SASS Wire Forum

My new toy

Rye Miles #13621

Just now, Calamity Kris said:

I love my 617.  Enjoy it.

We have a "Rimfire challenge" shoot once a month at my cowboy club. You can bring any .22 you want and as many as you want for different categories! I'm looking forward to shooting this 617. Thanks, glad to hear you enjoy yours!B)

5 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

My 617.  I purchased it used several years ago.  

617.jpg

Very nice...... I wanted the 6" but I bought mine from a pard. 4" will have to do!!

I have had my 617 for more than 20 years now, it’s a 6 shot and I have no idea how many rounds I have put thru it now but it’s still a tack driver, it shoots cheap Remingtons the best which is a plus, your going to love that gun

Before “The Silliness” I checked out both the 4” and 6” 617. The weight of the 6” surprised me, but the 4”, though heavier than I expected, balanced well.  I ended up passing on both as I have a 6” model 17-3. I was thinking “maybe later”. Last week I saw the first 617 that I have seen in over 3 1/2 years at my LGS. It was a 6”. I sat “was” because it was gone 2 days later when I went in again. 

Congrats on the new toy, Rye. You’re gonna love that Speed Beez speedloader system. I have one for my model 63. :D

Congrats RYE.

I have the same setup (10-shot and the same Speed Beez, except mine is the 6" like Calamity Kris posted.

I had the option of the 4 or 6" after shooting both of them and testing them for accuracy.   The particular 6"

I chose was a tad more accurate.... so I got it.

PLUS, the friend who sold it to me has a whole darn collection of those 17 variations, including another 6".

Enjoy!

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Before “The Silliness” I checked out both the 4” and 6” 617. The weight of the 6” surprised me, but the 4”, though heavier than I expected, balanced well.  I ended up passing on both as I have a 6” model 17-3. I was thinking “maybe later”. Last week I saw the first 617 that I have seen in over 3 1/2 years at my LGS. It was a 6”. I sat “was” because it was gone 2 days later when I went in again. 

Congrats on the new toy, Rye. You’re gonna love that Speed Beez speedloader system. I have one for my model 63. :D

Guess where I purchased my 617?  Yep, The Stockade.  I really liked that store............

44 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Guess where I purchased my 617?  Yep, The Stockade.  I really liked that store............

:D I used to like that store as well. Bought some great guns there and lots of other goodies. 

REY:   a word of caution.

With the speed bees and the 10 shot 617, its possible...... and highly probable, that you can burn thru 100 rounds in just

a very short period of time.     Your loading is effortless and very fast.    And shooting 10 rounds in that 617 can be

pretty fast also.

..........Widder

8 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

REY:   a word of caution.

With the speed bees and the 10 shot 617, its possible...... and highly probable, that you can burn thru 100 rounds in just

a very short period of time.     Your loading is effortless and very fast.    And shooting 10 rounds in that 617 can be

pretty fast also.

..........Widder

I’ll be mainly using it once a month for a Rimfire challenge we have. 50 rounds through each gun for each category. I will be practicing with it though so yea lots if rounds will be burned through very easily and quick ! 

I'm waiting for a 10 shot 44 mag. :P

Nice set up, Rye. Ya got me wanting to go shopping now.

I have a 1958 Model 18 Combat Masterpiece.  Accurate and a great trainer.  Never to be sold, though I might trade it for a Python in .22 LR.  Might, but not sure.

20210423_183309.jpg

Handled a Smith 617 today. I was surprised at how heavy and solid that gun felt. Nice and tight. Price tag was about $950 so I let him put it back in the case. Seems a touch high for a 22...

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Handled a Smith 617 today. I was surprised at how heavy and solid that gun felt. Nice and tight. Price tag was about $950 so I let him put it back in the case. Seems a touch high for a 22...

Yea $950 is retail for that, I paid $650 from a pard used. $200 for the Speedez loader box with 100 rounds!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yea $950 is retail for that, I paid $650 from a pard used. $200 for the Speedez loader box with 100 rounds!

Again, I was impressed with the revolver itself. I guess the way I should look at it is initial cost is really the only expense I’ll have since I have about a bazillion rounds of 22 ammo. And this is finally a gun I never have to reload for! Lol

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Again, I was impressed with the revolver itself. I guess the way I should look at it is initial cost is really the only expense I’ll have since I have about a bazillion rounds of 22 ammo. And this is finally a gun I never have to reload for! Lol

BINGO !!!

If you think the 617 is pricey, try to add a couple of Volquartsen Scorpions to your armory, along with a few 10/22 custom rifles.

Your banker will start worrying about you mighty quick..... :lol:

In reality, it ain't really the caliber that you are buying, but rather the investment in a high quality firearm that will last

for many generations and probably NEVER have to be sent back to the factory for repairs.

My biggest problem with these expensive pistols is that my favorite is the S&W model 41.    OUCH!

My first model 41 was in 1975.......... $147

My last model 41 was in 2021........... $1099. (saw one in the case at Smoky Mtn Gun last week for $1284.00

..........Widder

14 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I was also surprised by the way they felt weight-wise. I thought the 6” was front heavy but the 4” felt more balanced and very steady. 

On 3/28/2023 at 2:35 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Here's 3 of my 617s. I like them a lot. Bottom to top is a 4" I carry in the woods with me. Next is a custom 6" for competition. On top is the 8 3/8 which is like cheating. 

20230328_101449.thumb.jpg.1f05044745566613660cee632648cf21.jpg

I did not know they made an 8 3/8” model. :)That’s super cool!

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was also surprised by the way they felt weight-wise. I thought the 6” was front heavy but the 4” felt more balanced and very steady. 

I did not know they made an 8 3/8” model. :)That’s super cool!

They don't anymore. They run 1300+ so kind of expensive. But that's cheap compared to the custom 6". I won't post how stupid I was:ph34r:

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

If you think the 617 is pricey, try to add a couple of Volquartsen Scorpions to your armory, along with a few 10/22 custom rifles.

Your banker will start worrying about you mighty quick..... :lol:

In reality, it ain't really the caliber that you are buying, but rather the investment in a high quality firearm that will last

for many generations and probably NEVER have to be sent back to the factory for repairs.

My biggest problem with these expensive pistols is that my favorite is the S&W model 41.    OUCH!

My first model 41 was in 1975.......... $147

My last model 41 was in 2021........... $1099. (saw one in the case at Smoky Mtn Gun last week for $1284.00

..........Widder

I just acquired a Smith model 57 two months ago. Traded off something that never got shot and this was a GREAT trade for me. I LOVE this 57! Most accurate revolver I have and it's easy to shoot. I've been reloading for it and so far cannot find a load that does not compliment the gun.

I agree with your assessment on the gun being an investment that will outlast me. That littlebig 617 might just find its way home with me.

I got mine a couple of months ago.Shoot a 2 gun match with it.Been doing pretty good with it.

Largo

Archived