SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Ammo

Dcbonecrusher

Additional suppliers:

Choice Ammunition

Bang and Clang

We the People Munitions (on Facebook)

Save your brass.  You may be asking us about reloading soon.   Your wife will appreciate Winchester low noise, low recoil AA shotgun shells if you buy them for her.

Another trusted vendor is Georgia Arms.  They sell cowboy loads and other ammo.  I ordered some .38 Special ammo from them to use at a new shooter clinic.  I’ve found it to be good quality.

Once Scarlett got her Cowboy Cartridges back on the market that is what I have recommended. 

2 minutes ago, Dcbonecrusher said:

Thanks everyone.   My dad reloaded, so I've got tons of brass, all the dies, all the bullets and primers.  I'll need powder and knowledge at some point.

Buy a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook and teach yourself.  Did your dad leave you any pistol or shotgun powder?  If so, you may have what you need.  (I trust you know CAS requires all-lead bullets.)

52 minutes ago, Dcbonecrusher said:

Thanks everyone.   My dad reloaded, so I've got tons of brass, all the dies, all the bullets and primers.  I'll need powder and knowledge at some point.

Look for Unique or WW231/HP38. 

48 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Buy a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook and teach yourself.  Did your dad leave you any pistol or shotgun powder?  If so, you may have what you need.  (I trust you know CAS requires all-lead bullets.)

I may have that book as well as powder.  All in totes.  Now that I'm getting into it I'll get more into it

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look for Unique or WW231/HP38. 

Thanks 

I’m very happy with Clays if you have any of it, right now you can’t find it because production has stopped.  Clay Dot also works but for .38 special I have increase my powder charge by .2

There are several other powders that will work fine. Hodgdon’s online reloading data is a good resource and they sell several brands of powder.

Randy 

Just now, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I’m very happy with Clays if you have any of it, right now you can’t find it because production has stopped.  Clay Dot also works but for .38 special I have increase my powder charge by .2

There are several other powders that will work fine. Hodgdon’s online reloading data is a good resource and they sell several brands of powder.

Randy 

Awesome Randy, thank you.

Think I can take over the grandkid's room for reloading?

Welcome to the sport and the forum. Great bunch here.

2 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Welcome to the sport and the forum. Great bunch here.

Thanks Deacon.    Im looking forward to it

8 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy 

12 hours ago, Dcbonecrusher said:

You don’t have to have a lot of room, some have a really clean and organized area, me no so much so.

Randy 

image.jpeg.91fcf8d2c4d90b68c1cf86bcf7372599.jpeg

My reloading room looks a lot like Randy St. Eagle's, but I'm hardly ever there, so now I have a small setup in a nearby brother's garage, a Dillon 550 mounted on a B&D Workmate.   Minimal footprint.

There are a number of powders that are suitable for CAS.  Some are very difficult or impossible to find right now, some are easier.  Titegroup and HP-238 (same as W-231) and VV N-320 are currently easy to find. Some Shooter's World powders as well, though I'm less familiar with them.

Red Dot, American Select, Clays, Clay-Dot, Unique, 700X, Bullseye, WST to name a few are popular if you run across any.

And of course, Black Powder and BP substitutes are available if you can handle that much fun. :D

Primers were scarce in the recent past, plenty available now just very pricey.  

Good luck and wecome aboard!

10 hours ago, Dcbonecrusher said:

No need, you just need to convince him to reload for you. If necessary, reward him with a penny a round.

He will use his own room.

Welcome aboard.  Reloading is the way to go for this game, but starting out loaded ammo is easier unless one has experience in making their own.  When starting out, I have suggested to folks that a single stage press is the best way to go if one does not have any experience in reloading.  A single stage press allows you to  familiarize yourself with each step of the process.  Most folks use a progressive press for volume reloading, especially if one reloads for two, but if you have access to a single stage press, it's best to start there.  Also, in addition to reading the manuals, a mentor, if available, is another way to gain knowledge.  Good luck , be safe and have fun.

23 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Welcome aboard.  Reloading is the way to go for this game, but starting out loaded ammo is easier unless one has experience in making their own.  When starting out, I have suggested to folks that a single stage press is the best way to go if one does not have any experience in reloading.  A single stage press allows you to  familiarize yourself with each step of the process.  Most folks use a progressive press for volume reloading, especially if one reloads for two, but if you have access to a single stage press, it's best to start there.  Also, in addition to reading the manuals, a mentor, if available, is another way to gain knowledge.  Good luck , be safe and have fun.

Thanks Tex, great advice.   I have reloaded often in the past with dad, and have both single and multi stage presses.   Probably could use a mentor.  Will ask around at the local group we plan to join.  Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I always heard a clean desk was a sign of a sick mind, I figured it holds true with a work bench also. :P:D

Randy

I like the way you think

It's a lot more than it used to be, especially if you're just getting started.  Based on current prices for 38 special, using new brass (1st time), Titegroup powder, small pistol primers and 125 gr bullets, the estimated cost is approx. 40 cents a round or $20 per box of 50.  That estimate is based on current prices i.e. replacement cost.  The average cost per round would drop considerably if one had stockpiled components, which many of the folks here have done over the years.  It's all relative as compared to manufactured ammo, it is cheaper.

If I calculated right using brand new Starline brass it would be 36 cents per round. Of course the second time through at least the 10th time and probably more your cost would be 20 cents per round for .38 Special, that's using today's prices.

Randy

1 hour ago, Palmetto Traveller said:

That pic of Randy's loading room is giving my ocd a nervous twitch!

Mine as well!

Thinking I might need the assistance of Mr. Jamison to calm down! Twice!

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

22 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

You don’t have to have a lot of room, some have a really clean and organized area, me no so much so.

Randy 

How long does it take you to find a primer you dropped?  I bet if you clean up, you will find enough primers on the floor for the rest of your life. :)

38 Special is a good caliber to reload because once-fired brass is readily available online.  Current prices are ~10-cents a case.  I use once-fired brass for major matches and then reload it for practice and local matches.  RSE's estimate of 20-cents is reasonable for smokeless reloads.

59 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

How long does it take you to find a primer you dropped?  I bet if you clean up, you will find enough primers on the floor for the rest of your life. :)

Years ago if you dropped a primer you didn’t care, now I’ve learned to be extremely careful and not drop any..

Randy 

On 3/27/2023 at 9:25 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy 

I think I see Jimmy Hoffa buried in there.

9 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

If I calculated right using brand new Starline brass it would be 36 cents per round. Of course the second time through at least the 10th time and probably more your cost would be 20 cents per round for .38 Special, that's using today's prices.

Randy

I’m just a working man and can’t afford new brass, particularly Starline. I estimate under $0.1 a piece for used brass and figure I’ll get at least twenty loads out of one before it splits or the range gods claim it. That gets me just under Randy’s .2 per round cost.

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I think I see Jimmy Hoffa buried in there.

I’m just a working man and can’t afford new brass, particularly Starline. I estimate under $0.1 a piece for used brass and figure I’ll get at least twenty loads out of one before it splits or the range gods claim it. That gets me just under Randy’s .2 per round cost.

I only use the new and and then again as once fired, in my rifle only, for any match big enough that I have to rent a motel for and the Tennessee State Match. I don't want to travel and shoot for 3 or more days to have it ruined by a split case.

Randy

Archived