SASS Wire Forum

TARGET PAINT

Dusty Devil Dale

I use the gallon size paint and the cheapest dollar-store roller I can find.  Get the 12" and cut them in half and use them on a small roller handle.

Oops paint in the gallon and 5 gal can be found relatively cheaply.  At our club, I use Black for our targets, it seems to be on sale for around $12 a gallon on a regular basis at our Walmart.  Black also covers really well, so you use less paint.

I can use the same paint tray for years since I get the dollar store shower caps (a bazillion per package) and line the tray with a shower cap.  Makes clean-up a breeze.

Totes

Is winter over yet? two pages on PAINT.  Buy cheap leftover paint and' "PAINT THE TARGETS". :D Why does everything  turn into Rocket Science?

Has anyone tried the battery powered sprayers ? I see them on Amazon and they use makita battery packs. I was thinking you can get paint a lot cheaper by the gallon and if those sprayers worked ok you could cover a target in one or two passes. It would be fast and cheaper if the sprayers work

we use grease on the shotgun patterning board , applied with roller - no cleaning involved really , not sure how to gigment it but its cheap - you use used grease 

11 hours ago, John E. Law said:

You may want to try the stuff before you go naysaying. Each can will easily cover 3 the amount of the high end Home Depot sprays and it hold up against the actual shots, a lot better than i ever expected. If you set up auto order shipping is free THAT's $6 per can with 3x the coverage of a regular quality spray paint. Smearing latex on steel targets IMO ruins the targets over time. It gets so thick you can no longer get coverage paint them without removing the old paint build-up and grinding them clean isn't worth it. 

You do you but I'll spend the few extra bucks and buy once cry once to have my AR500 steel targets painted, protected, and looking awesome for years to come while requiring almost no maintenance. 

JEL

We have tried it extensively.  We have been using it off and on for several years.  I'm not "naysaying".  I believe I said the product is "wonderful", but the cost is less wonderful, and our club has other priorities for that money.   

I'm very aware of its coverage capability and it's ease of application.  But our club shoots two five-stage or six-stage matches each month.  Each stage usually has 8 to 10 target plates, (excluding SG, which we do not paint.)  

That means we paint 80 to 100 targets per month, with repainting between (usually 2) posses.   So we paint 160 to 200 targets monthly. 

Each can of Steel Target Paint will do about 15 plates, varying by the number of hits put on the plates by a posse.  So for each month we use about 1-1/2 cans per 2-day stage x 10 stages = 15 cans/month. 

The price quote I got from the distributors website was $6.50/can, plus the shipping for 48 cans which was $73.  That is over $100/month, just for temporary target painting, and it does not count our Annual Match with five or six posses each shooting 11 stages.

So my cost estimate of $1,100 is pretty low end. 

And again, we have other priorities for that kind of  money. 

But I grant that the product is the best we have seen from a spray can. 

28 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

..., with repainting between (usually 2) posses....

Wow.  I've never been to a match (mostly all the central Texas clubs but a few others) that has repainted between posses.   And on a good day there could be 4 posses.  I guess even if they wanted to, lack of side berms would make it difficult since the posses rarely all start or end a stage at the same time.

8 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Wow.  I've never been to a match (mostly all the central Texas clubs but a few others) that has repainted between posses.   And on a good day there could be 4 posses.  I guess even if they wanted to, lack of side berms would make it difficult since the posses rarely all start or end a stage at the same time.

Me neither and I've shot all over the country. Our monthly match gets a coat at set up, that's it. Our 2 day annual match the stages will get painted once in the AM unless there is an unusual, difficult to see, or distant target that is not of the norm. If you're painting every stage at a monthly? Wow, that's a lot and no wonder cheap paint is needed. 

JEL

17 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Has anyone tried the battery powered sprayers ? I see them on Amazon and they use makita battery packs. I was thinking you can get paint a lot cheaper by the gallon and if those sprayers worked ok you could cover a target in one or two passes. It would be fast and cheaper if the sprayers work

Work great. HOWEVER, the cleanup makes them not worth the trouble.

Buy the 3" paint roller frames vice a 4". This way a standard 9" paint roller can be cut into thirds. A three pack of inexpensive covers will make 27 3" rollers that end up costing less than 50 cents a piece. 

Then pick up some 2 gallon plastic buckets with lids and pour about 1 gallon of paint into each bucket.  Add one of the mesh grids and now there is no need to transfer paint to trays. 

Buckets are easier to carry and overall are less messy than pouring paint into the trays. 

5 hours ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Let's go for three pages.:D

Three pages? Surely, you're joking! :P

I just ordered paint from here.

https://www.rangestore.net/

This is the best target paint I’ve used. The black and blue are great, paints twice as the high performance Rustoleum. The white and orange tended to sag but it’s been a few years since I tried the orange so I ordered more to give it a try. I normally only paint for the State Championship and I’m pretty picky about how it looks.  These are 16 oz. cans and it’s been my experience it will cover new raw metal targets with one coat.

Randy 

880621915_Rangetargets006.thumb.JPG.8acf5eb24ae31bbf8c61b7688a341df7.JPG526890348_Rangetargets009.thumb.JPG.f45a03ee1ee2e03209f19713d64cbf3a.JPG2079893660_Rangetargets011.thumb.JPG.cc78c24e914330d7cba2c763ce783ee9.JPG2100335312_Rangetargets013.thumb.JPG.d4f07e969d61fdbd3436892776ebac03.JPG817616430_Rangetargets016.thumb.JPG.01540f575f36e10fe17154bbf7322aee.JPG1761880365_Rangetargets027.thumb.JPG.df743e214288a68f157cbb04fb6e57b6.JPG70161875_Rangetargets028.thumb.JPG.cdddd0a1765ef145e5fb82fde0851618.JPG

13 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Work great. HOWEVER, the cleanup makes them not worth the trouble.

Buy the 3" paint roller frames vice a 4". This way a standard 9" paint roller can be cut into thirds. A three pack of inexpensive covers will make 27 3" rollers that end up costing less than 50 cents a piece. 

Then pick up some 2 gallon plastic buckets with lids and pour about 1 gallon of paint into each bucket.  Add one of the mesh grids and now there is no need to transfer paint to trays. 

Buckets are easier to carry and overall are less messy than pouring paint into the trays. 

Great suggestions.  Thank you!

Randy does a great job. We have tried cheap aerosols, expensive aerosols, cheap gallons and multiple application methods. Letting Randy do it is my personal favorite.

Imis

On 3/28/2023 at 2:50 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I just ordered paint from here.

https://www.rangestore.net/

This is the best target paint I’ve used. The black and blue are great, paints twice as the high performance Rustoleum. The white and orange tended to sag but it’s been a few years since I tried the orange so I ordered more to give it a try. I normally only paint for the State Championship and I’m pretty picky about how it looks.  These are 16 oz. cans and it’s been my experience it will cover new raw metal targets with one coat.

Randy 

880621915_Rangetargets006.thumb.JPG.8acf5eb24ae31bbf8c61b7688a341df7.JPG526890348_Rangetargets009.thumb.JPG.f45a03ee1ee2e03209f19713d64cbf3a.JPG2079893660_Rangetargets011.thumb.JPG.cc78c24e914330d7cba2c763ce783ee9.JPG2100335312_Rangetargets013.thumb.JPG.d4f07e969d61fdbd3436892776ebac03.JPG817616430_Rangetargets016.thumb.JPG.01540f575f36e10fe17154bbf7322aee.JPG1761880365_Rangetargets027.thumb.JPG.df743e214288a68f157cbb04fb6e57b6.JPG70161875_Rangetargets028.thumb.JPG.cdddd0a1765ef145e5fb82fde0851618.JPG

I think SASS should award a BUCKLE for the fastest target painter and an  award for best target painter. More categories  on the way.:blink:

Archived