SASS Wire Forum

Answered-thanks, Opinions on Lee 9mm dies wanted

Eyesa Horg

I'm toying with maybe reloading 9mm. What has your experience been with the Lee 4 die set?

My preference would be a conversion and tool head for my Dillon SDB, but that is a pricey way to go comparatively and I don't expect to be loading gazillions of them! So, the turret press with dies may be my best option. Figured the Lee set may be good as it comes with the factory crimp die and shell holder.

I use Lee dies, and RCBS die's.  They're all good enough for general purpose ammo; for match ammo I might

prefer a Redding die set. 

I adjust them for crimp and COL by using the plunk test - load a few and see that they

go plunk when I drop them into the barrel (removed from the gun).

SC

The only Dillon dies I use are 45 Colt that came with the XL650.  The rest are Lee: 223/5.56*, 30 Carbine*, 308*, 300 Savage, 30-06, 350 Legend, 380*, 9mm*, 38/357,* 40S&W*. 10mm & 45ACP*.  

*Two dies sets, one installed in XL650 tool head & second installed in Lee breech lock bushings.  Single sets are installed in Lee breech lock bushings.  The 38/357 are install in aftermarket 38/357 tool head.

I have zero complaints with any lee dies with the exception of 44/40 lol. I've loaded a few thousand 9mm on my lee loadmaster with the lee 4 die set. They've chambered in everything I've put them in. I did pull a barrel and did a plink test while setting up my dies so I knee they'd work.

Yep. Like they said. Lee dies work great. Just make sure you use the plunk test when setting them up and they produce good ammo. 

Sam Sackett 

Another user of Lee dies. +1

Excellent Gents, I think I got what I need to know. Much Obliged

EH

If anyone has an SDB setup with toolhead for around $100 let me know for consideration please.

You won't go wrong with Lee dies. I have several in different calibers and they have all performed just fine.

Lucky :D

Just ordered up a set from Brownells, surprisingly they had the best price I could find , $52 and change.

• Eyesa Horg changed the title to Answered-thanks, Opinions on Lee 9mm dies wanted

Archived