SASS Wire Forum

Front Sight Modification for 51' Navy - ?

Dang It Dan 13202

So, you've said "51 Navy" a few times but I still don't know if you have a Pietta or Uberti percussion gun, or a Uberti conversion.  Nor how old your guns are.  On the Uberti '51 Conversion, they changed from the small brass post to a much taller brass post a few years back (6 or 8 maybe?).  I have guns with both and much prefer the taller ones.  I bought some of the taller ones from Cimarron and then misplaced them, and then got some more from Taylors as I was ordering other parts from them (still haven't put them on).  I cannot say if Uberti started putting the taller sights on the cap'n'ball '51 or not.  VTI shows the same p/n for percussion and conversion, but the picture is of the smaller one.  If you have an Uberti and have the shorter sights, you might want to try their taller ones, might be easier than cutting a dovetail.  I don't know if the taller sights would fit on a Pietta '51 or not.  These guns have the taller sights to give you an idea.  If you already have the tall ones and want bigger, then dovetail away!

Brace 51 RM-small.jpg

2 hours ago, Dang It Dan 13202 said:

So the Navy comes with a small brass bead.  Is it legal to cut a dovetail in the barrel and install a new brass blade or would this be considered an adjustable sight?

YES.

REF: SHB p.35 

Revolver – Fixed Sight Models

- Allowed Exceptions:

Archived