SASS Wire Forum

Bounty Hunters

Rye Miles #13621

Is it just Hollywood that portrays bounty hunters as the most hated people on the earth? 
I would think the law would have appreciated them for bringing in killers and robbers and thieves.

Whadya think? 

38 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

On YouTube theres a Bounty Hunter, Paddy Mayo, who is a real ass hat. His ego and aggressiveness exceeds his minimal intelligence.

That’s fine but I was asking about if Hollywood made out the bounty hunters back in the day to be scumbags. It seems like that in every movie and tv series except for maybe Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Since I wasn't there.  Nor have I talked to anyone who was.  Therefore, I have NO CLUE!!

Well cmon man use your imagination!:lol: 

28 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s fine but I was asking about if Hollywood made out the bounty hunters back in the day to be scumbags. It seems like that in every movie and tv series except for maybe Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen.

As I recall, Josh Randle tangled with at least a couple of hated bounty hunters in different episodes of WDoA.  Usually, the kind who preferred to bring their quarry back dead.

CS

Actually modern "Bounty Hunters" answer to being "Skip Tracers" and are employed by Bail Bonds Agencies.  They are not bound by any of the restrictions or requirements of Police or Sheriff.  Can do pretty much anything they want to apprehend and deliver a Runner back to the courts.  Their fee is paid by the Bondsperson.  Skip tracers are not know for being "Nice People."  To do what they do one needs serious cajonies. 

I have met a couple “Skip Tracers”. You can find them easily enough, just look up the term “Douchebags”. I have also known some Repo Men. They were like Vampire Douchebags. Slept in the day, took cars at night. 

Now, I am sure there are more upstanding bounty hunters and repo men out there. My experience or encounters were with just a few people…and no, they weren’t hunting me or looking to repo my vehicles. 

I avoided repo men by paying my car loans. Much the same regarding bounty hunters. So I only know them from TV and the movies.

Elmore Leonard wrote a good Western novel titled "The Bounty Hunters".

I suppose you could say that Rooster Cogburn was a bounty hunter with a badge....

Howdy,

I knew a fella who was a part time repo man.

He had some real stories about how some guys hid and protected their

cars many months behind on payments.  

So who is the scumbag??????

When the regular recovery guys couldnt get the car they called him.

Best

CR

I'll have to admit, I tried bounty hunting a couple of times:

Coyotes, wolves, ground squirrels etc. and made a few buck back in the day, but still.....

8 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Sorry, I stepped away from SASS and cowboying.

That’s okay so did everyone else!:lol:

8 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I avoided repo men by paying my car loans. Much the same regarding bounty hunters. So I only know them from TV and the movies.

Elmore Leonard wrote a good Western novel titled "The Bounty Hunters".

I suppose you could say that Rooster Cogburn was a bounty hunter with a badge....

Thanks, I’ll have to check out that book!

The point @Chili Ron made is very valid. Who’s really the dirt bag in regards to bounty hunters or repo men? If people were upstanding citizens there’d be no need for either. 

On another note, I was privileged to fly cross country with 7 dirtbags and 5 US Marshals aboard a United Airlines flight back in 2007 or 2008. The US Marshals looked like 5 characters in a TV show series. 2 looked like bikers, 1 looked like a slick Latino gambler, 1 looked like security at a Louis Farrakhan rally and 1 looked like your average 30 year middle class dad on a Saturday. Those in custody looked like the Marshals except for the two heroin junky scarecrows. 
It takes rough men to do a rough job. 

This whole thread about bounty hunters and nobody has thought to mention Duane “Dog” Chapman from the hit TV show Dog the Bounty Hunter??!! We need to do better, fellas. 

Also, Paddy Mayo is not a real bounty hunter but he is a real d-bag.

C5360D02-B91F-450A-8D50-3A76C23AE04A.jpeg

One of my favorite quotes out of a movie comes from Hannie Caulder.

- You're a bounty hunter, you kill men...for money.

- You think of a better reason.

Always loved that skit.

4 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

This whole thread about bounty hunters and nobody has thought to mention Duane “Dog” Chapman from the hit TV show Dog the Bounty Hunter??!! We need to do better, fellas. 

When the navy sent my son to Hawaii they had no base housing for him, so the got him a cheap rental somewhere. First day on his way to work he sees Dog and his crew out front, thought that was cool. Second day he sees Dog running up his street. Third day Dog is out there again, decided he needed the navy to get him out of that neighborhood.

I don't know if that term was used for a killer of men pre-1900. I did a keyword search on newspaper.com from 1800 to 1900. In 1899 I had numerous hits for bounty hunters in reference to killing foxes. I found many mentions of bounties on gophers, rabbits, dogs, rattlesnakes, and other critters that may cause losses to farmers. I found bounties were paid for men to fight in the Civil War. I found nothing mentioned about the hunting or killing of men. There may have been those that hunted men for money under another name, or maybe it wasn't done as shown on the silver screen.

Whatever you call them, they eliminated the wolves in Montana till some folks imported Canadian ones.  You have to remember, that money was hard to come by and Ranchers wouldn't have paid unless it was essential to survival.

On 3/25/2023 at 6:50 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

One of the dumbest Westerns (as least as far as weaponry) ever. Never did get to see him try to load one of those .45/70's in that mare's leg! :lol:

I did that at a match once. Didn't load my '73. Got to the line.......click. I started shucking shells out of my belt and loading, after the stage was over my posse pards were laughing their collective @$$#S off. A la John Wayne, I carried a .45/70 round in the middle of my .45 Colt cartridge belt. They were sore disappointed they didn't get to see me try to load it in that '73

JHC

laughing baby #2.gif

On 3/25/2023 at 6:04 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Is it just Hollywood that portrays bounty hunters as the most hated people on the earth? 
I would think the law would have appreciated them for bringing in killers and robbers and thieves.

Whadya think? 

Just speculating, nothing but logic to back it up, but my guess the bounty hunters were largely a Hollweird creation. We've all seen the old westerns with wanted posters in the Marshal's ofc, Wanted Dead or Alive, 2-5-10,000 dollars. Really? That was one HELL of a lot of money back in the 1870's.

JMHO

JHC

I would think that the lack of law enforcement in the Old west that they would have encouraged bounty hunters to go after these thugs. Some towns only had 2-3 sheriff and deputies and lots of space in between towns! No phones to call ahead to the next town either. 

From what I have read, they really didn't care what a small criminal was doing if it wasn't affecting them. The edict often was to get out of town or get strung up. On rare occasions, a reward would be offered by Wells Fargo, the Pinkertons, etc, or even the state government, but it took a lot of misdeeds to get to that point. But, there were stock detectives hired by stock associations that killed "rustlers" who may or may not really have been rustling stock. The Johnson County War is one example. Tom Horn is another. They were given a bounty to do their work. It depends on which side you fall on to decide if they were heroes or villains. 

Howdy,

I often wonder how they identified folks years ago.

No driver lisc....no handy cameras....a description that would fit half the town....

Watch Hang em High.....think about it.

OOOPS wrong guy hangin from that tree??

Best

CR

4 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I often wonder how they identified folks years ago.

No driver lisc....no handy cameras....a description that would fit half the town....

Watch Hang em High.....think about it.

OOOPS wrong guy hangin from that tree??

Best

CR

Probably happened more than we know! 

Archived