SASS Wire Forum

Wow, Tire Falls Off Pickup Truck and Kia Driver Pays The Price

Cypress Sun

17 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've seen some strange occurrences on the road before...but never anything like this. BTW, there were no major injuries incurred.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/watch-tire-pops-off-truck-causes-car-to-flip-on-chatsworth-freeway

WOW!! No major injuries either! Amazing!

Gotta love the way the tire comes back along with a final " and take this too":lol:

I cannot tell from the video but I cannot see any warning that the wheel was going to come off, even after expanding the video.  

Man, that was bizarre. 

Decades ago me and wife driving on Beach Blvd. going to Adventure Landing here in Jacksonville. A rear tire came off a pickup truck with wheels extended from body coming straight for us when it hit the divided medium curb and bounced back giving us and other drivers chance to stop. 

When we drove behind and parked by the truck, we saw all the wheel bolts were sheared off.

Most of those stupid looking wheels are held on with stupid looking lug nuts not properly torqued, missing centering device and the wheel studs are probably to short.  But it looks super cool. 

Too bad the reporter doesn't know the difference between a wheel and just a tire.

5 years ago I saw this exact thing happen, but on a small car. I had just told the kids "look at that guys wheel wiggling around, that is going to be trouble", and them BAM, it flew off. I had moved over to the furthest lane just because I didn't want to be behind this guy. The kids thought it was fun, watching this guy slide all over the road, but he managed to get it stopped OK.

I would love to see an after action report on why that truck wheel came off. I would bet the wheel was over torqued. 

The report that the KIA driver only had minor injuries says a lot about how that car is built along with safety features. If anyone would have told me that a KIA Soul could have an accident like this and the driver could escape with minor injuries I would have said the were high on something. 

While glad there were no major injuries, it is not surprising.   The kia continued forward, gradually burning energy.  It lands on the crush zone front end then rocks over the passenger compartment.  Remember, it is not the fall that kills, it is the sudden stop.

9 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

The KIA driver is the luckiest person in the world.  To survive such a horrible accident is incredible

The guys in front of him and behind him who didn't get hit and flipped were even luckier!

Forty-five years of law practice told me that anything that can happen, eventually will.....many weird happenings.

Kias can take a hit. My wife ended up rolling down a freeway embankment in the rain in a Kia sportage ( the soft top convertible one they had years ago. Hard to over front seats, rest of the back was soft top) And ended up on the roof. One and a half revolutions.   She came out of it uninjured. 

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

While glad there were no major injuries, it is not surprising.   The kia continued forward, gradually burning energy.  It lands on the crush zone front end then rocks over the passenger compartment.  Remember, it is not the fall that kills, it is the sudden stop.

As Pat said

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The report that the KIA driver only had minor injuries says a lot about how that car is built along with safety features.

It took a lot of years for designers to realize that the strongest cars in terms of survivability were ones designed to fall apart.

Archived