not counting kids killed in crashes of cars driven by themselves or their parents on the way to or from school.

Maybe we need to ban the school bus.

I suppose I should thank them for pointing out that there are so few deaths, even though one is one too many.

And the latest one is another that had mental health issues.  But they won't discuss that. 

BS

7 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Total 130  123  131  130

So, in that same time period almost 2800 have died in state sponsored death machines.  That's not counting kids killed in crashes of cars driven by themselves or their parents on the way to or from school.

I suppose I should thank them for pointing out that there are so few deaths, even though one is one too many.

Joe, you nailed that one right on the money.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Might be a good argument for home-schooling, too.  :P

4 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And if you drive, there are thousands of deadly weapons pointed in your direction every day. Most do not harm you but every year about 50,000 of those deadly weapons do kill or maim.

Over 4,000,000 deaths and serious injuries every year by cars.   Compare to about 150,000 deaths and injuries by firearms, including suicides.

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Joe, you nailed that one right on the money.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Might be a good argument for home-schooling, too.  :P

Thanks.  While even one unnecessary death by any means is one too many, per the numbers that the local paper ran it's under 8 per year in school shootings.

Just like Feinstein and Thompson screaming about "OHMYGAWD!!! 15,000,000 AR-15S ON THE STREETS!!!" to try to scare people.  Well, with about 400 total murders with all rifles, if we make the worst possible assumptions, that's about 0.006% of all those evil scary black rifles used to commit murder.   I posted on their social media thanking them for pointing out just how safe and responsible most AR owners are.

7 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

And the latest one is another that had mental health issues.  But they won't discuss that. 

BS

Who admittedly and specifically targeted a gun free zone. 

JEL

If schools spontaneously burst into flame lawmakers would mandate inflammable building material ready access to fire extinguishers and certified training in their use. Every school would have a fire department internally located. Not put up a sign making it a fire free zone.

But shootings? Let's put up a sign making it a gun free zone. 

Hoplophobes

11 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

BS

The libs really don't want to go down this path.  Declaring a Transvestite a mental health issue would not serve their purpose.   They have been harping on including mental health cases into the background check system.  Do they really want Tranny's included in the gun ban registry?  Next thing you know, Transvestites will be "legally" denied jobs based on having a mental health issue.  Slippery slopes.  Much better to blame the guns.

15 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

BS

Nashville shooter had purchased 7 weapons and was under doctor's care for emotional problems: police chief

Nashville shooter had purchased 7 weapons and was under doctor's care for emotional problems: police chief (msn.com)

And Here lies the issue on NICS checks why is there a box to admit you have mental issues on the 4473  box 14 Checking this box should be a instant deny 

4473.PNG

43 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Nashville shooter had purchased 7 weapons and was under doctor's care for emotional problems: police chief

Nashville shooter had purchased 7 weapons and was under doctor's care for emotional problems: police chief (msn.com)

And Here lies the issue on NICS checks why is there a box to admit you have mental issues on the 4473  box 14 Checking this box should be a instant deny 

4473.PNG

You are assuming that it answered truthfully and checked that box. 

My dumbass, over educated, liberal sister is on Farcebook today, ranting and raving about the lack of government control over guns and how easy it was for this mentally deranged person to perpetrate the mayhem we witnessed on Monday!!

Here’s the whole question and answer to the problem in one simple statement!

Why are we more than willing to place armed personnel in the lobby of a bank, but we’re unwilling to do the same for our children and our schools??

The same people who are responsible for this kind of thinking are the ones to blame for Monday’s tragedy and all of the ones like it that we have suffered!!

I don’t wish to require that teachers and other school officials and staff be armed!!  

I do wish that those who want to accept this responsibility and are willing to take the training and are found to be competent and qualified should be allowed to do so and that they should receive the support of the public and the government!!

For those schools where no one is willing to take this responsibility and the training necessary to qualify, put trained personnel in place to facilitate the protection of students and staff!

In either case, budget for the people who are there to do the job!  Teachers, administrators, police, or other staff, these people stand between your children and bad individuals!  Pay them accordingly!

As a former gun store manager for many years, I have seen people absolutely lie on 4473's firearms form.  If they didn't, why would they be denied on their background check?  Had a customer fill out his 4473 and when I questioned that his address on the form didn't match his driver license he said he had moved.  Told him I needed other information issued by city, county, state, or Fed. with current address.  Vehicle Registration, Voter ID, city water bill, property tax bill, etc.  He hands me his state issued Medical Marijuana Card.  I then ask him to read again a question he answered NO to on 4473 about about marijuana and other drugs.  He has this deer in the headlights look on his face.  Oh, he also had an AZ Concealed Weapons Permit which precludes him from a background check.  If I didn't pay attention, or he had a driver license with current address he would have walked out with a gun.

I called the AZ office that issues CWP's and asked if someone with a Medical Marijuana Card could get a CWP.  Was told "absolutely not."  Asked if there office and the Medical Marijuana Office checked with each other when someone applies for either card.  "Well, no we don't" was the reply. 

It's the dealers fault, the manufacturers fault, etc., but not the person who commits a crime with a gun's fault.   

If the gun prohibitionists really wanted to go take away guns they could simply cross reference every medical and recreational marijuana purchase against 4473’s or ccw’s and go arrest people.  There is no political will to do so as it would probably be 20-30% of the adult population.   I suspect if they did so marijuana would be legalized on a federal level quite quickly.  

With the number of people prosecuted for lying on 4473’s in the 100’s per year it’s such a a farce that it shows that it’s all about registration, not actually doing anything useful or good. 

On 3/28/2023 at 3:32 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Total 130  123  131  130

amen to your final sentiment and may God bless them and their families , but also thank you for putting perspective to a much greater threat than some crazy [and yes its always a crazy shooter ] 

13 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Why are we more than willing to place armed personnel in the lobby of a bank, but we’re unwilling to do the same for our children and our schools??

For the same reason some people are willing to pay car mechanics more than they pay teachers.

Archived