SASS Wire Forum

Cowtown (AZ) History?

Cholla

I am working on an article about Cowtown. My understanding is that the original shooters were invited by Nix to shoot there through the efforts of Jim Martin doing fast draw demonstrations at the movie set town on top of the hill. Where were the first shoots? Same place as now? When were the first buildings made? What are the bleacher bases from? When did it become a SASS venue? What's the story of the Cowtown shooters association? When did the town set close? When did the fire happen? What building or buildings caught fire?

There is a history of Cowtown written somewhere.  Call Gail and ask her.  The bleacher bases are from the grandstands when Nix use to put on a show in the arena.

Cholla,

Jim Martin lives in Kingman. He might be up for a conversation regarding Cowtown? We visited with him three years ago while dropping off pistols for his action job. Pretty sure I have his number.

Tully

On 3/26/2023 at 6:08 PM, Cholla said:

I am working on an article about Cowtown. My understanding is that the original shooters were invited by Nix to shoot there through the efforts of Jim Martin doing fast draw demonstrations at the movie set town on top of the hill. Where were the first shoots? Same place as now? When were the first buildings made? What are the bleacher bases from? When did it become a SASS venue? What's the story of the Cowtown shooters association? When did the town set close? When did the fire happen? What building or buildings caught fire?

Yo Cholla; I have an article from Cowtown Shootout 1995 if you're interested.

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Cholla did not receive your e-mail to me.

JRJ

I received your email. I don't see anything attached.

12 hours ago, Cholla said:

I received your email. I don't see anything attached.

ok send me your email address.

6 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

I was told by Latigo - long time caretaker of Cowtown that the stone building at the entrance to Cowtown was a stagecoach stop between Phoenix and Wickenburg back In the day.

Yep it was a Stage stop many years ago. You can also purchase A copy of Ron Nix' s building his dream of Cowtown with rare photos & such History and etc. Sale price $249.00. Seller of book is; Sunny Day Books in Mayer, Az. 5 star rating. I do have autographed copy signed by Ron Nix. Fantastic reading. & lots of photos.

Archived