SASS Wire Forum

Blueing left on old Winchester

Longmire44

The lever would have been case hardened like the hammer.  Nice case still on hammer.  The fire blue on the loading gate is very nice.  The one screw visible is pristine.  Hard to tell with one photo but it looks pretty done nice.

I would GUESS that you may have original finish all around.  The pictures of the roll marking are sharp enough that it was either a very good restoration that was done, or it is still original finish.  Worth looking closely at the bore to see what that barrel condition is! 

If still original, collector's value will certainly outweigh shooting value and you should want an appraisal on this one.

Is the rear sight missing it's stepped elevation bar ("elevator")?

good luck, and good find! GJ

One of the big drawbacks of working through GunBroker is verification of the condition when it is described only by the seller - no disinterested parties acting as a sales facilitator and escrow agent.  The better the condition, the more possibility exists of an inaccurate, incomplete description and photo record, especially with a low volume seller or a pawn shop.  And thinking that you can find a hidden gem that the hundreds of other potential buyers missed, is wishful thinking.  "Ain't no free lunch" in most transactions.

good luck, GJ

33 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

I collect old Winchesters and Colts This is what we call a " P.T. BARNUM" Winchester.

As in "there's one born every minute"?

Collecting and understanding these old gems can be quite challenging.

For instance Do you use Cody or the Manufacturer to date when your firearm was Made? very interesting question.

Best wishes

4 hours ago, Longmire44 said:

No doubt. Do have that inherent risk buying from Gunbroker. I would much rather buy it first hand or from an individual from here. Seems like everyone is pretty straightforward.

4 hours ago, Longmire44 said:

No doubt. Do have that inherent risk buying from Gunbroker. I would much rather buy it first hand or from an individual from here. Seems like everyone is pretty straightforward.

For a kick around 3rd model  SHOOTER, 2-3000 would be fair .If you do not reload just go buy a modern replica and enjoy. These guns can be finicky with finding the right load  that shoots well.

Archived