SASS Wire Forum

1911s anyone?

DeaconKC

Had a couple of 1911 and/or goodies show up this week. First found a 1918 stamped holster here for my WW1, 1917 built Colt 1911. Then today brought an ATI 1911 Commander home. 1911s seem to multiply around here.

ww1 1911.jpeg

ATI Commander.jpg

very nice - both , but im quite taken with your WWI setup , 

i love them , i have a bunch including a 1918 colt black army with original issue holster and belt , pouches , and extra mags , 

Deacon,  you know how to draw a crowd.

I have EIGHT 1911's in various calibers.

3 in 10mm:  5" Springfield RONAN,  6" Springfield TRP, and also a 6" Iver Johnson Eagle XL

2 in .45 ACP:  5" BUL,  5" Magnum Research.  

3 in .460 Rowland:  5" Kimber Classic,  5" Kimber Raptor, and a 6" Rock Island Armory.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Deacon,  you know how to draw a crowd.

I have EIGHT 1911's in various calibers.

3 in 10mm:  5" Springfield RONAN,  6" Springfield TRP, and also a 6" Iver Johnson Eagle XL

2 in .45 ACP:  5" BUL,  5" Magnum Research.  

3 in .460 Rowland:  5" Kimber Classic,  5" Kimber Raptor, and a 6" Rock Island Armory.

..........Widder

......... that's just greeeeeedy .......  :unsure:

I'm currently at 19. 

I'm shooting a Springfield Armory Loaded 9mm in the NRA Firearms Instructor School this week.  I'm the only one there not shooting polymer, or a double stack magazine.  

Humorously, the instructor asked if I could bring in a duty style revolver today, because some of my classmates indicated they had never handled one.  So I'm taking a Model 15 Smith and Wesson, and a Colt Official Police.  

2 hours ago, WOLFY said:

I wanted a WW1 type 1911, but couldn’t justify buying the real mccoy.   So, I got a Cimarron.

0F1DD8A8-7A52-41F6-88BC-2410D7BEA824.jpeg

Love the rollmark on your 1911. 

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Very recently bought a new Ruger SR1911.

If I were to buy another 1911, I am pretty sure that’s the one I would buy. 

I really hate this merge thing…

I'm down to one 1911. :(

And it never gets any WB attention. :(:(

Too many revolvers to hoard, I guess. :D

8 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I'm down to one 1911. :(

And it never gets any WB attention. :(:(

Too many revolvers to hoard, I guess. :D

If you want a lot of talk and info on the 1911, there are several fora dedicated to just that.  I visit several.

I've had a couple of Norinco models but passed them on once I found my Kimber!

.45 acp Kimber Target Model II 019 (1).JPG

Most of my 1911s are in 45ACP, but I did build a custom Super 38 a few years ago.

I've got a hand me down Remington Rand that survived the Battle of the Bulge (an uncle I never met), a Colt New Agent, and a Ruger SR1911. The Ruger cost me $20 of raffle tickets.  One of my few great wins.

BS

Really, it's not how many you managed to buy but it's how many you have worn out.

I have owned a dozen or so, especially when I shot IPSC and Bullseye matches.  I fondled a 3-digit serial # once.  Down to my S&W Doug Koenig for now, but keep my eyes open for a good alum-frame 4" 1911 in .45 ACP.

20190526_205805.jpg

Did I mention I HATE full length guide rods?

Well went out to the garage and got my box of 1911 stuff. Found some real purty grips, so put them on.

ATI grips.jpg

Nice grips, Deacon.

But I must admit that ALL my 1911's use the same grips..... Pachmayr rubber wrap around.  There's nothing special or

pretty about them except all of them feel the same in my hand.

I must admit the rubber wrap around grip kinda softens the feel of recoil with the 10mm and .460 Rowland rounds.

I reload all of them..... so there is no 'watered down' factory stuff that I shoot in them.

..........Widder

I had six, then Palmetto had a ten day Black Friday sale in November with their Taylors/Armscor 1911A1 FS marked down to $299, so now I'm at seven. :)

When I got my first one some 50 years ago, the old WWII vets said they had to learn to take one down and clean it in the dark. Sounded like good advice, so I sat in bed at night with the lights out till I could do that quickly with no trouble. Some time later a guy invited me over to see his new gun. It was a 1911, he handed it to me and went to the kitchen for beers. Soon as he left the room I pulled it apart and had all the pieces laying on his coffee table, he grabs 2 beers comes back couldn't have been more that a minute, his gun is all over I'm holding the frame with my best "holy crap" face "I don't know what happened I was just holding it and it fell apart". His face was priceless.

I love the "holy crap" , "I don't know what happened I was just holding it and it fell apart". :D

How about the first time you launched a recoil plug across the room?

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

When I got my first one some 50 years ago, the old WWII vets said they had to learn to take one down and clean it in the dark. Sounded like good advice, so I sat in bed at night with the lights out till I could do that quickly with no trouble. Some time later a guy invited me over to see his new gun. It was a 1911, he handed it to me and went to the kitchen for beers. Soon as he left the room I pulled it apart and had all the pieces laying on his coffee table, he grabs 2 beers comes back couldn't have been more that a minute, his gun is all over I'm holding the frame with my best "holy crap" face "I don't know what happened I was just holding it and it fell apart". His face was priceless.

I was Company Police Sgt as my last assignment just before I left the Infantry to move to the Air Wing. Our Dragons platoon had just received an Assistant Platoon Commander, a bright shiny new 2nd. Lt. LITERALLY just out of OCS. 

Dragons Platoon had just returned from the field, and Lt. Nelson, (I nicknamed him "Baby Face Nelson" because he looked to be about 16) came to me in the Company Office to get some cleaning gear for his 1911. However, he didn't know how to strip it, and since I was known as the Company Gun Guy, he asked for my help. So I stripped it for him. All the way. Which nobody except an Armorer is supposed to do. 

He sat there kind of wide eyed for a minute, but then dutifully started to clean each piece of his weapon. 

When he was about done, his Platoon Commander walked in, and upon seeing the detail stripped weapon on the desk, immediately started yelling at ME to get that ********* reassembled before the C.O. saw it. I tried to "shush" him, because, by the way, the C.O. was holding Office Hours for a couple other Marines right there in his office just on the other side of where we sat. He got all red in the face and said, "Just get in back together!"  "Yes Sir." "Now!" "Yes Sir." 

During this whole exchange, Nelson just sat there cleaning parts, carefully NOT looking at his Platoon Leader. 

I reassembled the pistol, and apologised to Nelson in case he got in trouble. He said not to worry about it, he's learned something that day.

Archived