SASS Wire Forum

Picked One: Non-SASS: Optics for Ruger 10/22 Tactical

John Kloehr

I won a Ruger 10/22 Tactical rifle at the Friends of the NRA dinner this weekend. It has no optics, and no dovetails for iron sights, so needing optics.

Primary purpose for this gun is varmint control on my property, Groundhogs and skunks.  50 yards to the barn, About 100 yards to the property line.

Secondary use would be steel challenge -- if, and only if -- the rifle can serve both purposes.

I do have a couple red dots I am looking at (one has a 3x magnifier) and a couple of scopes. But I have no practical knowledge of either kind of optics, just learned about MOA. Really, I am an optics idiot.

Figure some of you have a better handle on varmint guns than I do, also welcome input on such items as the ammo for a varmint application (stingers?). I run CCI FMJ mini-mags for steel challenge in my other 10/22 iron sight rifle.

I'll happily post what products I am looking at, but first would like to hear opinions on my ideas.

I would be interested in the replies as well. I have an older 10-22 carbine that was scheduled to be my project gun but fell by the wayside. Thinking it might make a decent 50 yard skunk gun. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

There's a scope made specifically for 10/22's. The elevation turrent has 3 settings for 3 different type of loads.factory.

It has settings for 25/50/75 yards etc. It's around $125.

BSA 3-9X40 Sweet 22 Rifle Scope with Side Parallax Adjustment and Multi-Grain Turret

We shoot silhouette out to 200 yards with this scope.

14 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

I would be interested in the replies as well. I have an older 10-22 carbine that was scheduled to be my project gun but fell by the wayside. Thinking it might make a decent 50 yard skunk gun. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

Feel free to participate in this discussion.

My first thoughts, because of your need to control E. Tennessee 'varmints'.  (groundhogs, crow, possible daytime skunk, etc.....),

you'll need some magnification with those small critters at 50 and 100 yards.

My first choice would be to consider a nice 'variable' scope of maybe 3-9 power.   There are some good 2-7 power scopes available,

but the 3-9 variable scopes are popular for many reasons.......... shooting at small and distant targets.

Popular name brands:   Nikon, Leupold, Burris, Athlon, Vortex, and a few others I can't think of right now.  

P.S. - SOME OF THESE SCOPES CARRY A PRICE STICKER SHOCK.   :o

A good place to check out scopes is Bill's Outpost in Midland Shopping Center, Alcoa and also Smoky Mtn. Guns on

Ashville Hwy, East Knoxville.

Good luck.

..........Widder

We sell a lot of the Leupold 2x7 rimfire scopes at the gunshop I work at. They are almost $300, but the folks love them on their rifles.

Howdy

2 to7 redfield gives a nice bright sight picture.

Take a look at the tactical reticle.

Not too bad pricewise.

I need to dust mine off and get out out out.

Best

CR

On 3/27/2023 at 7:14 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

There's a scope made specifically for 10/22's. The elevation turrent has 3 settings for 3 different type of loads.factory.

It has settings for 25/50/75 yards etc. It's around $125.

BSA 3-9X40 Sweet 22 Rifle Scope with Side Parallax Adjustment and Multi-Grain Turret

We shoot silhouette out to 200 yards with this scope.

Just read the manual:

https://bsaoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Sweet_22_SP_Scope_Operation_Manual_000000-000.pdf

Learned a lot.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:20 PM, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I think I may have the same gun, if I decide to keep it I'll get something like this;

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-microdot-with-removable-base-gen-2

Interesting, a red dot, and a separate magnifier. Cheap too, but then add mounts... starts to add up. Easily double the dedicated optical scope above, but might serve dual purposes.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:43 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

A good place to check out scopes is Bill's Outpost in Midland Shopping Center, Alcoa and also Smoky Mtn. Guns on

Ashville Hwy, East Knoxville.

I know them both well, also Bud's.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:50 PM, DeaconKC said:

We sell a lot of the Leupold 2x7 rimfire scopes at the gunshop I work at. They are almost $300, but the folks love them on their rifles.

One guideline I found considers optics budget equal the base cost of a gun, another guideline suggests no more than that This gun has a $400 base.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:14 AM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Vortex as a brand looks interesting, it can get pricy but this example is certainly affordable. Still ned scope rings.

From this input and a bit of verification, it seems a 3X optic makes sense for 100 yards, and I am seeing 1/4 to 4 (max) MOA as being practical.

I'll post up a setup I am looking at, it is even pricier, and I will need to make some measurements to see if the LOP works with the mounting space and eye relief. Learning a lot with this gun.

Really only waiting to post to make sure the forum software does not merge the two posts.

I am looking at this combo:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BX9TN8Q4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

2 MOA red dot, with a 3x flip-away magnifier.

I need to do some measuring to see if it will fit, check eye relief and such, but seems like it should be excellent to 50 and even 100 yards.

But pricy, approaching $400 for the full setup.

I'll look again at options tomorrow, having trouble with the price since I can get better accuracy for varmints at about 1/2 the cost. But not steel Challenge.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:43 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

My first choice would be to consider a nice 'variable' scope of maybe 3-9 power.   There are some good 2-7 power scopes available,

but the 3-9 variable scopes are popular for many reasons.......... shooting at small and distant targets.

Popular name brands:   Nikon, Leupold, Burris, Athlon, Vortex, and a few others I can't think of right now.  

Nikon made excellent scopes in the past but they are out of the scope business.  It was a small part of their empire and the Japanese corporate officers didn't want to be involved in the "blood sports".  

3 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I would not use a magnifier, that will add  extra weight. A scope would probably be lighter then that combo.

I'll look at weights.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Nikon made excellent scopes in the past but they are out of the scope business.  It was a small part of their empire and the Japanese corporate officers didn't want to be involved in the "blood sports".  

I figured that part was a PR excuse.  Nikon had wildlife picture groups protest against scopes for years without success.  Increased competition driving market prices down slimmed Nikon's profit so it was time to cut losses.

There are many Nikons on the secondary market.  They were still honoring the warranty by sending you a gift certificate good for other Nikon products.

Red Dots are usually used for speed, Scopes for accuracy, neither will do both things well. I would say to pick one and do your research.It would probably be cheaper to buy another dedicated rifle in the long run.

2 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

What about a moderately priced under barrel mounted flashlight.  Any recommendations to go along with that scope.

Surefire, Streamlight or Nebo. If you find a good used aluminum Surefire, grab it.

• John Kloehr changed the title to Picked One: Non-SASS: Optics for Ruger 10/22 Tactical

Made a choice, thanks for all the input!

Key elements from your advice:

• Minimum 3 power
  • Give up on Red Dots if I want a varmint gun
  • Don't spend too much, but easy to do so

My lady and I got sick of preparing our taxes and it was a wonderful day, So I got PAKIN out of the garage:

70308761154__86546DFC-0FF1-42AF-9046-7FC728DC54FE.thumb.jpeg.a68cb59bca645e0cde34e85250c8b00c.jpeg

And I took @Widder, SASS #59054's advice, we headed over to Bill's Outpost in Maryville. Bill's will be moving in a couple of months, so they have been clearing out a lot of older stick. The store is now much more organized and it was fun going through the shelves. The staff there is very helpful, and more than that, they admit when they do not know for sure. I do like the shop.

I'll be looking for the grand re-opening at the new location on Broadway near the Food City.

Anyway, this came home with me:

IMG_0853.thumb.jpeg.a8927af8ac1b4d05bf4e949b48405969.jpeg

Not sure "Useless" approves (Hope my lady never sees I wrote that) :ph34r::

IMG_0855.thumb.jpeg.fed235f83b9dd39e5a49fb4159d5aaf5.jpeg

Will mount it on the rifle in the morning after finishing tax returns and then go to Bud's to sight it in to 25 yards. Tomorrow is a rainy day so will probably drive one of the trucks. Later on I'll get my zero at 50  yards (distance to the barn).

Thanks all for chiming in, I'll let you know how it goes as I get it dialed in, and if cheaping out was a good move.

Went to mount the scope, got the four filler screws out of the top of the rifle; It was painted after the screws were installed.

Got past that hurdle and installed the optic mounting plate. The screws interfere with the bolt, will need to file them and try again.

That is probably all the progress for another week.

Howdy John.

Are you using the base mount that usually comes with the 10/22, along with the proper screws?

If you are, there shouldn't be any mounting interference........ but I guess anything is possible.

Hate to hear about this issue.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy John.

Are you using the base mount that usually comes with the 10/22, along with the proper screws?

If you are, there shouldn't be any mounting interference........ but I guess anything is possible.

Hate to hear about this issue.

..........Widder

Base mount and screws came with the rifle. Instructions for installation of the mount specifically require checking for interference. Strange that Ruger chose to update the manual rather than include shorter screws...

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Is that the one that comes with rings? I have one, good scope but could not sight it in with the enclosed rings, junk, got new rings works great.

It does come with the rings, I'm not sure how tight I can get the small knurled screws.

The scope is well rated, but I have to admit the packaging calling out it is a .22 scope and also showing a deer head on the same box does suggest at least the marketing department has limited firearms experience.

When I deal with the screws, I will also look closer at the coating applied to the rifle receiver. Since it was applied over the original filler screws, there are some ridges which might keep the base mount from sitting flat. This could affect scope alignment.

5 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

It does come with the rings, I'm not sure how tight I can get the small knurled screws.

The scope is well rated, but I have to admit the packaging calling out it is a .22 scope and also showing a deer head on the same box does suggest at least the marketing department has limited firearms experience.

When I deal with the screws, I will also look closer at the coating applied to the rifle receiver. Since it was applied over the original filler screws, there are some ridges which might keep the base mount from sitting flat. This could affect scope alignment.

Simmons is a budget line.  They use a common box then change the words for each model.

B09DD8C4-78A3-4C73-8548-0B5AC5A64EC6.jpeg

10 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Simmons is a budget line.  They use a common box then change the words for each model.

Point taken. I do hope my cheaping out over about $30 compared to the recommendations earlier in this thread does not turn into a regret. I'll test with targets at barn+ distances before I actually go for a critter; They may be varmints but I still want clean kills, no need for unnecessary suffering.

1 minute ago, John Kloehr said:

Point taken. I do hope my cheaping out over about $30 compared to the recommendations earlier in this thread does not turn into a regret. I'll test with targets at barn+ distances before I actually go for a critter; They may be varmints but I still want clean kills, no need for unnecessary suffering.

I think you'll be happy.  Simmons was my go to budget scope.  Sales for $25 were common pre-Biden. They work well as a set and forget scope from a rest or being carried.   The constant vibration of a tractor or ATV can kill them.

Archived