SASS Wire Forum

Here's a dumb thought for a Friday evening

Alpo

I'm watching Every Which Way but Loose. Philo and Orville have taken Clyde and gone off in search of Lynn, leaving Ma all alone - a defenseless old lady.

The Black Widows motorcycle gang shows up and proceeds to act normally for a movie motorcycle gang. They threaten and they destroy property.

So "defenseless old lady" Ma ups with a 30-inch model 97, and starts blasting. And every bike she hits explodes into a ball of flame.

Now normally I would think this is just standard movie "shoot the vehicle and it explodes".

But then I remembered that there is an actual shotshell called dragon's breath, that shoots fire.

And I just wondered if the "defenseless old lady" had, for some strange reason, a magazine full of dragon's breath, they would have actually blown up?

I think Dragon’s Breath rounds are full of an incendiary with no projectiles. I doubt they’d blow up motorcycles. 
I am not sure what the incendiary is but it purely flash, sparks and heat. 

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think Dragon’s Breath rounds are full of an incendiary with no projectiles. I doubt they’d blow up motorcycles. 
I am not sure what the incendiary is but it purely flash, sparks and heat. 

It's magnesium pellets and some other incendiary materials.

I've seen them used by a friend of mine. I didn't get to shoot one as he only had two. Although they were pretty cool looking, I can see why Florida and some other states frown on them. We were in the woods at dusk, it had just rained so we weren't really worried about setting the woods on fire...we should have been. The pine needles/dried vegetation tried to ignite but just smoldered instead. We had a gallon jug of water and we poured that on it, that was the end of the smoldering. If we'd have done it in dry conditions, it probably would have gotten out of hand pretty quick. I would also not want to shoot them through an decent shotgun as they generate temps in the 2,500 degree range.

11 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

It's magnesium pellets and some other incendiary materials.

I've seen them used by a friend of mine. I didn't get to shoot one as he only had two. Although they were pretty cool looking, I can see why Florida and some other states frown on them. We were in the woods at dusk, it had just rained so we weren't really worried about setting the woods on fire...we should have been. The pine needles/dried vegetation tried to ignite but just smoldered instead. We had a gallon jug of water and we poured that on it, that was the end of the smoldering. If we'd have done it in dry conditions, it probably would have gotten out of hand pretty quick. I would also not want to shoot them through a decent shotgun as they generate temps in the 2,500 degree range.

I read somewhere on a sales webpage that they didn’t contain magnesium but the flame sure looked and smelled like magnesium burning. I am not sure what’s in them, but I would never shoot them from my shotguns. 

We had a similar experience. A buddy of mine bought Dragons Breath shells at a gun show and wanted to fire them in the desert. There were several of us there and we tried to dissuade him but he fired one off anyway. The guy actually had the gall to ask if he could shoot them from my shotgun as he didn’t want to hurt his precious Benelli. SOB! 
Anyway, the sun was going down, we were finishing up and getting ready to head home when Joe Nimrod decided to have a “Hey guys, watch this!” moment. Before anyone could react, which included getting our ears on, he fired. Loud! And impressive! 
Even though it was Spring and it had rained a couple of days he caught a sage bush on fire as he was aiming at it. Thankfully I always have a fire extinguisher handy in my vehicle and I put the fire out. We then hung out for a while to be sure there weren’t any flare ups and because my buddy was such an arse we ended up driving a desert trail at night to get back to the highway. Jerk!

I used to buy “Bird Bombs” made by the same company that makes Dragons Breath. Those are great fun. Like mortars from a shotgun. They go up about 150 feet then explode with the report of an M80. I haven’t seen those in years. 

44 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I read somewhere on a sales webpage that they didn’t contain magnesium but the flame sure looked and smelled like magnesium burning. I am not sure what’s in them, but I would never shoot them from my shotguns. 

We had a similar experience. A buddy of mine bought Dragons Breath shells at a gun show and wanted to fire them in the desert. There were several of us there and we tried to dissuade him but he fired one off anyway. The guy actually had the gall to ask if he could shoot them from my shotgun as he didn’t want to hurt his precious Benelli. SOB! 
Anyway, the sun was going down, we were finishing up and getting ready to head home when Joe Nimrod decided to have a “Hey guys, watch this!” moment. Before anyone could react, which included getting our ears on, he fired. Loud! And impressive! 
Even though it was Spring and it had rained a couple of days he caught a sage bush on fire as he was aiming at it. Thankfully I always have a fire extinguisher handy in my vehicle and I put the fire out. We then hung out for a while to be sure there weren’t any flare ups and because my buddy was such an arse we ended up driving a desert trail at night to get back to the highway. Jerk!

I used to buy “Bird Bombs” made by the same company that makes Dragons Breath. Those are great fun. Like mortars from a shotgun. They go up about 150 feet then explode with the report of an M80. I haven’t seen those in years. 

I had forgotten about the bird bomb type ammo, so I went looking on the internet. American Specialty Ammo...DAMN - that stuff is expensive, I mean double DAMN expensive!!:o

You can still get bird bombs if you have a certificate as wildlife control officer ( game warden, LEO, or commercial pest control business ect ) but at $3 a round they are pretty expensive

5 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

You can still get bird bombs if you have a certificate as wildlife control officer ( game warden, LEO, or commercial pest control business ect ) but at $3 a round they are pretty expensive

Yep, that’s what I heard. When I bought them they were a buck a round unless you bought 25 or more then there were price breaks. 

Now I regret shooting them all off for holidays and such. :lol:

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My neighbor had a box of the bird bombs, pretty damn cool except about 50% went boom IN his coach gun.:blink: Had to use a dowel to get all the crap out of the barrel. After 2 went off in the barrel, he got rid of the rest. Glad it wasn't my gun!

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My neighbor had a box of the bird bombs, pretty damn cool except about 50% went boom IN his coach gun.:blink: Had to use a dowel to get all the crap out of the barrel. After 2 went off in the barrel, he got rid of the rest. Glad it wasn't my gun!

Dang! I never had that issue. Thankfully. 

Archived