SASS Wire Forum

Tiewad Powder for Pistols - 38 special

Yohan

Hey guys, My wife 'Sapphire Rose' and I have been doing this cowboy shooting for just over 2 years now and all this time of my reloading I have used Red Dot for our Pistol and Rifle Reloads and Tight Group for our Shot shells. As everyone knows POWDERS are iffy so we have all come up with different replacement loads. I have search here on the forum but have not found any recipes for Titewad powder used in 38 special loads. Does anyone load pistols with Titewad powder specifically. I know tight group is a good replacement for my pistol powder  but I am not interested in using my Tightgroup for pistol as it is way more dense than either Titewad or my current Red Dot. So does anyone have a recipe for pistols and Titewad. 

Thanks

Yohan 

Titewad works great in shotgun. Probably be better to do a 180 and use titegroup in your pistols/rifle and the titewad in shotgun. That's what I currently use.

3.0gr titegroup in 38 special. 12.7gr titewad in 12ga AA 7/8 oz CB0178 wad.

I just checked the Hodgdon’s paper reloading manual and they show absolutely no pistol data using Titewad. Since there are now powders available I think I would use one with published data.

Randy 

Just to backup what has been said---Titewad is a shotgun powder, and Titegroup is a rifle/pistol powder. You will find recipes for both online in the appropiate category.

3 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I looked in Hodgdon’s online reload data and they don’t show info for it?

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=53

Randy

I know so did I :-) I am going by the Burn rate and the fact it is a flake powder similar to the Red Dot I burn now and I be running out of that :-)

2 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

Titewad works great in shotgun. Probably be better to do a 180 and use titegroup in your pistols/rifle and the titewad in shotgun. That's what I currently use.

3.0gr titegroup in 38 special. 12.7gr titewad in 12ga AA 7/8 oz CB0178 wad.

I thought about that too and nice recipe for me to uh borrow yeah that's it :-) but in reality I have a lot more Tightgroup than all my other powders combines that is why I developed a recipe for it in my shotgun. the flake powder like Red dot and Titewad fill the 38 case better which in turn gives me less pressure and lower recoil especially when Sapphire rose is shooting too. and the same occurs with the Tightgroup in my shotgun loads They are around 920-950 fps 7/8th oz using the CB0178-12 wad and 13 grains powder. I tried Tightgroup in a few pistol loads and it worked fine I just like the more filled case the flake powder gives me in the pistol since light loads anyway. If it comes down to it I will do exactly what your load said :-) Thank You!

4 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I thought about that too and nice recipe for me to uh borrow yeah that's it :-) but in reality I have a lot more Tightgroup than all my other powders combines that is why I developed a recipe for it in my shotgun. the flake powder like Red dot and Titewad fill the 38 case better which in turn gives me less pressure and lower recoil especially when Sapphire rose is shooting too. and the same occurs with the Tightgroup in my shotgun loads They are around 920-950 fps 7/8th oz using the CB0178-12 wad and 13 grains powder. I tried Tightgroup in a few pistol loads and it worked fine I just like the more filled case the flake powder gives me in the pistol since light loads anyway. If it comes down to it I will do exactly what your load said :-) Thank You!

I don't actually shoot 38s, I just reload them for my wife (May B Knott) she doesn't complain at all about recoil. Then again she shoots 45acp 1911s in Wild Bunch soooo there is that. I think the 3.0gr titegroup 125gr bullets is a pretty moderate load. It could be a little lighter, but it never fails to knock down the KD targets. I reload on a dillon 650 and always use a powder check die. Am confident I won't have a double charge with that setup. If titegroup is working in shotgun for you, just switch your pistol cal to that and forget about titewad. Without any published data, you would be (pun intended) shooting in the dark on where to start. If you need to get rid of some excess titewad, let me know :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Yohan said:

the fact it is a flake powder similar to the Red Dot

Bold emphasis added.

Nope.  Titewad is a flattened ball powder, made very differently compared to RD and not that similar to Red Dot except where someone placed it on the burn rate chart.  Those rate charts DO NOT tell you how applicable a given powder is to any type of usage.  I kinda have a hunch the manufacturer (owner) of the powder brand is one of the best experts around on their own powder, and they don't suggest a load in handguns for Titewad.

Lots of good uses for Titewad in shotgun.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Yohan said:

I know so did I :-) I am going by the Burn rate and the fact it is a flake powder similar to the Red Dot I burn now and I be running out of that :-)

It’s just me but if the manufacturer or supplier doesn’t publish pistol data On a powder I think I’ll find one they do, there are plenty of good pistol powders available now.

Randy 

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

@Yohan @Scarlett is a dealer for Shooters World powders. She should be able to set you up with an acceptable replacement.  I know she'll be vending again at Wartrace in addition to several other matches. 

@yohan - if you’re needing PISTOL and RIFLE powder, I have plenty of Ultimate Pistol (ShootersWorld). I can tell you about it at the SC match. Clean Shot is coming! June/July. It can load all three - but since you’re happy with your SG load… 

Hugs! Look forward to seeing y’all!

Scarlett

I guess I an missing something.  Titegroup is a very good pistol powder.  Titewad is a very good shotgun powder.  I do not understand why the OP wants to reverse them.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I guess I an missing something.  Titegroup is a very good pistol powder.  Titewad is a very good shotgun powder.  I do not understand why the OP wants to reverse them.

He's just being contrary.  He'll come around in a few days.

11 hours ago, Scarlett said:

@yohan - if you’re needing PISTOL and RIFLE powder, I have plenty of Ultimate Pistol (ShootersWorld). I can tell you about it at the SC match. Clean Shot is coming! June/July. It can load all three - but since you’re happy with your SG load… 

Scarlett

Currently using Clean Shot and like it very much!   SB

15 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Scarlett

@Scarlett will you be at Alabama State this year?

6 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

@Scarlett will you be at Alabama State this year?

No. My schedule is on my website - unable to paste it here for some reason. www.bulletsbyscarlett.com

hugs!

Scarlett

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

No. My schedule is on my website - unable to paste it here for some reason. www.bulletsbyscarlett.com

hugs!

Scarlett

:(

On 3/28/2023 at 7:12 PM, Scarlett said:

Scarlett

I'll see you at South Carolina for sure I might have to get 2 hugs :-) I have 5 pounds of Clean Shot I actually did a couple of stages at Wartrace last year in Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun but unsure why it a appeared to not burn cleanly mind you I was running 3.2 grains in Rifle and Pistol and 13 grains in shotshell CB-1178-12 wad and 7/8oz #7 1/2 or #8 shot. I based those loads on what the comparison appeared to be with both my Red Dot and Tite group powders

but hey I am always will to learn. Old Dog can learn a new trick woof woof :-)

17 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I'll see you at South Carolina for sure I might have to get 2 hugs :-) I have 5 pounds of Clean Shot I actually did a couple of stages at Wartrace last year in Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun but unsure why it a appeared to not burn cleanly mind you I was running 3.2 grains in Rifle and Pistol and 13 grains in shotshell CB-1178-12 wad and 7/8oz #7 1/2 or #8 shot. I based those loads on what the comparison appeared to be with both my Red Dot and Tite group powders

but hey I am always will to learn. Old Dog can learn a new trick woof woof :-)

I use a little more in the pistol/rifle. 3.6 gr and the shotshell needs to be hotter, too. I have that data on my website as well under the Powder tab. There’s a Clean shot cowboy data page. That’s what cowboys gave us before we had any data. Clean Shot Cowboy Shared Data.pdf

Hugs!

Scarlett

On 3/28/2023 at 10:17 AM, Yohan said:

Hey guys, My wife 'Sapphire Rose' and I have been doing this cowboy shooting for just over 2 years now and all this time of my reloading I have used Red Dot for our Pistol and Rifle Reloads and Tight Group for our Shot shells. As everyone knows POWDERS are iffy so we have all come up with different replacement loads. I have search here on the forum but have not found any recipes for Titewad powder used in 38 special loads. Does anyone load pistols with Titewad powder specifically. I know tight group is a good replacement for my pistol powder  but I am not interested in using my Tightgroup for pistol as it is way more dense than either Titewad or my current Red Dot. So does anyone have a recipe for pistols and Titewad. 

Thanks

Yohan 

I've been using TiteGroup for pistol and rifle for quite a few years. .44-40 for a few years and now for .38's. A friend of mine turned me on to it when he was using it for .45 Colt. I don't see any problem with TiteGroup. As far as being more dense I don't even know how to answer that! All I know is it works just fine!

Archived