SASS Wire Forum

Got a customer MAD yesterday

DeaconKC

I work part-time in a nice gun store here in Arkansas. We carry a nice selection of CAS guns too. Yesterday a couple walked in to look around. They were nice folks, looked to be in their 40s and the gent asked to see a New Uberti .45. Cool, I bring it out, show him how to see if it's unloaded, hand it to him. He admires the gun and then starts to do a spin with it! I just tell him [quietly] "Please don't do that." He gives me a dirty look, hands me the gun and tells the lady with him "C'mon, let's go." and they leave the store. I walk over and tell the owner what just happened, and he was fine with it. We don't allow flicking revolver cylinders shut or flipping old shotguns closed either. Anyway, just WHY do people want to do stuff like that with property that doesn't belong to them?

11 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I work part-time in a nice gun store here in Arkansas. We carry a nice selection of CAS guns too. Yesterday a couple walked in to look around. They were nice folks, looked to be in their 40s and the gent asked to see a New Uberti .45. Cool, I bring it out, show him how to see if it's unloaded, hand it to him. He admires the gun and then starts to do a spin with it! I just tell him [quietly] "Please don't do that." He gives me a dirty look, hands me the gun and tells the lady with him "C'mon, let's go." and they leave the store. I walk over and tell the owner what just happened, and he was fine with it. We don't allow flicking revolver cylinders shut or flipping old shotguns closed either. Anyway, just WHY do people want to do stuff like that with property that doesn't belong to them?

Because they are ignorant when it comes to the mechanics of firearms care and operation. Then again, some people are just idiots.

"It's done in the movies/tv shows and by social media idiots...why can't I do it." 

My answer would be "You can do whatever you want with it...when you buy it, after that the manufacture's warrantee takes over."

Then there is the nimwit who flips open the gate, pulls the hammer just enough to drop the bolt , and commences to roll the cylinder down his arm just like they do in all the cowboy westerns.  I told him if that was exactly the reason I kept my Colts in a locked display case.....among other choice words.  A pox on these idiots.

Ever see a customer try the Teminator spin on an '87? Or a Cogburn cock on a levergun? That will raise an eyebrow. 

And blood pressure.

14 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Ever see a customer try the Teminator spin on an '87? Or a Cogburn cock on a levergun? That will raise an eyebrow. 

And blood pressure.

Yes , and I’ve also seen them do the one handed slam the cylinder closed on a da revolver then proceed to point it at people 

I hate when they open the cylinder on a DA revolver and then snap it shut?:angry:

42 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I hate when they open the cylinder on a DA revolver and then snap it shut?:angry:

The only time I’m good with abusing a revolver like that is if someone is trying to kill you and you need the quickest reload possible.

Its even worse when they spin the cylinder then do it 

ALWAYS impressed at the unloading table when some one unloads, then spins the cylinder as hard & fast as they can and snaps the hammer back.  Then they want to know if I still do action jobs :(

4 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Then there is the nimwit who flips open the gate, pulls the hammer just enough to drop the bolt , and commences to roll the cylinder down his arm just like they do in all the cowboy westerns.  I told him if that was exactly the reason I kept my Colts in a locked display case.....among other choice words.  A pox on these idiots.

I was in a large " box store" sporting goods chain store and asked to see a single action revolver that was on display. The twenty-something sales clerk proceded to perform the same action that Sam described above while pointing the muzzle directly at me.

I redirected his aim elsewhere while giving him my ( I  hope ) my dirtiest look. I then walked away with no comment.

Maybe he caught the gist.

Choctaw

I have seen some special people in gun stores and at gun shows.

Pulling triggers on antique guns. 
Spinning cylinders then slapping the cylinder closed. 
Practicing disassembly procedures on guns they haven’t bought. 
Waving guns around pretending to shoot people.

Pointing lasers at people to startle them. 

Racking slides and dry firing numerous times quickly like they think it’s cool or something. 
I saw one guy, while looking at a fairly expensive over under shotgun, put the muzzle of the barrels on the floor and lean on the shotgun like he was Fred Astaire dancing in the rain while asking to see another shotgun. The clerk said “No, and hand me that gun back.” What a maroon!

Had a police officer trying to trade in a Glock 17 drop the magazine to show me no rounds in mag and then point muzzle at me.  Pushed muzzle away and asked him to hand me the gun out of his hand.  Pointed gun at wall and racked the slide and out came a 9mm round.  

Told him it just cost him $200 on his trade in. 

"You Can't Fix Stupid." 

We have a large jar on top of our cash register about 1/2 full of cartridges taken from "Empty" guns brought into the shop.

That was NOT a gun buyer.

Just a poser.

YouTube College of Firearm Videos graduate.

Could not tell you where the closest range is from his house.

You sure he wasn't with his mom?

6 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Yes , and I’ve also seen them do the one handed slam the cylinder closed on a da revolver then proceed to point it at people 

Had a wannabe do that to me in the shop I worked at back in the '90's. 

He asked to see a airweight J frame Smith, I pullee it from the case, opened it and hand it to him butt first.  He flicked it shut with a wrist snap, shoved it in my face and started pulling the trigger, so I got it pointed away from me and took it from him  by snatching him half way over the counter and twisting the gun in his hand.

The manager came over when he saw his feet leave the floor and the little tool had the gall to complain to him!

Said I almost broke his trigger finger taking the gun out of his hand.:rolleyes:

Mark told him that he was lucky that I was of a gentle nature (:lol:) because he would had made sure to have broken at least his finger and probably his wrist and nose- and then kicked him out and banned him from the store.

2 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Had a police officer trying to trade in a Glock 17 drop the magazine to show me no rounds in mag and then point muzzle at me.  Pushed muzzle away and asked him to hand me the gun out of his hand.  Pointed gun at wall and racked the slide and out came a 9mm round.  

Told him it just cost him $200 on his trade in. 

"You Can't Fix Stupid." 

Please tell me this wasn't a Prescott officer.

Earlier this month at the Central Oregon Sportsman Show, the local gun range, COSSA, rented booth space to promote the shooting sports.  Our SASS club was at the booth as one of the shooting disciplines.  We dressed up and displayed our cowboy gear. We displayed a lot of western guns to show what we used as well as some interesting antiques.  All types of people would come to the table interested in what we do and what we used in our game.  
All the above that was said about how people handled firearms happened and more.  Some asked to touch, most just reached out and grab something and proceed to tell, explain, educate us about what they had in their hand.  It was very obvious the lack of training and respect people have for others property.  We were very polite and answered questions about firearms and our game.  We had a good time and hopefully some new SASS and club members.

PATIENCE and EDUCATION is the only way firearms and the CAS game will be understood.

I cannot be polite to the Stupid or the Uncouth. It’s not in my nature and therefore a job dealing directly with the public is not the job for me. 

8 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

We have a large jar on top of our cash register about 1/2 full of cartridges taken from "Empty" guns brought into the shop.

I have seen this type of jar at a few gun stores. The one that got me was the jar at a store in either Nevada, Oregon or Washington that had a 50 BMG round in it. I thought it was a joke. I was assured it wasn’t. This was years ago on an extended vacation with a friend. I cannot recall the store. 
A store in Huntington Beach, CA had a drawer with “empty gun” cartridges. I told them they should display’ em. They said “No” They figured it might violate some law. :blink:

One of the reasons I no longer manage a gun store.  I had an idjit dry fire an AR-15 lower without an upper in place, which can damage the frame.  I advised him to not do it again, and childishly, he immediately did while watching me.  I took it away from him, and told him I wasn't selling him anything.  A day or two later, he talked to the owner, who told me it wasn't a big deal, and to just get over it.  That and a couple of other micro managing issues ended that career.  

When I worked part time at my local gun shop/range I had a customer hand me a Remington 870 and asked if I could see if it had a slug barrel. He gave it to me action closed. The first thing I did was point it in a safe direction and racked the slide. A round came out!!! I racked it again and again and 3 more rounds came out. I picked up the rounds put them and the shotgun on the counter and said, "Get out and don't ever come back"!! He was shocked and looked angry! The manager came over and looked at the guy and said, "Did you hear what he said? GET OUT NOW! Gun shops can be a dangerous place!:o

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Geez @Pat Riot, SASS #13748, I thought everyone knew it was Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain!

I saw Fred dance with a  broom. I think it was Royal Wedding. And he danced with Ginger in the rain. I believe that was The Gay Divorcee.

Don't recall him dancing with an inanimate object in the rain, though.

Archived