SASS Wire Forum

TARGET PAINT

Dusty Devil Dale

Target Paint cost has skyrocketed, and so has shipping cost for paint in aerosol cans bought via mail order.  The cheapest paint out there is sold by Home Depot, Lowes,  or Wallmart, (Project Source brand) and even that is now pushing $3/can.  It has very little pigment, so it seems like it takes forever to repaint a target plate.

Most better quality target paint is $6.50/can or more (all the way up to $37/12 oz can!)  Shipping charge (UPS) on a recent order of 48 12 oz cans was $73 or close to $1.50/can.  Wow!

So I am curious.  Has anyone found a way to avoid this cost?  What are clubs around the country doing for target paint for your monthly or larger matches?  We are thinking about skipping paint entirely in monthlies and just buying paint for our larger annual matches.   

Please share your thoughts.

We paint before every match, local or annual.  We also paint bullets splats after every shooter.  (This ends disagreements regarding hits or misses as targets can be inspected by spotters.)  The $2.48/can we pay Wal*Mart is just part of the cost of shooting.  (I wish primers had merely doubled in price.)

When I was painting targets for Up the Creek Gang monthlies I used a 6” paint roller and whatever gallon of latex paint (of the appropriate color) that was on the bargain shelf at Lowe’s or Home Depot.  I bought maybe three different colors and didn’t have to buy paint again during the 2-3 years I was painting targets. The 6” roller tray and roller was easy to carry from target to target and a single pass was enough to add more than enough paint, and it only took a few slightly overlapping passes to paint an entire target.  Painting targets was quick (much faster than using spray paint) and easy, as was cleaning the roller cover and paint tray when I finished.  Needless to say, this method was MUCH cheaper than using spray paint.

7 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

We paint before every match, local or annual.  We also paint bullets splats after every shooter.  (This ends disagreements regarding hits or misses as targets can be inspected by spotters.)  The $2.48/can we pay Wal*Mart is just part of the cost of shooting.  (I wish primers had merely doubled in price.)

We are noticing that the cheap Walmart or Home Depot paint is getting thinner and thinner, and out of the last 48 cans, we had 3 with no propellant.  We had to charge them via compressor.  

1 minute ago, Hellbender said:

When I was painting targets for Up the Creek Gang monthlies I used a 6” paint roller and whatever gallon of latex paint (of the appropriate color) that was on the bargain shelf at Lowe’s or Home Depot.  I bought maybe three different colors and didn’t have to buy paint again during the 2-3 years I was painting targets. The 6” roller tray and roller was easy to carry from target to target and a single pass was enough to add more than enough paint, and it only took a few slightly overlapping passes to paint an entire target.  Painting targets was quick (much faster than using spray paint) and easy, as was cleaning the roller cover and paint tray when I finished.  Needless to say, this method was MUCH cheaper than using spray paint.

We considered that option.  So a couple questions:

1) is it really less costly--how often did you have to buy paint (now $40/gal for cheapest)

2) do people damage expensive clothing by paint splatter off rollers, or spills? 

13 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Painting targets was quick (much faster than using spray paint) and easy, as was cleaning the roller cover and paint tray when I finished.

You must be a die hard.  I despise cleaning paint rollers and trays.

11 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

We considered that option.  So a couple questions:

1) is it really less costly--how often did you have to buy paint (now $40/gal for cheapest)

2) do people damage expensive clothing by paint splatter off rollers, or spills? 

1. it was much less costly because I bought paint that was previously mixed and either not bought or returned to the store.  These were on a separate, small shelf up against the paint counter, and the cost was somewhere around $8 a gallon.  I think I bought 3 gallons, each a different color, and between Lowes and Home Depot, I was able to find colors that worked.  I didn't need to buy more paint during the 2-3 years I was painting targets.  So, even if you bought more expensive paint, I think it would be well worth it.

2. I was the only one who painted targets and I painted them a few days before a match wearing old work clothes (Up the Creek Gang has a dedicated cowboy town where targets always stay out).  I don't remember any splatter, but that's probably because I ran the roller over those ridges in the tray a few times before applying the paint.  And luckily, I didn't have any spills.  

4 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

+1000 here!  We have been using latex paint since before 2007.  Our (Illowa Irregulars) latex paint comes from Menard's.  Part of the expense is for the roller covers.  We have taken to buying the large covers and cutting them in half on a bandsaw, then using 4" roller handles.  We do two colors, one for pistol, another for rifle.  One gallon of each will last most of the season if the painters are careful and don't spill a lot transferring to the trays. When we do get into a 2nd gallon, there will be left-over that carries into the next season. We have to do set-up on Saturday before shooting on Sunday, so the painters wear appropriate clothing.  I have gone the spray paint route for our annuals and state shoot and have spent a lot more doing it that way.  The '23 state shoot will be done in latex.  One caution with rollers - it is tempting to grab the handle and whack the metal part on the rim of a convenient container to knock the cover off...Bad idea, as the plastic pieces will break, rendering the handle useless!  We try to use up all the paint in a tray, or drain any leftover back into the can, then just let the thin coat of paint dry in the tray.  At the end of the season the cheap plastic trays can be tossed.

CS

9 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

There was an onsite water hose that I used for that.  I always cleaned the little roller covers but I sometimes just let the paint dry in the tray after pouring off any leftover back into the bucket.

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Target Paint cost has skyrocketed, and so has shipping cost for paint in aerosol cans bought via mail order.  The cheapest paint out there is sold by Home Depot, Lowes,  or Wallmart, (Project Source brand) and even that is now pushing $3/can.  It has very little pigment, so it seems like it takes forever to repaint a target plate.

Most better quality target paint is $6.50/can or more (all the way up to $37/12 oz can!)  Shipping charge (UPS) on a recent order of 48 12 oz cans was $73 or close to $1.50/can.  Wow!

So I am curious.  Has anyone found a way to avoid this cost?  What are clubs around the country doing for target paint for your monthly or larger matches?  We are thinking about skipping paint entirely in monthlies and just buying paint for our larger annual matches.   

Please share your thoughts.

We don't repaint after each shooter. State shoots, we do repaint after each Posse. For the original repaint after setup before the match, we use 6 inch rollers and paint from gallon cans which can often be found cheap as dented and damaged cans. Touch up we do use spray and as said, is expensive.

39 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

There was an onsite water hose that I used for that.  I always cleaned the little roller covers but I sometimes just let the paint dry in the tray after pouring off any leftover back into the bucket.

Put aluminum foil in tray then throw foil away

Steel Target Paint – RangeStore.net

This is the only paint to use for steel targets. It has 3 times the pigment as regular spray paint and lasts a long time considering the abuse it takes. It covers completely with just a quick pass over and one can will outlast 4 cans of the high quality Home Depot stuff let alone the cheap watery generic stuff they sell and most clubs attempt to use. I guarantee that you will love this paint for your matches.

JEL

These are my personal targets painted with the steel target paint. Coverage is phenomenal.

JEL

20220625_111206.jpg

5 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I'm coming to your house to Play!

You would be most welcome dad. Sorry we missed you at the Ides.... unforeseen circumstances.

JEL

We have been using the cheapo black flat spray can stuff that we get in bulk from typically Home Depot.  I like the Flat Black better, but we will use whatever we can get cheap, but like JEL says above, it's cheap stuff and doesn't hold up.

For monthly matches, we paint before the match and that's it.  For the MD State Championship, we paint at the beginning of every posse, but the cans are on the bays so if the posse feels the need, they are welcome to paint again, but I think I only saw that happen a couple of times when the posses were 20+ shooters.

I watched as the Home Depot employee was repricing some of the Rustoleum Professional paint from $6.99 to 10.99 and just cringed.  For that kind of money, it ought to apply itself!

I will have to check our current inventory and consider switching out to something better.  (I'd really like to get away from the Black we use all the time and go with the Blue they use in Florida.  I can sometimes even see that through the smoke!)

1 minute ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

We have been using the cheapo black flat spray can stuff that we get in bulk from typically Home Depot.  I like the Flat Black better, but we will use whatever we can get cheap, but like JEL says above, it's cheap stuff ad doesn't hold up.

For monthly matches, we paint before the match and that's it.  For the MD State Championship, we paint and the beginning of every posse, but the cans are on the bays so if the posse feels the need, they are welcome to paint again, but I think I only saw that happen a couple of times when the posses were 20+ shooters.

I watched as the Home Depot employee was repricing some of the Rustoleum Professional paint from $6.99 to 10.99 and just cringed.  For that kind of money, it ought to apply itself!

I will have to check our current inventory and consider switching out to something better.  (I'd really like to get away from the Black we use all the time and go with the Blue they use in Florida.  I can sometimes even see that through the smoke!)

Buy a case of that paint I linked. You won't regret it. I wouldn't paint anything with it that I wanted to look nice, but for targets? There's nothing better or better priced. $6 a can and it lasts.

JEL

3 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

Buy a case of that paint I linked. You won't regret it. I wouldn't paint anything with it that I wanted to look nice, but for targets? There's nothing better or better priced. $6 a can and it lasts.

JEL

Back in my earliest SASS days, about 2002/3, I was helping Chuckaroo do match setup and I was busily painting targets.  He comes over to find out why I am taking so long and says "You aren't painting a car, they're just going to shoot it!"  :wacko:  Lesson learned! :lol:

I purchase the cheapest interior flat black paint by the gallon that menards has. its around 16 bucks a gallon and we roll it on. 1 gallon will do 14 plus stages for my club. 

We have started using flat latex bought in gallon (litre) cans as well.

We paint the day before with disposable brushes and try to rinse them in water, but if that don't work, pfht!

2 hours ago, Hellbender said:

If you just pull the roller off the handle, leave it in the paint can for next use, clean up is easier only dealing with the pan.  Your roller has to be small enough to fit inside the can, 9-12" rollers drop into a 5 gal. can.  One gallon can would need smaller roller cover.

8 hours ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

+1000 here!  We have been using latex paint since before 2007.  Our (Illowa Irregulars) latex paint comes from Menard's.  Part of the expense is for the roller covers.  We have taken to buying the large covers and cutting them in half on a bandsaw, then using 4" roller handles.  We do two colors, one for pistol, another for rifle.  One gallon of each will last most of the season if the painters are careful and don't spill a lot transferring to the trays. When we do get into a 2nd gallon, there will be left-over that carries into the next season. We have to do set-up on Saturday before shooting on Sunday, so the painters wear appropriate clothing.  I have gone the spray paint route for our annuals and state shoot and have spent a lot more doing it that way.  The '23 state shoot will be done in latex.  One caution with rollers - it is tempting to grab the handle and whack the metal part on the rim of a convenient container to knock the cover off...Bad idea, as the plastic pieces will break, rendering the handle useless!  We try to use up all the paint in a tray, or drain any leftover back into the can, then just let the thin coat of paint dry in the tray.  At the end of the season the cheap plastic trays can be tossed.

CS

As one of the poor suckers who get to paint after setup, I have learned to wear appropriate clothing (the shorts and t-shirt I wear every setup.)  Slop it on and let it dry.  If it is thick enough, a hit will be very distinguishable.  The Count sneaks out after setup is done and uses a spray can of something to outline every target.  He shoots black and needs an outline around the target.

Chancy

I second (or third or fourth) the Rangestore.net target paint. Covers with one pass.   If you set up an auto shipment (quarterly), the shipping is free.  If you don't need a shipment, they let you pause your auto shipment and restart when you need it.

8 hours ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

As one of the poor suckers who get to paint after setup, I have learned to wear appropriate clothing (the shorts and t-shirt I wear every setup.)  Slop it on and let it dry.  If it is thick enough, a hit will be very distinguishable.  The Count sneaks out after setup is done and uses a spray can of something to outline every target.  He shoots black and needs an outline around the target.

Chancy

Funny thing about that BP business - In all the years since I started outlining the targets, not even one smokeless shooter has complained about the outlines either!   NOTES X2:  1. Our club's 20+ year old tradition for monthly matches uses blue for pistol and WHITE for rifle;  2.  Chancy has been known to fill the shooting bays with as much smoke as I do...!

For our state match, we buy 2 cases of black spray paint and 2 quarts of black to roll on the paint when the targets are first set.  Throughout the state match spray paint is used to cover the bullets marks.  There are two cans of spray paint at each of the 10 bays.  What's left in those 20 cans at the end of the match usually gets us through most of the season and the first matches the next spring.  Our season is March-October with our state match occuring in May.

19 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

We use cheap rollers and plastic disposable trays. Much better than spray paint. When you spray paint a lot gets wasted. Especially if there is any wind at all

20 hours ago, John E. Law said:

Steel Target Paint – RangeStore.net

This is the only paint to use for steel targets. It has 3 times the pigment as regular spray paint and lasts a long time considering the abuse it takes. It covers completely with just a quick pass over and one can will outlast 4 cans of the high quality Home Depot stuff let alone the cheap watery generic stuff they sell and most clubs attempt to use. I guarantee that you will love this paint for your matches.

JEL

I agree, the stuff is wonderful to work with. But at $8.50/can, including the expensive shipping, and using as many as 5 cans or more per day X 2 days/month (and 20 cans + for our annual), we can buy a bunch of new targets every year with that $1,100.  It just seems like too much to be spending only for temporary paint.  So we are looking for alternatives. 

3 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I agree, the stuff is wonderful to work with. But at $8.50/can, including the expensive shipping, and using as many as 5 cans or more per day X 2 days/month (and 20 cans + for our annual), we can buy a bunch of new targets every year with that $1,100.  It just seems like too much to be spending only for temporary paint.  So we are looking for alternatives. 

You may want to try the stuff before you go naysaying. Each can will easily cover 3 the amount of the high end Home Depot sprays and it hold up against the actual shots, a lot better than i ever expected. If you set up auto order shipping is free THAT's $6 per can with 3x the coverage of a regular quality spray paint. Smearing latex on steel targets IMO ruins the targets over time. It gets so thick you can no longer get coverage paint them without removing the old paint build-up and grinding them clean isn't worth it. 

You do you but I'll spend the few extra bucks and buy once cry once to have my AR500 steel targets painted, protected, and looking awesome for years to come while requiring almost no maintenance. 

JEL

I like when targets have the edges painted a contrasting color, but that doesn't get done much.  What does get done at some clubs in this area is using a different color for one target in an array when it helps the shooter quickly identify what target the first or second 5 shots starts on, for example.  This is often a middle target.  Say,  3-3-3-2-1-3-3-3-4-5

Painting rifle and pistol targets different colors is also nice when the targets are so close.

Speaking as a blackpowder competitor in bygone days, orange is appreciated.  There is a reason most states require hunters to wear it.  Worst situation is black targets in the shade with the shooter facing the sun.  Everything disappears in the backlighted smoke cloud.  I skipped some matches that were set up that way.

Archived